+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How hard is it to find work after long term sahm??

Kind of spin off from the thread about whether having a baby could ruin your career; just curious about people's experiences finding work generally after a long break? So not necessarily high flying career but also not completely mind numbing. I was so naive when I quit my job and moved to Australia. I didn't have an amazing career but there was great potential for progression and lots of flexibility - at my level at least. I just thought I'd take a couple of years off and pick something similar up here. I put my inability to do so down to the lack of similar roles. It's only in the last few years (it's been 8) that I'm recognising the uphill battle I face when I really need to start working -probably when ms2 goes to school.
    Retraining doesn't phase me I'd love to study again but the nagging doubt that no matter what effort I put in I may never find a stimulating job again, really depresses me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. I was working as a lawyer before kids. But it's now been 5.5 yrs as a SAHM, and a few more to go as bub #3 is only 3 months, and I have no idea how I'm going to get back into the work force.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following.
    I've been a SAHM 7.5 years now. Hoping it's not too hard to get back into the workforce once I decide to go back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you consider as a long break ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ive been a SAHM since mid 2010.
    I used to work admin.

Ive been looking for a part time job for almost 18mths now. In that time ive only had a half dozen interviews and they all but roll their eyes when they ask how many children i have & i say 3.

So in my experiences yes its proving very difficult. No idea if this is just the giant gap in employment on my resume or the area im in etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    What do you consider as a long break ?
    The OP says it's been at least 8 years.

many of the mums at DD2's school returned to work in the last year or 2 once their youngest was at full time school. They didn't have a huge amount of trouble but had a few trial jobs before finding their more permanent role. One of them is a legal secretary by training and now does secretarial work at her home for a number of smaller firms. I'd hate it as its socially isolating (she never interacts with anyone) but she has a very busy social life apart from work so it suits her. I'm not in contact with the others as we moved school but understand the jobs are ok and they're now pretty happy.

Not CEO roles but enough to make shuffling after school pickups worth it. So it can be done I think. Just have to kiss a few toads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    Ive been a SAHM since mid 2010.
    I used to work admin.

Ive been looking for a part time job for almost 18mths now. In that time ive only had a half dozen interviews and they all but roll their eyes when they ask how many children i have & i say 3.

So in my experiences yes its proving very difficult. No idea if this is just the giant gap in employment on my resume or the area im in etc
    Wow that's scary. If you are getting interviews then I wouldn't think it's the gap. Have you updated your skills at all? Admin was going to be my back up plan, but I thought just refreshing my office skills might be enough. Maybe I'll go the whole hog and fully retrain in something new then I'd be in with other career change applicants and young graduates. Just so time consuming trying to research what area to get into as I really need something that you can be part time from the start but most I think you are up against new young graduates who can put in all the hours needed for low pay.
    Were the jobs you applied for properly within school hours or would you be hit for oosh? Just doing the mental maths I could end up studying for 4 years, with all its associated costs (including daycare fees as I have zero time to study now) only to find that any job wouldn't even cover oosh fees until I was really experienced and then barely!
    I need to think outside of the box... I've 3 kids too. It does make things harder the more you have... And then I wonder how single parents manage?? Not sure if thinking of UK or here but I think you can lose benefits after your kids get to school if you don't work? Or maybe the govt pays most of the childcare costs for single / low income families?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the moment there are too many graduates in my field and no one cares about experience - all about how much money they can save. I saw the advertisement on tv the other day about incentives for employing people over 50 years of age...at least I might be more employable then
    I've casualled, upskilled and volunteer weekly hoping it will count at some point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the town I live in if you are in the field of finance or a nurse you would have no problem getting a job. Seems to be the only thing on offer, unless you know someone that can get you a job you are competing with at least 200-300 other people. Even employers at places I have been to for interviews are amazed how many people are applying for admin roles.

I have been searching for two years and have found nothing. Alot of the time I have been told I have too much experience or they think I would get bored, these are just basic admin roles also.

I have been told that everyone has there cert 3 now so I am studying a duel diploma in a new industry but still may have trouble finding a job due to the size of the town and the you need to know someone mentality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So for those unable to find work, what's the plan?? Are you ok financially or need to take whatever or just keep plugging away??