+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Longhaul international stopover - yes or no?

I'll be flying from Aus to UK on my own with 1 "infant" (a few months short of 2yrs) and 1 child (3.5yrs) via Hong Kong and I am debating whether or not to include a longer stopover halfway.

The stopover at the moment is 4 hours (land 10pm and takeoff 2am) but we could extend the stopover by 18 hours and check in to an airport hotel and fly onward the next day in the afternoon.

I've had some people say to just keep going and get the long trip over with but I haven't heard from anyone who's done a stopover. Just wondering if it might be worth breaking the journey? Any advice?
    Last edited by debsch; 21-04-2016 at 13:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suppose it depends on your child.
    We went to USA when dd was 3.5, it was her first big trip so we went via N.Z and stopped there for 4 hrs. I bought a day pass in air n.z lounge so we could grab a bite to eat and have a shower.
    We had a 2hr drive to get to our local airport then waited around the airport, 3hr flight so I was glad we had the break in between to freshen up and flew overnight.
    Not everyone wants to do that but it worked out well for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, i would push on rather than a one night stop over. Too much hassle getting bags, bedtime, food etc. Rest once you are there. Coming back from uk i always find worse, and would have a stopover but for 3 nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Longhaul international stopover - yes or no?

I found breaking the journey up helped. We flew to Ireland and stopped over in Dubai for 2 or 3 nights. It was definitely worth it.

I wouldn't stop for 18 hours, though. I think at least 2 nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We stopped in Dubai for 2 nights on our way to UK when our DD was not quite 2 but wouldn't do it again. Getting through customs, getting bags, taxis etc was a hassle and you will have 2 possibly tired cranky small children, no thanks, I would just fly straight through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am flying in 2 weeks time by myself and going as direct as I can. I have a 14 hour flight with a 3.5 hour stop over and then a 5 hour flight. Even if I was taking my son, I would do it that way because it would be easier to have a rest once we arrive at our destination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew to Madrid via Dubai a few weeks ago and did a stop over of about 30 hours. We arrived at about midnight so went to a hotel for the rest of that night and the following day and night. The good thing for us was that it meant ds2 who is 10 months slept for pretty much both flights which was a huge bonus as he's the biggest drama queen in the world so having to entertain him would have been hard. Ds1 is 2.5 years and he was absolutely fine. Slept for a bit and was then happy watching tv and playing.
    I think the most important thing is timing the flights right. When we moved to Aus from uk ds1 was 14 months and we did the long 12 hours to Singapore leaving at 10pm. I thought it would be good as he would sleep but it was too late as by the time the food was served and lights went down etc it was midnight and all the kids were screaming as they were tired etc etc. We then had a short 2 hour stop and a 9 hour flight to Sydney. Even though he had very little sleep on the first flight the didn't sleep at all on the second so it was tough keeping him entertained on a night flight being knackered ourselves. This time we flew at 5pm so by the time the light went down it was closer to their normal bedtime so they weren't overtired.
    One thing that it didn't make much difference for though is the jet lag. Somebody said it takes a day for each hour and it was about right. It took well over a week for ds2 to get over the jet lag with many days spent trying to get an hysterical over tired baby to sleep in the middle of the night.
    We fly back on Sunday and we are not doing a stop over this time due to flight times etc it didn't work out. I'm totally dreading it especially as they are both day flights. And both babies have come down with nasty colds. Brilliant.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

debsch  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    On my own with two kids Id def do the 18hrs stop over.

We're flying 1 to twice a year back to France. We've never break the trip but we will for our next flight with a 3.5yo and 1.5yo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do long haul flights once a year and haven't had any issues with a short stopover. I have friends who usually stay for a few days in Korea or Thailand on the way to Europe to break it up for them and the kids, but honestly, the few hours in a stop over airport is enough, and by the time you get back on the plane, get a meal and what not, then lights go off, it's nap time for kids so it works out well. That's my experience anyway.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeah I would do a few hours. I wouldnt do 18 though ... it just drags it out.

I have always gone straight through (well, 3 or 4 hrs at Singapore or Dubai)