+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Yes, you're right 😂😂😂 Gawd I need sleep!
    Ha. We all do! I'm off to bed now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yes but many people don't have a choice as its the only local school - my clients that do like it is because its NAPLAN testing scores are high and they think that helps them get into the selective schools as not many like the local high school - the ones that don't like it is because I know last year years 5 and 6 had 6 classes each of 30 kids so not 250 but 180 still a big year size , luckily kindy is capped at 20 kids but there are 8 classes ( we know 2 kids from DS pre school who started kindy there this year)
    You can get into surrounding schools out of area but if you want to get into Hurstville as an out of area you've got no chance.

I've got friends who are in the zone for Hurstville but attend my children's school.

The NAPLAN scores at Hurstville would be because the kids are all at tutoring being trained how to sit NAPLAN and selective high school tests.

I'm not saying that the teachers aren't great or anything, but they certainly have a head start on many other schools because of that but I also know that they focus a lot on literacy and numeracy.

My friend's son started kindy there this year. She's a school teacher at a local public school and she said that they don't much besides reading and writing. She has considered moving her son to my children's school but she said he doesn't know any different and he's happy. But she is disappointed they don't offer many other things besides band but that's not for kindy anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You can get into surrounding schools out of area but if you want to get into Hurstville as an out of area you've got no chance.

I've got friends who are in the zone for Hurstville but attend my children's school.

The NAPLAN scores at Hurstville would be because the kids are all at tutoring being trained how to sit NAPLAN and selective high school tests.

I'm not saying that the teachers aren't great or anything, but they certainly have a head start on many other schools because of that but I also know that they focus a lot on literacy and numeracy.

My friend's son started kindy there this year. She's a school teacher at a local public school and she said that they don't much besides reading and writing. She has considered moving her son to my children's school but she said he doesn't know any different and he's happy. But she is disappointed they don't offer many other things besides band but that's not for kindy anyway.
    Im amazed at how many people do get tutors for the selective schools test, in the past few years I've met so many clients who do, I think it's quite sad , the poor kids are under so much pressure and from the people I know who did go to selective schools they say it's very competitive and again they are all put under pressure to get good results , these kids must have no life outside studying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Im amazed at how many people do get tutors for the selective schools test, in the past few years I've met so many clients who do, I think it's quite sad , the poor kids are under so much pressure and from the people I know who did go to selective schools they say it's very competitive and again they are all put under pressure to get good results , these kids must have no life outside studying!
    I know My friend's daughter goes to a local catholic school and she said the parents put their child in public school kindy the year their child turned 5 (if 5 before cut off) then put them into the catholic school in kindy the following year to give their child a head start. She said her daughter has been asking about getting a tutor because it's the in thing as everyone else has one. It all sounds so competitive from what she says.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    Sorry to derail further, but where are these communities? I'm well aware of this issues in remote communities, but I'm not sure about this statement.
    I've been to many aboriginal communities in the Kimberley and my husband and uncle have worked in them. Remote communities here are not without power and water. How they are portrayed is far from the truth. The houses in the communities are in good condition to begin with but they are not maintained/looked after. So much money is poored into these communities to fix the houses etc. Many indigenous choose to sleep outside on mattresses rather than inside. It's a sad reality but it's how they choose to live.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 26-04-2016 at 13:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to derail further, but where are these communities? I'm well aware of this issues in remote communities, but I'm not sure about this statement.
    There are many remote communities around. I worked in an aboriginal community on the border of the NSW outback. It was isolated but not far from Victorian border so it wasn't as remote as other communities around the area. The houses were made out of dirt with corrugated iron roofs. No air conditioning, lots of dust so many health problems. No electricity or street lights.

I suggest you watch utopia. It's a real eye opener.

http://theconversation.com/review-pi...-in-2014-21965

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I've been to many aboriginal communities in the Kimberley and my husband and uncle have worked in them. Remote communities here are not without power and water. How they are portrayed is far from the truth. The houses in the communities are in good condition to begin with but they are not maintained/looked after. So much money is poored into these communities to fix the houses etc. Many indigenous choose to sleep outside on mattresses rather than inside. It's a sad reality but it's how they choose to live.
    Aboriginal people in the Kimberly were forcibly removed from their land, you know the land they lived on that they didn't need housing for etc. then they got forcibly removed and plonked into missions. Then they get told to live in a house, which is a completely foreign concept to them.

Here is an article that discusses the living conditions of aboriginal people in the Kimberley.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/12/17/...s-communities/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    There are many remote communities around. I worked in an aboriginal community on the border of the NSW outback. It was isolated but not far from Victorian border so it wasn't as remote as other communities around the area. The houses were made out of dirt with corrugated iron roofs. No air conditioning, lots of dust so many health problems. No electricity or street lights.

I suggest you watch utopia. It's a real eye opener.

http://theconversation.com/review-pi...-in-2014-21965
    Thanks, but I have worked in nearly every remote indigenous community in Queensland and grew up in a large indigenous community in NSW. My husband currently works in the Torres Strait.

I sometimes think that Utopia is a biography of my life and the work I do.

My point was merely that all the communities I know of have water and electricity (I know this because I helped design a lot of it).

I know there are plenty of issues in the communities and I see it often. I too am passionate about these communities.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default If your a sahm/dad how much income?

Thanks, but I have worked in nearly every remote indigenous community in Queensland and grew up in a large indigenous community in NSW. My husband currently works in the Torres Strait.

I sometimes think that Utopia is a biography of my life and the work I do.

My point was merely that all the communities I know of have water and electricity (I know this because I helped design a lot of it).

I know there are plenty of issues in the communities and I see it often. I too am passionate about these communities.
    That's great, still a long way from equality, though, hey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    That's great, still a long way from equality, though, hey
    It's a very long way from equal (and I've never suggested anything else). However if we are serious about closing the gap we need to start looking at the real issues. I just find looking at issues about infrastructure (and housing) usually miss the point. The real issues are much more complex and the perceived infrastructure issues are just a distraction.

Anyway a complete tangent from the thread.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (28-04-2016),Ngaiz  (28-04-2016)