+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The traditional Sunday roast is about the only memory from my childhood, and that stopped soon after my dad passed. Sunday mass at 9am, followed by the roast for lunch. I don't think we had any real traditions with my own family. I was more a free range sort of parent. marie.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So far we only have Sunday roast and Friday night is dinner at my parents.

Will probably add in pizza and movies on Saturday night once there a little older.

Oh and we have cooked breakfast on either Saturday/Sunday - either pancakes or bacon and eggs - usually DH choice.

DH is also keen to start up golf at a quiet local course with the boys as they get old enough. DS1 is 3 and he is getting ready to go play 9 holes together soon. I like this tradition the best! Boy time means me time eventually ☺️

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We usually do pancakes for breakfast on special occasions, DH does them and they've unintentionally become a bit of a thing. I'm also fanatical about the Santa photo every year which DH hates because it's always hard work but even the bad Santa pics tell a great story.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    These are carried over from childhood.

My mum is German so we grew up with the main celebration of Christmas on Christmas Eve. Both my sister and I still do this with our children. We both use an Advent Kranz in the lead up and exchange gifts on Xmas eve.

Again from my mum at least once a week dinner will just be bread (usually dark rye and pumpernickel), cold meats like salami, leberkase, thick slices of kaiser fleisch or speck, liverwurst, sauerkraut, a selection of cheeses, boiled eggs, pickles, mustards etc... Every one has a small wooden board as a plate and serves themselves.

Childs pick for dinner on birthday.

A nature table - whatever bits and pieces catch the eye on walks or at the park, beach wherever. It gets brought home and displayed. I'm loving being back where there are 4 distinct seasons - which then is reflected on the table!

Movie night care of my dad. It used to involve a trip to the video store lol and then popcorn or a couple of bags of chips. Plus he would always sneak a chocolate out at some point in the night. Same deal now except we trawl Netflix rather than the video store.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Family Traditions.

We have a few!

Birthdays : everyone gets to pick which restaurant to go to for their birthday dinner, we call this family birthday night which is immediate family ( whoever is free - grandparents and aunts/uncles/cousins) this goes for me and DH as well, and then a birthday party every year , every since he could speak ( age 2) we ask a series of questions on video ( my friend did this for her daughter and played it on her 21st it was hilarious - what's your favourite food, movie, what do you want to be when you grow up etc)

Easter - Easter show every year with my dad and just the egg hunt on Easter Sunday

Xmas - elf on the shelf comes back every Dec 1st for the 24 nights up until Xmas and he gets up to mischief , going to pick our Xmas tree ( we get a live one cut every year) Santa calls Xmas eve , baking brownies to give leave out for Santa, photo taken with your opened presents under the tree every year ( DH did this and it's so funny looking back at all the toy/fashion trends throughout the tears)

Holiday -
    We go to in laws beach house every year and have a beach BBQ the night before New Years and then go to local carnival

School holidays - this started last week apparently as it was our first school holidays! Mum and DS movie/lunch date

Anzac Day - last year we started this, we read the book on Anzacs and go watch the soldiers March with my mum in the city , this will be more meaningful as he gets older as my dad is a returned soldier ( Vietnam) , I'd like him to march but dad didn't and probably won't want DS to unfortunately

Weekly:

DS and DH go to get coffee and a salty donut ( Italian donut (bombilini) from a local patisserie, DS always called the sugar salt since he was little so the name stuck! And every Sunday after AFL we all go to breakfast somewhere
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 20-04-2016 at 15:59.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every New Year's Day morning we open the back door to let the old year out then open the front door to let the new year in. I think my gran used to do it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Weekly- Friday is movie & take away night. We alternate between parents & kids choice (within reason, if the kids chose the golden arches too often we veto it). Everyone gets into our bed on Sunday morning & we laze about watching tv until breakfast. Cooked breakfast on Sundays- usually bacon & eggs or pancakes.
    My brother & mum have dinner at our place in Thursday nights, which is a roast.

Anzac day- all go to the dawn servive, home for bacon & egg rolls on grilled turkish bread (we call them anzac rolls).

Birthdays- birthday boy/girl (incl Dh) wakes up to the house decorated with balloons, ******ers, banners. I love going over the top on their special day. These decorations stay up fir a week usually, so it kind of turns into a birthday festival lol. Birthday boy/girl picks all their meals for the day. Cake at home, cupcakes at school and cake for birthday party (all homemade- i think ill change that lol).

Easter- kids write letters to the Easter bunny. They wake up to bunny footprints outside their bedroom door, usually get pj's, book as well as chocolate hunt.

Christmas- i make an advent calendar with Christmas activities. Kids do Santa letters. We alternate Christmases between mine & DH's family but we always have Christmas morning just our family at home. I love that time together opening Christmas sacks etc. We've just started doing sacks, cooked breakfast then open presents and it worked much better so thats what we'll do from now on.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to My Beloved Ones For This Useful Post:

Phony  (22-04-2016)