+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much does your self employed tradie earn?

DH is currently employed by someone else (and what I think is a good wage) but looking to go into business for himself. It's very hard to get an idea of earnings potential. So what do you or your self employed partner do and roughly how much do they earn annually?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    It depends on the trade as there can be significant differences in wages.

My DH is a panel beater and he earnt a lot less when he was self employed than he does being employed by someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Very dependent on trade I think. DP is a self employed plasterer but he subcontracts himself to private building companies. If he charges by the hour it's $50 per hour. Mostly charges by the metre though...I think he charges about $2.20 per lineal metre. His annual income varies quite a bit from year to year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

It truly depends on what trade, how many contacts you have and experience , size of business etc, we have heaps of tradies in the family all self employed , incomes range from $80-200k plus - but - it was tight in the beginning for most of them as it will take a few years to build up the business - my BIL is a plumber who has been in business nearly 20 years so has a huge client base , there definitely is a big demand for all trades in our area, especially electricians and plumbers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It truly depends on what trade, how many contacts you have and experience , size of business etc, we have heaps of tradies in the family all self employed , incomes range from $80-200k plus - but - it was tight in the beginning for most of them as it will take a few years to build up the business - my BIL is a plumber who has been in business nearly 20 years so has a huge client base , there definitely is a big demand for all trades in our area, especially electricians and plumbers
    Yep DH is an electrician. I don't look forward to the slow start but I guess he has to start somewhere. Just gives me anxiety!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

My husband charges $58 hour + gst

He has all his tickets for excavating etc. and is quite versatile in what he can do although he doesn't have a specific name for his trade. He works in non-building construction doing a lot of work for electricity companies like ausgrid and also for Sydney water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dh is a sparky but also has the tickets for communications and security cabelling. He can charge $300 per house to do their stuff and it will take about an hr (he works with one other person though, so they split it). This business is very quickly moving from a 'side project' to be his main income source. He is currently still employed outside of that as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    Dh is a sparky but also has the tickets for communications and security cabelling. He can charge $300 per house to do their stuff and it will take about an hr (he works with one other person though, so they split it). This business is very quickly moving from a 'side project' to be his main income source. He is currently still employed outside of that as well.
    That's great! DH has his engineering diploma and training in PLCs/instrumentation etc so really hoping he can get some industrial work too because let's face it, they won't question the bill!