+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The thing is, no you can't spend $50 (or $60, or $70) on take out when you are on a strict budget. You just can't. It's a luxury that people work to afford. If you would prefer to work more, then you can buy regular expensive take out meals, and have every type of insurance you prefer, and buy new clothes regularly, and spend $500 a month on car repayments. If you prefer to work less, or have one parent at home then you simply do not buy these things. You buy second hand, buy an older car without finance, use an older phone without a plan, eat at home, budget, and save for big items. That just how it is, it's a lifestyle choice.

We live happily & healthily on 52k per year in a fairly affordable area about half an hour from a city.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (21-04-2016),cheeeeesecake  (21-04-2016),MissMuppet  (22-04-2016),Renn  (21-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-04-2016),Stretched  (21-04-2016),Wise Enough  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I'm gobsmacked at how people can pay their bills on such low incomes, especially 25k, how is that possible unless you are living off the grid?
    Is that one referring to our income?By the time you add FTB etc. it's be significantly more than that...at least $35k.

We have a solar system that produces more electricity than we use. It paid itself off a couple of years ago and we're now earning money from it.
    Our mortgage is about $1200 a month at the moment. We do pretty much all our car and house maintenance ourselves. We have home & contents insurance, comprehensive on our car (my job requires it when I'm back at work), and ambulance cover but no other insurance. We paid for our car outright for $4k. Almost all clothes/toys/home wares are bought second hand - and cheap. I rarely pay more than $1 for a piece of kids' clothing, for example. I'm a bloody savvy shopper. We don't eat much meat, and a meal that costs $10 to make is expensive for us (to feed 2 adults, a 3 year old who eats as much as me and a 10 month old...usually with leftovers). I pay $13 a month for my mobile...not sure about DP. I can list it all in more detail if I go over it with DP tonight

We certainly couldn't do it on that income if we lived in inner Sydney though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Joeee  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default If your a sahm/dad how much income?

Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Is that one referring to our income?By the time you add FTB etc. it's be significantly more than that...at least $35k.

We have a solar system that produces more electricity than we use. It paid itself off a couple of years ago and we're now earning money from it.
    Our mortgage is about $1200 a month at the moment. We do pretty much all our car and house maintenance ourselves. We have home & contents insurance, comprehensive on our car (my job requires it when I'm back at work), and ambulance cover but no other insurance. We paid for our car outright for $4k. Almost all clothes/toys/home wares are bought second hand - and cheap. I rarely pay more than $1 for a piece of kids' clothing, for example. I'm a bloody savvy shopper. We don't eat much meat, and a meal that costs $10 to make is expensive for us (to feed 2 adults, a 3 year old who eats as much as me and a 10 month old...usually with leftovers). I pay $13 a month for my mobile...not sure about DP. I can list it all in more detail if I go over it with DP tonight

We certainly couldn't do it on that income if we lived in inner Sydney though.
    Ok, I thought 25k was your income. I assumed people were including their total income including government payments.
    I was wondering how you would do that when our bills which I don't think are extravagant are 17k annually. Kinder costs 3.2k a year on its own!
    35k is still impressive!
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 21-04-2016 at 13:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you not have house and contents insurance? That costs us $200 a month.
    Or car insurance?
    Do your kids not go to Kindergarten or school yet?
    Kinder costs $320 a month (after CCR)
    School I would average at $50 a month for books, uniforms, curriculum expenses. (One child at public school)
    Sorry, I forgot to say we have a few annual bills, suh as insurance, ambulance cover etc that we pay with our tax refund & FTB supps every year. As I said, this was my old budget with 1 baby & 1 toddler. I now have 3 kids, 1 in private school at 4k per year. But this old budget was 4k per month - we now earn 5k per month, which covers extra expenses.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    The thing is, no you can't spend $50 (or $60, or $70) on take out when you are on a strict budget. You just can't. It's a luxury that people work to afford. If you would prefer to work more, then you can buy regular expensive take out meals, and have every type of insurance you prefer, and buy new clothes regularly, and spend $500 a month on car repayments. If you prefer to work less, or have one parent at home then you simply do not buy these things. You buy second hand, buy an older car without finance, use an older phone without a plan, eat at home, budget, and save for big items. That just how it is, it's a lifestyle choice.

We live happily & healthily on 52k per year in a fairly affordable area about half an hour from a city.
    So well said! We earn less & so we are good at spending less. We have a veggie patch & waste very litle food, including using meat bones to make stock, etc. I think I've learned a lot from my Grandma & how well she lived frugally in her era,with little waste.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

We don't have financed cars. Mine is a 2009 and my husband's is a 1998. My kids have hand me downs and second hand clothes. I have often bought myself clothes off buy swap sell pages. My mobile phone is a byo plan and it is 3.5 years old.

I only work 3 days a week, it is often my sanity.

Our biggest bill is our mortgage.

But I wouldn't want to live on a strict budget that didn't allow us to buy a $50 Thai once or twice a month. Screw that!

We earn good money but we don't buy the latest stuff. But I'm not materialistic at all and I couldn't care less about "stuff"
    Last edited by BigRedV; 21-04-2016 at 14:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Ok, I thought 25k was your income. I assumed people were including their total income including government payments.
    I was wondering how you would do that when our bills which I don't think are extravagant are 17k annually. Kinder costs 3.2k a year on its own!
    35k is still impressive!
    Is kinder first year of school there? That's private for that price isn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Is kinder first year of school there? That's private for that price isn't it?
    Kindergarten is the year before formal schooling starts (the first year of school is called Prep in Qld). The federal government funds 15 hours per week per child but I'm not sure what that funding covers as DD's kindergarten costs $90 per day. I get CCR as I work which reduces the fees by 50%. DD attends 2 days per week. After CCR that costs around $320 a month.

I know in some states the council runs kinder programs but in Qld they are all privately run. There are community not for profits but they operate school hours, I believe they are slightly cheaper.

My son is in Prep in public school which I would average at $50 a month.
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 21-04-2016 at 14:16.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    So well said! We earn less & so we are good at spending less. We have a veggie patch & waste very litle food, including using meat bones to make stock, etc. I think I've learned a lot from my Grandma & how well she lived frugally in her era,with little waste.
    Me too, I find myself inspired by my grandma, living with ten kids (!) in the post depression era. She says that things are actually harder now, as in her words "they didn't have anything, but neither did anybody else". I guess there is alot of consumer pressure these days

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (22-04-2016),Renn  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

This

Tho I like my odd luxury of gym membership, coffee 1-2X a week and pretty shoes.

We rarely eat out for dinner as its often overpriced here in Canberra and terrible. We do tho go out for coffee/milkshakes once a week for a family treat if I've kept to under $150/week grocery bill.

For our family, we would rather be home more with the kids and live simply than both of us working FT. It's about making it work.