+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Animal cruelty is stuffing a mother cat and her 5 kittens in a box and throwing down the drain or chaining a dog to a tree in the middle of the bush. This is not animal cruelty

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always arrange a neighbour to come play with my dog and feed it when I'm on holidays. It's less stressful to the dog that way. He sleeps all the day anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKangaroo View Post
    Yeah I get that. It just seems so awful to me. Why have a dog at all if you pretty much ignore it? I know there's nothing to report but like I said, I guess I'm just venting my frustration. I wish it was a law that a dog couldn't be left unattended like that. To me it is animal cruelty. I know not all dogs are house dogs but they all deserve attention and love. To leave them alone for two weeks even if they have shelter and food is cruel in my eyes but sadly it's allowed by the law.
    It would upset me too. It's hard to live next door to a dog who isn't walked and is often neglected. Probably not much you can do unfortunately.

There is a lovely dog that lives behind my mum, she cries all day when they aren't there then they just give her a bowl of food at night and that's it, never walked, never see them patting her. If you try to pat her over the fence she gets so excited at the attention, it's bloody awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    While it isn't 'cruelty' as such I don't agree with it. Dogs aren't solitary creatures so to leave him alone for 2 weeks just to be fed isn't ok in my opinion. What if he gets sick or injured, would kids notice this?

When they asked you to feed him did you offer for him to stay at your place? Is that an option?

As for walking, I'm sure our neighbours think we never walk our dog. She is very shy and a bit skittish so when she is walked we drive to the quiet nature reserve to avoid cars, people, bikes etc that startle her.

When we go away our girl stays with family or goes to the boarding house which she loves.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (22-04-2016),DT75  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    While they don't seem like ideal dog owners maybe as they know they have friends next door with kids who love the dog and always feed him when they are away they think they don't need to send the dog anywhere else? Maybe next time tell them no you can't feed the dog you should organise something else

Our dog goes to Nannas when we go away 😀

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Poor dog

My neighbour looks after my 2 dogs when we go away. We don't go away a lot and not for long periods. Usually only a couple of nights. My girls are shepherds. So big dogs. Costs a lot for kennels. Especially when our neighbour adores the dogs! While she doesn't walk them because they are hard to walk and can be hard to play with. They do sometimes get ignored by us. Since DS came along we dont walk them all that much but they come inside pretty much every night unless it's hot and they both have their beds in our bedroom and have their favourite toys on them ready to go. So in a few ways I must be neglecting my dogs? It's hard to know what is considered wrong when u treat your pet like part of the family (like they should be) in this instance whilst unfair on the dog they aren't neglecting it. It's got the essentials.
    But the dog running around town is not ok! My girls got out once. Some one opened our gate. Surprise surprise they went to the local cafe and stayed there lol
    Last edited by Hasselhoff; 22-04-2016 at 08:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A big pet peeve of mine (pardon the pun) is when folks who don't genuinely enjoy pets own pets. I truly wonder why anyone would have a dog when they don't bother engaging with it.

Letting it roam the street - not on.

Seems like it's relatively common for folks to leave their dogs at home when they holiday. As long as a neighbour is willing to be responsible for the dog when the owner is away, I wouldn't call it neglect as such. Some dogs become highly distressed in kennels. As long as the dog is comfortable in their surrounds, fed, and not a howler/nuisance barker, I don't think it's a bad thing.

I know where you're coming from OP, it's a sad situation to witness, especially when you are clearly a dog lover yourself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pay someone to look after mine and he is very loved during the time we are away. He is walked played with and checked on twice a day we also receive a text every day after they have benn with a photo of him ☺ if anything was to happen they have permission to take him to the vets and we would pay for any treatment required over the phone. So he his well looked after and I wouldn't have it any other way

11. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKangaroo View Post
    Even though he's just left alone in the backyard for more than two weeks? That seems like cruelty to me. I guess some people just shouldn't have animals. Next time I see him wandering the streets I should call the council. He deserves a much better home.
    How is that cruelty? If they left him without arranging a food source, then yes.
    But just because he is outside and they aren't home?
    He's not going to be alone- he will see you for feeding times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe not cruelty, but it's certainly neglect in my eyes. I do not understand why people get pets just to leave them outside. 50 years ago, maybe. But so much more is known about animal psychology these days, it's just heartless.

What would happen if you said you couldn't feed him because you'd be away at the same time or whatever? Would they just leave him, or organise someone else to feed him?

You are in a $hit situation, especially if these neighbours are friends.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (22-04-2016)