+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Geelong and surrounding suburbs...

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct area as part of my question is about school but the other is about housing...sorry if this is incorrect!

My partner and I are considering moving to Geelong for a sea change I guess. The suburbs that we are considering are Leopold, Clifton Springs and Drysdale. We are currently in Melbourne. We love taking our dog for a walk and have a brand new baby (10 weeks). Our favourite place is Daylesford and the Mornington Penninsula. We love bush and beach.

Can anyone provide any info about these suburbs including how safe they are, distance to parklands, beach...what are the child care centres and primary schools like. Any areas that are sought after...some to avoid? Are there other suggestions for somewhere that we may not have considered.

My partner would commute to Melbourne for work and I would look for work in Geelong I think. We are looking for a total fresh start and change. Since having our son, I can't imagine going back to my high stress job with long hours and working every weekend. We want to work to live, not live to work (but of course we still need to earn money). Feel free to provide any thoughts....did anyone else decide to have a tree or sea change...did you regret it?

I appreciate all of your advice and sharing your story and advice.

Thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    If this is in the wrong section....can someone move it? Or add to an additional section? Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Drysdale, Clifton Springs are a fair distance out from Geelong and TBH there's no way I'd consider it fair on the family for your husband to commute to Melbourne from either day....

I say this because on a good run it'd be a 2 hour + commute EACH way... The train might be quicker but as far as I'm aware the suburbs you mention don't have stations and that'd be a bus commute from the suburbs to the Geelong train station.

As far as safety goes, I think they're all ok, no different to Melbourne. There is crime, drugs, unsavoury types every where, Geelong is no exception. But I believe if you don't go looking for trouble trouble won't come looking for you...

I can't comment on schools in the area.. Never had a kid when I was there.

Re work, much of the industry based work is being taken out of Geelong - unemployment rates are quite high. The people I know there (many are family) have ended up going into business for themselves because big industry (eg ford, target head office) have announced plans to close.

Hope this helps ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't comment on Geelong much. I do have a friend who lives there but no kids, so no schools advice etc. Definitely a tough commute and she changed to working local.

We have done a tree change though. We're about 80km out of Melbourne in the other direction. We both commute to Melb outer suburbs for work (25-35 min) but I will be looking for more local work.

I don't know where your family are but if you like the Mornington peninsula, what is stopping you moving there? There are some affordable pockets away from the hotspots which are still very nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. I should have been clearer that my partner works from home and would only have to commute 2 days per week outside of peak hour so he is willing to do that. We haven't ruled out the Mornington and are happy for suggestions there...was just thinking that Geelong would have more work opportunities for me. All suggestions welcome....the Dandenong ranges would be lovely but we like newer homes and I think that would be out of our price range. Loving the advice and suggestions though. Thank you so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dandenong ranges are surprisingly cheap but not a lot of new homes. Slow to get into the city though (even out of peak) as there's no freeways.

I'd put your requirements into realeatate .com.au (eg budget, min land, min bedrooms etc) and do a map search. That's pretty much what we did once we worked out we wanted to go country. Then we used Google maps to check commute times were feasible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I lived In Clifton Springs and loved it quiet like a country town right on the Bay. Schools were great when I went. 15 mins into Geelong. Great surf beaches 15 mins. Never any problems with crime. My brother lives in Leopold and he loves it. It's a bit of a busier place than Clifton Springs