+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 Mth Old Waking and Rolling in Sleep

Hello Lovely mummies and daddies out there,
    My DS is now 4 and a little bit months old now and has been rolling from his back to his tummy by himself for about a week now. He hasn't yet mastered the roll from tummy to back. The problem is that when I put him down either during the day or night for a sleep, he always rolls over onto his belly and wakes himself up crying. I have tried putting him down on his belly to sleep however he just continues to cry and works himself in a frenzy. The nights are the hardest because I am not getting any sleep as have to get up every 1-1.5 hours to settle him back to sleep. Has anyone else had this happen to them with there LO? Any suggestions?
    He is currently sleeping in a grobag in a cot in his own room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We went through this too for months. DS would wake himself up rolling either way and be frantic!

DS was never a great sleeper anyway, so when he was 8 months we ended up going to sleep school. It resolved quite a few issues we were having, including this one.

Does he fall asleep on his own, or is he assisted (rocking / feeding / whatever)? We found once DS went to sleep on his own in the cot, he could resettle if he woke up from a roll.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Peppy87  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I asked the same question here before. When DS mastered the rolling, from back to tummy, it was a restless few nights. After a week, he figured out how to sleep on his tummy. The constant waking stopped (well, now constant waking for a different reason !). We couldn't sleep for a night or two after that to make sure he was ok to sleep on his tummy. It turns out that people are right. If he can roll, his neck is strong enough to turn side way on his tummy. He wont suffocate himself.

He is now all over his cot, banging here and there. we have to buy an air wrap so his feet won't get stuck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Peppy87  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We have really struggled with this. Not just in the cot but on the floor. Dd2 is almost 6 months and it's been going on for almost a month. It's not the fact she sleeps on her tummy, it's that she flips on her tummy and doesn't want to stay on there

Here's what has helped here- lots of floor time to help them learn to flip back. She CAN flip back but finds it difficult and often gets frustrated and cries before doing it herself.i do leave her awhile to try and encourage her to do it herself. Also here we have done a bit of tough love (not for everyone) leaving her to settle herself on her tummy so she can actually sleep like that, or if she wants, roll herself back. But I will no longer physically help her.
    Or a gentler option is you can feed/rock them into a deep sleep so when you put them in the cot they stay on their back (at least for awhile).

It's so tough but I keep reminding myself this will only last a little while but it feels like forever at the time.

Eta: I know there are products out there that keep bubs into position and prevents rolling. No idea what they are or if they are actually recommended.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 21-04-2016 at 16:26.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Peppy87  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank lileitak. This is our first baby so very unsure what to do most of the time, who knew you could second guess yourself so many times a day! I am glad your little one is sleeping better now. I am hoping that this is just a phase that he will grow out of but who knows we might end up at sleep school as well.
    At the moment DS is rocked to sleep, only a couple of rocks and he is out like a light, I just am too unsure about my parenting skills to try CIT and CC methods at the moment. Given that we don't have any other bubs I am happy to do it this way (for the moment)... guessing it won't be so easy with the next ones that come along. During the night I have previously only been attending to him if the crying / whimpering got serious and I would settle and feed him to sleep.
    I spoke to a girlfriend who I know had her DS in a love to dream swaddle up until he was 8 months old. So I have dusted off his love to dream swaddle and put he back in that tonight to see if that will help with stopping him roll over. She said her DS was able to roll, and tended not to roll in the LTD Swaddle.
    Anyway here is hoping for a better night sleep.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peppy87 For This Useful Post:

ilex  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry forgot to reply to everyone else... new to this forum website. bbhope how did you put your little one to sleep on their tummy? I have put DS on his tummy and he just gets really distressed, so then I go back to putting him on his back and all is well until he rolls over - cycle repeat!!
    Little Miss Shineshine - I am hearing you about them getting frustrated about not being able to the flip themselves back over. Great advice will try more tummy time and getting him flipping all over the place!
    I think I might also try the sheet that fits onto the cot but has a vest that you zip them into (kinda like a sheet and vest in one) so that they stay put in bed. From memory they are called a snug sheet.
    Thank you all so much for your advice and reassurance that this happens all the time!

Thanks
    Reviews

Second guessing is totally natural. I'm only a few months ahead of you, and I'm still unsure most of what I do. I don't think it goes away!

DS was in a love to dream and we were co-sleeping at night until sleep school, which we finished earlier this month. I waited ages to go because I was (am) very anti CC and was freaking out about him crying. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but now he sleeps all night! I was sure it wouldn't work for us, but it did. His days are still up and down, but better.

Truthfully I couldn't have done it alone. It was hard.

What city are you in? Are there any sleep school in your area? It's so much better with nurses to support you.

I have a few friends who've used the Ferber books successfully. Once recently with 4 month old twins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just did looked up the Ferber method, had no idea what it was until I did some research. Thanks for suggesting. Gosh twins would keep you on your toes! We live in rural Qld on a property so getting to town let alone the city doesn't happen all that often. I think I would def need the help of nurses to get me through it there is no way I would be able to do it by myself, I am too much of a whimp!
    Update on last nights sleep - put DS in his love to dream swaddle and he slept brilliantly with 2 x night feeds and no rolling over. Was a bit unsettled after one feed as had to change nappy, clothing, sleep suit, bedding because he leaked out of his nappy. I just put him in his cot and he cried for a bit so I rubbed his belly and sang to him and he eventually went off to the land of nod by himself (felt like I kicked a goal there!). Very evident that I need to learn Nursery rhymes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a win!!! Take them where you can get them.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Their sleep is so variable at times, it's hard.

Keep doing what you're doing, and I've got my fingers crossed for you!