+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Those who have retrained, how did you afford that? Did you get any government assistance?

I was under the impression that you could only defer uni fees to HECS for a first bachelor degree, and similarly, only receive youth allowance/austudy for one qualification at each level. I have no idea where I might have heard that though.
    I did certs III and IV when I was a teenager in a completely unrelated (and fairly useless) field, then a BSc, so figured any further training would be entirely paid for by me. So is obviously never going to happen, otherwise I'd go out right now and enrol in a new degree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am doing my diploma online using VET Fee help so dont need to start repaying until Im earning over $54k. I think its similar to Hecs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    Those who have retrained, how did you afford that? Did you get any government assistance?

I was under the impression that you could only defer uni fees to HECS for a first bachelor degree, and similarly, only receive youth allowance/austudy for one qualification at each level. I have no idea where I might have heard that though.
    I did certs III and IV when I was a teenager in a completely unrelated (and fairly useless) field, then a BSc, so figured any further training would be entirely paid for by me. So is obviously never going to happen, otherwise I'd go out right now and enrol in a new degree
    I think it depends on the area of study. There are some masters with csp's. These are the only ones I'm considering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post

I don't think this is right I have just done my bachelor's degree and have just enrolled in a master's degree same field and are able to use hecs. Not sure about austudy though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    I think it depends on the area of study. There are some masters with csp's. These are the only ones I'm considering.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowers21 View Post
    I don't think this is right I have just done my bachelor's degree and have just enrolled in a master's degree same field and are able to use hecs. Not sure about austudy though
    Masters is a different level of study so yes, there would be gov support for that. Unless you already had a masters degree in something else!
    But thanks, that might actually be an option for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was a sahm for 8 years with no real great experience beforehand other than being a checkout chick. I also live in a small rural town with very little job opportunities. So when I landed a job within 2 months of looking last year I was pretty damn greatful. I work in environmental services in a hospital and aged care facility, and while yes it's not the most glamorous job and involves a lot of dirty work and is probably considered mind numbing (cleaning, laundry, kitchen etc.) well you know what, somebody has to do it. And I've had some great experiences with the patients and residents along the way (as well as some not so great ones) my job might seem insignificant but we all have a part to play.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (23-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify you can access a hecs-help loan for multiple degrees (eg can do 2 bachelors, bachelor-postgrad, multiple postgrad). There is no limit on the number of degrees or any requirement that they be in different fields or at different levels. You can also have multiple commonwealth supported (subsidized) places there is no cap on that either.
    If you are studying in something that doesn't have a commonwealth supported place (i.e. A fee paying place) then you are eligible for a fee-help loan which is capped at about $100k (lifetime limit).
    Hope this helps 😀