+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I don't want to get into a big debate but are you aware that Indigenous Australians are often living in third world conditions?
    Drug, alcohol, solvents, sexual abuse, rape of small children. No running water or electricity.
    Young Aboriginal children in this country are killing themselves.
    ETA. I don't want to derail the thread but comparing a sh!t situation to something sh!tier doesn't negate the sh!t.
    My horn has tooted.
    While I agree entirely we are currently on holiday in Vietnam and staying near the coast. All day we see and hear war planes (fighters) flying over where we're staying. It's loud and aggressive. And there's no war or threat to us.

My 10 year old was beside herself on the first day we were here because she found it so confronting. And it is. But compared to other places in the world it's nothing.

I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to live as a child in a war zone, to try and go to school and live a normal life.

I'm not fanning a debate about who has it worse not at all. It's not a fight anyone wants to win anyway.

This past week has made me think what it must be like to live near war. I feel so sad for those people who do.

Anyway as you were.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It was a bit pompous.

I understand moving away from a low ses area to want a better opportunity for your kids but I don't agree with the public schools being rubbish just because they service low ses areas and that they have 250 students in each year in primary school.
    I was talking about the choice we made for ourselves, and nowhere did I say that the schools were rubbish. I said they were overfull, which they are. A lot of the playground has been taken up by demountables because they ran out of room. The schools are overfull, no doubt. Also, I went to the schools I was talking about. I know exactly what they were like. I survived and got a decent education but I HATED school. Absolutely hated it for so many reasons. I didn't want to send my kids there if I didn't have to. My kids love school. They have fostered a love of learning I never had. We have a teacher at our school who used to teach from the area I grew up in. We've become friends and she's told me how much easier it is to teach at our school...that when there is a problem it is nothing to deal with compared with what she used to have deal with....because the majority of kids at our school don't have the home life issues. I have family members who have kids at these schools...they have to deal with issues we simply don't have.
    My post was pompous to you because you chose to read it that way, and you have continued to read them that way (by saying that I said the schools were rubbish) I wasn't talking about a choice we made for ourselves, not in general, and was saying that I understand how lucky we are to have that choice, because I recognise not everyone does (even with two wages).
    I also recognise that living cheaply doesn't mean you are faced with the same issues we would be facing if we moved. And the fact is, when I go and visit family I hate being there (love seeing family, just hate the area). I have moved on. My life is where I live now...and it gives us a lifestyle that my hometown can not (regardless of schools, family status etc.).
    I consider myself very lucky that we earn enough money (just!) that we can continue to live where we do.
    Last edited by Full House; 23-04-2016 at 06:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There isn't a public primary school in NSW that has 250 kids in each year group. The biggest public primary school is Hurstville public school with 1000 kids. It's bursting at the seams but so many people buy property in the area to get into that school.
    The public school I went to has had 5 full kindergarten classrooms the last few years...5 x 20 = 200 kids in kindergarten. Not 250, but not far off. There has been a lot of community rallying happening to try and get another school built. The schools in the area are busting at the seams. When I was in primary school, there was 900 kids...another school got built, but due to big growth in the area, the school sizes are very large again.
    I also had a quick look...71% of the school I went to is made up of children from low ses families. I know that low ses doesn't = negative...but I know the area, and in this instance it's not mainly made up of hard working, low income producing families.
    Last edited by Full House; 23-04-2016 at 07:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I had to laugh at that original comment actually. Some people really have no idea how lucky we are in Australia ... Even in low SES communities.

Attachment 80592

Attachment 80593

Attachment 80594
    Thanks, but I get it ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Well we aren't in the middle of a war but there are aboriginal communities that don't have water or electricity.
    Sorry to derail further, but where are these communities? I'm well aware of this issues in remote communities, but I'm not sure about this statement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default If your a sahm/dad how much income?

There isn't a public primary school in NSW that has 250 kids in each year group. The biggest public primary school is Hurstville public school with 1000 kids. It's bursting at the seams but so many people buy property in the area to get into that school.
    Yes but many people don't have a choice as its the only local school - my clients that do like it is because its NAPLAN testing scores are high and they think that helps them get into the selective schools as not many like the local high school - the ones that don't like it is because I know last year years 5 and 6 had 6 classes each of 30 kids so not 250 but 180 still a big year size , luckily kindy is capped at 20 kids but there are 8 classes ( we know 2 kids from DS pre school who started kindy there this year)
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 23-04-2016 at 08:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I don't want to get into a big debate but are you aware that Indigenous Australians are often living in third world conditions?
    Drug, alcohol, solvents, sexual abuse, rape of small children. No running water or electricity.
    Young Aboriginal children in this country are killing themselves.
    ETA. I don't want to derail the thread but comparing a sh!t situation to something sh!tier doesn't negate the sh!t.
    My horn has tooted.
    I am absolutely aware. I'm not going to argue with you. Although I think even remote aboriginal communities cannot be compared to war zones, but yes, no point comparing **** places to ****tier places. I wasn't doing that. I was comparing god awful places to low SES suburbs that were referred to in an earlier post. Somehow I don't think she was choosing between a remote aboriginal community and a swanky inner city suburb.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    What many people don't realise is that lots of low SES schools actually have small class sizes from better funding. Our kinder classes are 15-18 kids per class. In addition, they are excellent schools to send kids who perform well, to bc they have the extra funds for gifted classes like ours does. Demountables aren't attractive, but ours all have smart boards and are normal classrooms but just aren't original buildings. Beneath the NAPLAN scores, demountable city lol and low SES status are often excellent schools who cater to much more diverse kids than private do.

And I've found many private schools actually have larger class sizes than low SES schools....

I'm criticising or questioning those that send their kids private, each to their own blah blah but please look beneath the labels before choosing your child's school. You could be very surprised....

ETA: *not* criticising. Really must proof read Delirium! >_<
    Last edited by delirium; 23-04-2016 at 08:33.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (23-04-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There are schools in my area with Sydney with well over 1000 kids in the school. The smallest of my local schools has 800 pupils. The school the kids I nanny for go to had 9 kindergarten classes this year so what's that, at least 160-200 students. One of our local schools had 1700 enrolments in 2015.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I am absolutely aware. I'm not going to argue with you. Although I think even remote aboriginal communities cannot be compared to war zones, but yes, no point comparing **** places to ****tier places. I wasn't doing that. I was comparing god awful places to low SES suburbs that were referred to in an earlier post. Somehow I don't think she was choosing between a remote aboriginal community and a swanky inner city suburb.
    No, I wasn't. But so what? Is that the only time it's okay in bh land to choose to live in the more expensive area? When the alternative is a remote Aboriginal community?
    I've explained where I was coming from a few times. If our choice to live where we do has ruffled some feathers, well, I can't help that. I'm not talking about Australia in general...I'm talking about the area I live i vs the alternative, I'm talking about the lifestyle we have here, vs what it would be if we moved (without even factoring in schools/ ses etc.).
    I'm done explaining myself to a bunch of strangers on the internet, though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-04-2016)