+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,716
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked
    641
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am lucky that I dont have to go back to work. But I would like to as I feel I am a better and happier mum when I can at least work part time. So I am still applying for jobs both part and full time and studying.
    It is a knock to the old self esteem when you are continually rejected for work when you know you can do the job.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

    Freyamum  (22-04-2016)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    690
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked
    188
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Luckily DH is a high earner and we've based our mortgage and living expenses off just his salary but it is a stretch and there is a lot of financial pressure on him that I'd like to ease. Also we'll be looking to pay part of private school fees. I can't imagine staying at home while all the children are at school so I'd definitely like to work 2-3 days/week. I'm looking to start studying/re-training soon (want to decide by the end of this year I think).

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    543
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    I am lucky that I dont have to go back to work. But I would like to as I feel I am a better and happier mum when I can at least work part time. So I am still applying for jobs both part and full time and studying.
    It is a knock to the old self esteem when you are continually rejected for work when you know you can do the job.
    Unless things go pear shaped with dps job I probably won't either but I'll want to even if it just to pay for a cleaner! I love being home with the kids - well for the most part - but as they become less dependent I crave having something outside of the home and would love to be able to contribute financially. It's seriously dented my self esteem and my relationship with dp being home so long. I don't know who I am anymore. I could study or volunteer when ms2 starts school but it's not the same as working. And I panic internally sometimes when things are bad with dp cus I realise how dependent I am. Maybe that's what's the hardest as I'd always been so super independent. Sigh. I guess the best thing is to do my research and give myself the best chance.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,716
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked
    641
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Unless things go pear shaped with dps job I probably won't either but I'll want to even if it just to pay for a cleaner! I love being home with the kids - well for the most part - but as they become less dependent I crave having something outside of the home and would love to be able to contribute financially. It's seriously dented my self esteem and my relationship with dp being home so long. I don't know who I am anymore. I could study or volunteer when ms2 starts school but it's not the same as working. And I panic internally sometimes when things are bad with dp cus I realise how dependent I am. Maybe that's what's the hardest as I'd always been so super independent. Sigh. I guess the best thing is to do my research and give myself the best chance.
    I am exactly the same. I think the main reason I want a job is to feel like I have an identity again.
    We have always based our budget on dh's income and mine is a bonus that goes to home loan or just savings.

    I decided to study in an area I have always loved so who knows something may come from it.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

    Freyamum  (22-04-2016)

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in a wormhole
    Posts
    2,769
    Thanks
    4,600
    Thanked
    2,802
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A friend of mine has been a SAHM for 10 years now and although she's highly educated and skilled she can't find work. A recruitment agency even told her 'not to bother' as she's apparently too old, and been out for too long that she has no chance. Which should be ridiculous. But there are so many people to choose from, it really is an employer's market right now.

    I was out of the workforce for almost 10 years, but got lucky and found a casual job through the uni noticeboard (I was studying at the time). And that helped me get a full time job when I finished uni. I also did a lot of volunteer work to help build up references (and fill the gap in my resume) and that helped a lot too.

    So anecdotally - yes, its tough. But you can help yourself along by doing volunteer work, such as helping out on school committees or community projects.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

    Freyamum  (22-04-2016)

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    6,649
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked
    862
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Wow that's scary. If you are getting interviews then I wouldn't think it's the gap. Have you updated your skills at all? Admin was going to be my back up plan, but I thought just refreshing my office skills might be enough. Maybe I'll go the whole hog and fully retrain in something new then I'd be in with other career change applicants and young graduates. Just so time consuming trying to research what area to get into as I really need something that you can be part time from the start but most I think you are up against new young graduates who can put in all the hours needed for low pay.
    Were the jobs you applied for properly within school hours or would you be hit for oosh? Just doing the mental maths I could end up studying for 4 years, with all its associated costs (including daycare fees as I have zero time to study now) only to find that any job wouldn't even cover oosh fees until I was really experienced and then barely!
    I need to think outside of the box... I've 3 kids too. It does make things harder the more you have... And then I wonder how single parents manage?? Not sure if thinking of UK or here but I think you can lose benefits after your kids get to school if you don't work? Or maybe the govt pays most of the childcare costs for single / low income families?
    Yes its crazy and frustrating and many other words.

    During the time ive been looking ive been working away at a medical terminology admin certificate thru OTEN online. To update my admin skills and add another dimension (medical terminology) to them.

    Im lucky that we arent desperate and that DH earns a good wage however the extra $ would come in handy.

    Im choosy about what i apply for as i dont see the point in applying for jobs that are not going to fit in.
    By fit in i mean im looking for jobs that are 2/3days a week as my mum & MIL will each mind the children & do school drop offs etc 1 day a week each so max 1 day of oosh & daycare fees.
    This obviously reduces the amount of jobs i apply for but otherwise all earning would go on kids care which makes it rather pointless.

    Got a call this afternoon for an interview next thurs so cross your fingers this is my lucky one

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

    Freyamum  (22-04-2016)

  11. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,376
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    1,772
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you volunteer or do some further study in your field? I'm a teacher, & I've kept up my training, maintained a good network of potential empoyers, & I volunteer in my field in the community, including branching out into new areas, organising and running events in the community, etc. I feel 100% positive I could get a job after my current 4 years out of the workforce - relief teaching and long daycare, I would have work next week if I needed it. A contract or permanent position, probably at the start of the new year. I will be a SAHM for at least another 4 years, so I will let you know then! What about going to uni in a couple of years when your youngest is at preschool, for a bit more training - I feel like for me,at least this would get me back into the 'real world' & out of SAHM world if that makes sense! In the meantime, I definitely recommend volunteering in your community if that's possible & if there is an area you're passionate about. Eg's - refugee advocacy groups, animal welfare groups, playgroups, sporting groups - depending where your passion is! It can help you to find 'you' again & at least something to put on a resume!

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,831
    Thanks
    1,054
    Thanked
    1,215
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I returned to work 2 weeks ago after 6 years as a SAHM. Last year I did a Cert III in Education Support in the hope of getting a teacher's aid job and was lucky enough to get one starting this term. I am doing 4 days p/w but the hours are 9am - 3pm so I can do school drop off and pick up. The pay is very low, but as my DH earns a decent wage, the extra money I bring in is a bonus and the hours and school holidays make it worthwhile. I am actually enjoying being back in the workforce more than I thought I would, but will admit to missing my SAHM role which was really cruisy and very social.

    Just to add, I have never worked in the Education Sector at all however I have done parent helper for a couple of hours a week in my DD's class (that was literally my only experience). I'll also admit that my role came about through being in the right place at the right time. I volunteered to help out at a function being held locally and while I was there I met another person who was also volunteering her time and we got chatting and it turned out she was a Principal of a school looking for an Education Support worker, so I put my resume in, had an interview and got a job all within 4 days.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

    cheeeeesecake  (22-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2016)

  14. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    543
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Can you volunteer or do some further study in your field? I'm a teacher, & I've kept up my training, maintained a good network of potential empoyers, & I volunteer in my field in the community, including branching out into new areas, organising and running events in the community, etc. I feel 100% positive I could get a job after my current 4 years out of the workforce - relief teaching and long daycare, I would have work next week if I needed it. A contract or permanent position, probably at the start of the new year. I will be a SAHM for at least another 4 years, so I will let you know then! What about going to uni in a couple of years when your youngest is at preschool, for a bit more training - I feel like for me,at least this would get me back into the 'real world' & out of SAHM world if that makes sense! In the meantime, I definitely recommend volunteering in your community if that's possible & if there is an area you're passionate about. Eg's - refugee advocacy groups, animal welfare groups, playgroups, sporting groups - depending where your passion is! It can help you to find 'you' again & at least something to put on a resume!
    Thanks for the ideas. I definitely need to retrain; I worked in public health in the UK and its just very different here. I'm actually considering an early childhood teaching degree. I guess I was just curious as to the invisible barriers I might encounter. There seems to be strong demand for daycare workers in our area judging by the number of ads compared to any other jobs. It's just scary to think that being a sahm for these years could have such a negative impact if I was to just try and temp or something? I did lots of admin temp work in my 20's while travelling and wasn't actually that skilled but had no trouble getting work. Just the concept that I was more employable at 22, fresh out of uni with no real skills other than teaching myself to type, than I would be now! I do remember being grilled by a recruitment agent in nz about 15years ago about the gaps in my cv while I was travelling. I'm talking a few months here and there. It's the same narrow minded stuff I guess just need to rise above it and hope they're not all like that!!!

  15. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked
    337
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally, I think it would be hard to find full time work. Or part time. I think because of kids some employers might think your (in general) unreliable. That is worrying me a bit.
    As in.....
    School holidays
    Kids might be sick
    Drs appointment
    Etc

    I could be totally wrong.


 

Similar Threads

  1. long term and new ttcers with relax approach chat
    By Buttoneska in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 834
    Last Post: 14-10-2016, 15:39
  2. Long Term TTC chat #3
    By Bubbles1984 in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 473
    Last Post: 27-04-2016, 10:24
  3. Would you be disappointed if your DD chose to be at home long term?
    By delirium in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 13-10-2015, 13:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Be In Blossom
We offer physiotherapy run pregnancy Pilates, pregnancy Aerobics, and Mummy Pilates & Baby Massage classes with a focus on optimising posture, body awareness, pelvic floor support, back care and maintaining fitness, aiming to assist women prepare and recover from their birth.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!