Somac granules for reflux? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Somac granules for reflux?

Just wandering if anyone has experience using somac for their bubs reflux? DS2 is 7 wks old and our GP prescribed Somac granules for suspected reflux. It doesn't appear to be something regularly prescribed and is a PITA to dispense as the granules aren't dissolvable and I have to measure a quarter of a very small sachet. I hear the more commonly prescribed medication is Losec.

If u are familiar with Somac can u please let me know how it worked for your LO? Also what dose were u given? Any idea why I have been given Somac instead of Losec?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey sunnygirl. I don't have personal experience but work in pharmacy. Losec is generally the first choice and if that treatment isn't successful Somac or Nexium granules are given. We don't usually tell people to measure a quarter of the sachet though. Most doses would be 'dissolve the contents of one sachet in 10ml of cooled boiled water and give ...ml'. It is wasteful though.

Losec tablets don't dissolve easily either so that may be a reason your lo has been prescribed it as opposed to a clinical reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Just wandering if anyone has experience using somac for their bubs reflux? DS2 is 7 wks old and our GP prescribed Somac granules for suspected reflux. It doesn't appear to be something regularly prescribed and is a PITA to dispense as the granules aren't dissolvable and I have to measure a quarter of a very small sachet. I hear the more commonly prescribed medication is Losec.

If u are familiar with Somac can u please let me know how it worked for your LO? Also what dose were u given? Any idea why I have been given Somac instead of Losec?
    No idea what or why sunny but my DD is on losec which we have made up as a liquid at the compounding pharmacy so we don't have to bother with dissolving and wastage. Might be worth looking into? It's much easier but it is $50 a month where we get it so it's expensive..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Hey sunnygirl. I don't have personal experience but work in pharmacy. Losec is generally the first choice and if that treatment isn't successful Somac or Nexium granules are given. We don't usually tell people to measure a quarter of the sachet though. Most doses would be 'dissolve the contents of one sachet in 10ml of cooled boiled water and give ...ml'. It is wasteful though.

Losec tablets don't dissolve easily either so that may be a reason your lo has been prescribed it as opposed to a clinical reason.
    Thank you. The Somac granules don't actually dissolve - it even says so on the packet. It says do not crush or dissolve. They stay granular like little teeny balls and just float in the water. I tried mixing the whole sachet with 10ml water (the idea being to give 2.5ml) but it's only the water I am measuring then as the little balls don't float evenly - I end up with mainly water and a few granules definitely not a quarter. So I have been dividing the sachet instead which is much more accurate, and mixing the quarter sachet with 2ml water then carefully syringing up the granules using a panadol syringe (which has a bigger hole for the granules to go in/out).

This is what threw me as my chemist had made it sound like they were mix able too. But apparently crushing them makes them less effective 😁.

Anyway I will question my GP on Tuesday. We had excellent results first 24 hours with Somac but it seems to wear off (we give mid afternoon). His vomiting is under control but he still has visible signs of reflux and I think once he misses his morning naps (due to discomfort I assume) it sets him up for a hell of a day. I am fairly certain the chemist mentioned a possible second dose but it was also vague I don't want to do that before talking with my GP.

But yes I knew it wasn't regular as the chemist had to order it in and don't normally carry it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    No idea what or why sunny but my DD is on losec which we have made up as a liquid at the compounding pharmacy so we don't have to bother with dissolving and wastage. Might be worth looking into? It's much easier but it is $50 a month where we get it so it's expensive..
    Thanks yes I know babies are usually prescribed Losec so I don't know why my GP hasn't. I will question him. He is a good GP I have been seeing since I was a baby so I do trust him, just don't know what his reasoning is. I didn't even look at the script when I was in there. I should've asked more questions - but then I didn't realise it was going to be so hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Losec never worked for any of my babies. Honestly I had so much trouble fiddling with the dosage by the time it worked they'd probably just grown out of the reflux.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The granules (as well as Losec tablets) have an enteric coating to prevent it from being broken down too soon in the gut. They will dissolve but at a wild guess it takes over half an hour. If you have the time I would recommend trying to prepare it well in advance although this is inconvenient. Somac is generally very effective and unfortunately Sonja's experience with Losec is common.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Most people I have talked to at work prefer either compounded Losec/Somac/Nexium - the compounding pharmacy make it into a nice tasting suspension, but as a pp mentioned is quite expensive and has a short shelf life (28 days from memory?).
    The other popular option in my area is Zantac liquid. You could ask your GP for a prescription for this instead?
    Dissolving the Losec tablets is an absolute PITA, and yes the somac granules are designed to be dispersed in water, not dissolved, so also a PITA if Bub is on a quarter of a sachet!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (24-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Most people I have talked to at work prefer either compounded Losec/Somac/Nexium - the compounding pharmacy make it into a nice tasting suspension, but as a pp mentioned is quite expensive and has a short shelf life (28 days from memory?).
    The other popular option in my area is Zantac liquid. You could ask your GP for a prescription for this instead?
    Dissolving the Losec tablets is an absolute PITA, and yes the somac granules are designed to be dispersed in water, not dissolved, so also a PITA if Bub is on a quarter of a sachet!
    Frucking hell they are impossible to dispense. We lose half the granules trying to syringe it into his tiny mouth. Then he coughs and spatters what we do get in there out again. There is no way I can do this on my own when DH is away for work this week.

I am annoyed at the GP for prescribing such a ridiculously hard drug to administer, annoyed at the chemist for suggesting it could be made into a paste when clearly this is not the case (and the packet even says not to). And Annoyed that it's a long weekend and I can't get in to see anyone - and will most likely be unable to tomorrow either.

I am going to have more than my cranky pants on when I do manage to see my GP again. I plan to take a sachet in and demand he show me exactly how the fk I am supposed to use it! I doubt he has ever seen the contents of the sachet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is on losec suspension mixed by a compounding pharmacy. Can you go back to gp and request similar?