+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am currently on paid parental leave but after 18 weeks, that will change to the single parent pension!
    My DH lives 5 minutes drive away.
    We have been together for 10 years but never lived together as he lives with his 2 children and ex!
    I told all of this to Centrelink and they told me that I am technicality single and am entitled to the full benefit as long as he pays child support (which he does every week)!

Centrelink are going to contact him regarding his financials so I don't know why they are asking you to provide those details. And money that is from overseas and staying overseas is not classified as an income that they need to know of so its weird!

Just be honest and it will get sorted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies! So if I want to switch to singles payment do I need to start a new application? But it will be better if I go in to a centrelink office and explain to them about my situation right? I've only been receiving PPP for two fortnights and to avoid overpayment although its currently suspended, i also think i need to explain to them why im switching so they can note it down properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If i apply for child support, but husband isnt able to pay (in debt) and is overseas, should I bother? I would love to get his name noted down for child support, so that its stuck with him for the rest of his life!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing from Parenting Payment Partnered to Single. Help!

@beckyashleigh, yeah i dont know why. I thought when i got my centrelink letter granted i would have fulfilled all the requirements, but the letter also says for my husband to come in person and show his ID. I was also warned about his overseas income when i visited the office last time.

But anyway, things changed (so quickly) and now apparently I have a personal situation that made me drive to change it to singles payment. Even prior to making PPP claims, i already thought that my situation would have classified as separated parents but i was still in denial back then... And still am now.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm on single parenting payment. I believe you still have to register with the CSA to get PPS, even if you chose to have a private arrangement. They will do an assessment based on XDH income, if any, and tell you how much you should be paid in CS. I'm not sure what happens if he is OS but I imagine you will still have to contact them.

I don't think Centrelink will care if you change so quickly from PPP to SPP...they would have all sorts of weird family dynamics pass through their doors! It sounds like you should have applied for SPP from the get go.

Do you have your online Centrelink (myGov) login etc? You should be able to do the application online, but I would give them a call to find out the right process so there isn't too much lag time from now til when you get your first payment. It will be backdated to the date you first contacted/applied. You also need to decide on an official date of separation...This will be an official date for ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Kaybaby! Should i go online now and start a new pps application and no need to go to centrelink to explain the whole thing since my ppp is coincidentally suspended anyway. But i think i still need to go to and see them to explain so that I wont be at risk of overpaying based on the PPP i received this month. I hope i wont need to overpay that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I would call/see them ASAP to tell them your circumstances have changed and you need to now apply for the single payment. I'm guessing they will want you to apply online anyway, as that is how everything is done these day...won't hurt to get started, most of the info will be the same as your partnered application. Phoning /visiting Centrelink is torturous but has to be done sometimes...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another question is, would my PPS only be approved once my referees returned the letter to centrelink? I think I'd have to keep harassing my friends to ensure they don't forget about that. It's just that what a coincidence that I my PPP wasn't confirmed properly and I've been unable to land a full time job yet (my freelance gig doesn't pay much), and I've only got enough $$ for next fortnight's rent . And (separated) DH dropped the bomb on me that he's seeing someone else (he said exactly like that.. short and simple) and I happened to see the proof. All that happened just a few days after my birthday. I don't know whether I should cry or go mental!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds awful @bunnymum ...sorry you are in this position . It does sound like you are well equipped to do it solo.
    My referees were never contacted, so I guess they don't always contact them. They will also be able to see you XDH is not in the country as they will cross - reference with immigration...so it's pretty obvious you aren't living together at least...
    It can take some time to get your first payment..I can't remember how long, but get the ball rolling ASAP on Tues. PPS is not much, but it certainly helps, especially if your income fluctuates. I report my income every fortnight on the Centrelink app...it is so easy!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing from Parenting Payment Partnered to Single. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkpotato View Post
    It actually doesn't matter if you are publicly separated from him or not. Centrelink only classes you as partnered if you spend so many nights together and since you haven't lived together for a while and don't combine income ect you would have actually been recognised as being separated a while ago.

The questions they usually ask your references are.. Do they live together and do you view them as a couple. That's all my references got asked when my husband and I split and it was pretty straight forward to make the switch from partnered to single, just fill out the forms and return them then they contact your references and once you get approved you just have to call csa and give them the info they need to make a claim for child support and then they do they rest. It seems like a lot more effort than it really is.

If you are truly worried about switching after not being able to provide your husbands income ect then just go in and explain everything that you have said on here although I don't think they will really question it, it's only if someone specifically tells Centrelink that you're committing fraud (by claiming single when you're really partnered) that they'll look into it but if you are legit then you have nothing at all to worry about.
    I was actually told to go on spp by a Centrelink worker while my husband was away for 12mths and not able to work or provide for us. Then 3 weeks later I called up to check something and when the lady on the phone found out we were still together she cut me off and sent me a bill. Told me if we are still in love and still consider ourselves in a relationship then it doesn't matter how long he was away for, or the fact that he couldn't send us any money. As long as we condsidered ourselves a couple then I wasn't entitled to SPP. This was in 2009.