+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Am enjoying this topic as I also find it interesting people perception of income.

My siblings think my husband must earn a lot more then he does ($87000) as we have three young children, mortgage, caravan and live quite comfortably on one income.

I am really organised with good meal planning and do a lot of baking for our snacks so I keep our food shopping down to $200 a fortnight and we normally get take away once and go out for lunch/ dinner once in a fortnight.

My oldest is 3.5 and doesn't go to private kindy ( qld-year before formal school) as I love having her at home and believe I can offer her more experiences then the money it would cost us to send her.

We don't have a lot of day to day cost. I don't drink coffee, husband takes leftovers for lunch. I have a gym membership and husband plays squash 3 times a week. Do free activities with kids ( playground, park, beach, library)

I guess everyone has different luxuries and priorities on what they will compromise on for lifestyle.

I think it's terrible more families can't have one parent at home. But then some people seem to want a 'better' lifestyle' so that's why they have double income.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mandmbaby For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default If your a sahm/dad how much income?

Quote Originally Posted by mandmbaby View Post
    I think it's terrible more families can't have one parent at home. But then some people seem to want a 'better' lifestyle' so that's why they have double income.
    Some people don't want to be home full time with their kids. I know it sounds awful to some but it's true. I am fortunate enough to be able to work part time. I've only worked 2 or 3 days a week since having kids and it is a perfect balance for me. I don't work because I want a better lifestyle, I work because I like my job and I'm just not cut out to be a full time sahp and neither is my husband. I get bored, lazy and go crazy. I love my kids but I need more than being at home with them all the time.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-04-2016),Anjalee  (21-04-2016),babyla  (21-04-2016),babyno1onboard  (21-04-2016),Bongley  (23-04-2016),DarcyJ  (23-04-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (21-04-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-04-2016),PinkPopsicle  (21-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-04-2016),smallpotatoes  (21-04-2016),WaitRose  (21-04-2016),Wise Enough  (21-04-2016),witherwings  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont want to be home with my kids full time; i like working 2-3 days a week and i like the financial aspect of it too. Works for us and we're happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I certainly don't want to be full time with my kids! lol

A longer wkd would be nice though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Kindergarten is the year before formal schooling starts (which is called Prep in Qld). The federal government funds 15 hours per week per child but I'm not sure what that funding covers as DD's kindergarten costs $90 per day. I get CCR as I work which reduces the fees by 50%. DD attends 2 days per week. After CCR that costs around $320 a month.

I know in some states the council runs kinder programs but in Qld they are all privately run. There are community not for profits but they operate school hours, I believe they are slightly cheaper.
    Another thing completely different between states. In SA kindy is the year a kid is 4 at the beginning of the year (before end of April), Primary school starts at 'reception' when they are 5 (before end of April) followed by years 1-7.

The majority of kindy's are state government owned. They can go up to 2.5 (school hour) days a week and the fee for the year is $300(ish) if kids stay for lunch during full days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default If your a sahm/dad how much income?

Quote Originally Posted by mandmbaby View Post

What would be terrible would be me quitting my well paid, fulfilling, permanent public service job that took years of study to obtain. That pays me good super so I am independent in retirement, that challenges me and enables me to work part time and have an excellent work family balance. And for what?, my youngest starts school next year, I'd have given up all that and be going up against people who haven't had a career break to try and get back in. No thanks!

@Asquared.... $300 a year!!!! That's unbelievable!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-04-2016),amyd  (23-04-2016),smallpotatoes  (21-04-2016),WaitRose  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't having a go at working parents and I do believe it isn't for everyone to be home full time. Whatever balance works for you and your family.

I probably should have said I feel terrible for people who want to be at home and can't for financial reasons. plenty of my friends love working part time but I know a few of them wish they could be at home and didn't have to work.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandmbaby For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (23-04-2016),Freyamum  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, and the Hub is full of women who "stayed home for the good of their family" and found out when something unexpected happened - divorce, illness, redundancy - that such a move was not very sensible. Being financially independant is important for everyone and I'm always amazed at how many members on these boards seem to ignore this.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meitis For This Useful Post:

DT75  (22-04-2016),Joeee  (23-04-2016),NoteToSelf  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    OMG I'm doing something drastically wrong. dh and I got this takeaway the other week and it came to $82. for two of us 😳

we did order enough to have leftovers for lunch the next day though so I guess that's more like $40 per meal ie $20 each. that's reasonable I think
    Same. We order take away and it's like $60-90 depending. Lately though I cook rice to make it cheaper 😁

I don't budget i am too scared 😳

Rent $285 we don't pay water or Foxtel here!

Morgage $1100 month
    Car loan $$890 month
    Insurances too much car, houses etc
    Phi $350
    Groceries - $250

We earn around 90k year some family tax

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Some people don't want to be home full time with their kids. I know it sounds awful to some but it's true. I am fortunate enough to be able to work part time. I've only worked 2 or 3 days a week since having kids and it is a perfect balance for me. I don't work because I want a better lifestyle, I work because I like my job and I'm just not cut out to be a full time sahp and neither is my husband. I get bored, lazy and go crazy. I love my kids but I need more than being at home with them all the time.
    I could have written this! Exactly how I feel too 👍🏼