+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Tell me about slow cookers

More specifically, do I want one?

I already have a thermy so wondering if it would be overkill. The issue is you have to be home when cooking in the thermy. I'd love to be able to chuck some stuff in a slow cooker in the morning and come home to a nice healthy meal in the evenings instead of a cobbling crap together when I'm tired.

So, are there recipe books etc? What brand should I consider? Can you do things like a roast in one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quickly replying - I have both a thermo and a slow cooker, I don't think it's overkill. Slow cooker I use for different things. Cooking overnight or when I am not home for one. Come home to a ready cooked meal waiting - worth it just for that!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have both and the slow cooker is the only thing I didn't get rid of when I got the thermie! Totally worth it. Just throw everything in and leave. Plus, a lot of the new ones have a browning function too so you don't even need to brown your meat before you chuck it in (not that I ever did with the old one haha).
    But there are some things that the slow cooker just does better than the thermie too, like pulled pork/beef etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

harvs  (20-04-2016)

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got a thermy and still use my slow cooker heaps!

We use it for things like meatballs, roasts, pulled meat, baked potatoes or scalloped potatoes. Just find it easier when we are out all day etc.

I'm sure there are recipe books, or just google recipes. There is a slow cooker thread on bub hub which has ideas, and there is a few slow cooker groups on Facebook.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

harvs  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love my slow cooker - I do roasts, stews, soup, spaghetti sauce etc in it. Made bread pull apart once too. Heaps of stuff you can make with it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

harvs  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also one with both and definitely not overkill. I use my slow cooker mostly in cold weather but it is so good to put something on in the morning and come home to food being mostly ready.

An example - on Sunday I put on corned beef in the slow cooker. Thermy made the mashed potato/white sauce/veg. So they work together well IMO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

harvs  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. Can i ask what brand does anyone recommend? How do u do roast meats? (Slow cooker).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another one with both TMX and a slow cooker - definitely not over kill! The slow cooker is brilliant for putting meals on and walking away!

There are some amazing ideas in the 'what's in the slow cooker' thread. LoveLivesHere makes so many things in hers that I've not tried!

There are heaps of recipes online just google. Oh and Pinterest! So much stuff on there.
    @GlitterFarts mine is a Sunbeam. I've had it about 18 months (previous one died after 10 years). It has a browsing function, high/low heat settings, keep warm function. It also has a timer so you can set how long you want it to cook for them it goes to the keep warm function for 6 hours before switching off - I love this!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think slow cookers are pretty awesome. Mine is just a cheapie that MIL gave us - still going strong and we've had it for 5 years.

Pinterest is a great source for recipes. There's also a website called Slow Cooker Central - their recipes are really easy and foolproof (they use heaps of pantry staples and most of the recipes are chuck everything in and leave it type recipes).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do people get scared leaving it on while not home? That's the only thing holding me back from buying one.
    I shall google how many house fires they've caused 😦