+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing from Parenting Payment Partnered to Single. Help!

Long story short... so I applied for parenting payment partnered (knowing that I'm still legally married) claims four weeks ago and was just granted two weeks ago. So far I've received the payments for twice already but then got suspended. because things went wrong with the system that it DID grant me the payment, before checking that I was still missing a few requirements such as DH's details (also bringing in the person!), and his income details. This is the thing that I'm having troubles with because DH is overseas and due to long term situation,we feel like we are a separated couple actually. And he refuses to help me with PPP because he wanted me to take care of it myself. We are also considering serious separation.

I am still legally married but separated from DH because he is overseas which I've also spent some time living overseas too prior but living under different roof than him (we each lived in our own parent's houses overseas). During our time overseas we had a lot of difficulties and he had pretty much stopped supporting us financially. We only met up during the weekends and any other days DS was not at preschool (our houses' distance was about 1.5 hours driving). We were still in good terms back then (and still are now) and tried to reconcile many times.

However as times went by, I decided to return to Australia (with the hope he'd follow us too), but recently he made up his mind that he did not have any intention to return here ( i think he also wanted to relinquish his permanent residency visa) and also last night I found out something from facebook and at the same time he also told me casually he's seeing someone else (i felt like i had two bombs dropped on top of me). So I've pretty much want to tell centrelink that I'm separated, although I'm still not 100% sure about that.

We have some uncertainties in regards to our marriage at the moment.

Currently, we do not own/share property that is under our names, no joint bank accs, cards, car, loans, etc. We're pretty taking care of our own stuff only now. DH took care of his personal stuff prior to relocating overseas as he's was in debt too ( think he is still in debt but authorities have not been able to chase him). THe only things that still have both of our names are the marriage cert, child's birth cert and medicare card.

So I'm under suspended PPP at the moment, and if i wanted to advise centrelink that i wanted to change it to PPS, what should I really say, and I heard I needed to provide two referees they need to contact to proof that I'm separated (other than family members), but I don't know who I should put as the contacts and centrelink would be the only one to know I'm separated.. as I'm not quite ready to announce the world that I'm separating from DH in a permanent basis, although at the moment I won't welcome him back if he wants to!

I'm in need of urgent $ at the moment as i'm sharing rent with my sister which we pay to an agent weekly. With my PPP suspended because coincidentally it was still missing DH's income details, etc, I hope centrelink won't suspect why I wanted to change it to PPS. HELP me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are legitimate, go ahead. But they probably WILL contact your referees so you need to let people know. They wrote to mine and there was no problem, but they did check. Of course only do this if you are genuine. Nobody wants a centrelink debt later so always always always be honest. Then you'll need to arrange child support and go through that process also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my separation is legitimate. I am not sure how I will reconcile with dh at the moment and when and whether he will come here or not etc. one thing obvious is the financial support that has been missing from him in the past three years. Actually most of our friends know we live under separate roof whilst we were overseas but they did not question our marriage situation considering DH and I still met up and we 'looked' fine from outside.

I actually have two friends i can contact to be my referees and they know my situation, but have not been aware yet I decided i wanted to be separated for now and I will not welcome DH back for the time being. I also think I am legitimate because I would also like to be referres to a social worker and spill the beans about DH. How dare he found someone else and acting like he wanted to ditch me whilst he was the irresponsible one.

What would usually Centrelink ask my referees if they called them? And what else would I need to provide to change my payment from PPP to PPS

Thanks
    Reviews
    As long as they know the truth don't worry about the questions being asked. They'll know how to answer. Mine got letters, not calls so make sure they respond quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks NAT2561, what sort of paper would the referees need to fill and whether that would take up much of my friend's time?

One question: if I'm claiming the payment as single parent, would they require to see DH in person and ask for his IDs, incomes, etc?

The reason why I'm asking is that I'm trying to work this out without DH getting involved (and he's not so keen anyway to help me out). And another thing is that centrelink has advised me a couple of times to claim for FTB, and I realise that if you're separated you need to claim for child support as well, otherwise the FTB my son would receive would be the base rate only. The thing is DH is in debt at the moment and I can't be bothered.

My current status with centrelink is i am a receiver for Parenting Payment Partnered (Currently suspended, pending DH's Ids, and income details). Would it be weird that last week I was still going on and on at centrelink office about my PPP, but then I changed my mind and told them actually I'm separated.

On another note, I'm actually an job seeker., I'veb been actively searching for a job and have had failed interviews actually... if only a job offer would come sooner than relying on centrelink alone...
    Last edited by bunnymum; 23-04-2016 at 16:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The questions won't take your friends long, the other questions would be best asked to centrelink. Honesty is always the best policy, so go and talk to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks NAT2561! I'll head to the centrelink office on Tuesday. Its just that the first two minutes they sit down with you they always go "huhh?!". Not until you explain further they'd go "ahhh".

Thanks
    Reviews
    at the moment you are single,
    you will need two references to verify that your husband is residing over seas and you consider yourselves currently separated (and maybe bank statements to show he is not supporting you financially),
    you will have to apply for child support etc though (they dont have to pay it though), if you and your husband decide to reconcile you have no notify centrelink within 2 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    It actually doesn't matter if you are publicly separated from him or not. Centrelink only classes you as partnered if you spend so many nights together and since you haven't lived together for a while and don't combine income ect you would have actually been recognised as being separated a while ago.

The questions they usually ask your references are.. Do they live together and do you view them as a couple. That's all my references got asked when my husband and I split and it was pretty straight forward to make the switch from partnered to single, just fill out the forms and return them then they contact your references and once you get approved you just have to call csa and give them the info they need to make a claim for child support and then they do they rest. It seems like a lot more effort than it really is.

If you are truly worried about switching after not being able to provide your husbands income ect then just go in and explain everything that you have said on here although I don't think they will really question it, it's only if someone specifically tells Centrelink that you're committing fraud (by claiming single when you're really partnered) that they'll look into it but if you are legit then you have nothing at all to worry about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You'll also have to make a new claim to be on single payment.