+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a couple that we have only don't since the kids have been around and a couple that have been around longer.
    1. for the kids birthdays they get to pick a foil balloon that they want. I have kept them all so far (DD has 7 and DS has 5). The idea is to keep them all and on their 18ths blow them all up.
    2. I started and 'Xmas eve' box a couple of years ago. I put a xmas movie, popcorn, xmas crafts, reindeer food and gingerbread houses in it. We open it on xmas eve and do it all together as a family.
    3. We MAKE Easter chocolates for the family.

Before the kids were born DH and I went camping regularly at Donnybrook...we have taken the kids twice. We go once a year. We ALWAYS have to visit the bakery and go and see the big old tree. At some point I want to go to the medieval festival there as an every year thing.

As a kid I didn't have a big family and didn't have any traditions so decided to make my own when we started a family.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I'm keen to have some traditions with DS too. I can't really remember any from childhood except for I think I always had a new outfit on Christmas Day (not Christmassy, just a pretty dress) until I was about 10.

So far it's all pretty low key; Christmas outfit each year. A trip to a cafe for a babycino and a visit to the bookshop and a playground every Saturday. Miniature trains and a visit to the lake to feed the ducks every fortnight. I also make DS's birthday cake every year, and as he gets older I'd like him to choose his theme.

I love some of these ideas!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just a few family traditions.

Church on Sunday followed by a family coffee date.
    Fri night movie night with popcorn.
    Favourite meals in Birthday week.
    Favourite cake on birthday
    Christmas Eve midnight mass followed by eggnog, cake and hot chocolate for Kids.
    Easter - Pjs and a book.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    great idea for a thread!

Every second sunday we would get KFC or A&W hamburgers (this was in Canada) and go to the park with my dad and kick around a football until sundown.

I think it's called the Divorced Dad Tradition.

We would also collect conkers in autumn (don't know if you get them in aus) and blackberries in summer (in the UK) and take them home and eat with ice cream (the blackberries, not the conkers)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (20-04-2016),Phony  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm loving the Friday night movie night, DaveTTC, that shouldn't be too hard to start off with.
    We used to do the Friday night fish and chips when we lived by the sea up in Byron Bay for a bit. Pure heaven.
    We're in Sydney now and it's too hectic to make that a regular date.
    We do make the effort though, mostly at the crack of dawn on a Sunday morning suits us best. Not too hot or crowded and home for lunch

I do the new PJs and DVD on Christmas Eve as well, but that's only once a year , I need to up my game.

There's some lovely family traditions here

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes on the Friday we do our own (unhealthy) fried stuff. All that frozen stuff that some people love and some hate. Its a night that we will have junk food and good food. One of the kids especially loves strawberries. If i take him shopping with me and he can reach the bags he will eat a punnet before we get home. The other two like them too bit the youngest will sneak them from the fridge in the middle of the night. Sometimes we buy takeaway.

Oh i forgot ... sometimes we make our own pizza using wraps as a base. Kids help make them and love them. Ok maybe we are due for another pizza night. And egg on top and bbq sauce goes real well. Kids will have spinach and all sorts of healthy stuff on it and best part .... since they made it themselves they eat it.

You'll know what foods work best for your kids

Usually there is consensus among the kids over movie choice but sometimes we will say 'x' hasnt chosen in a while and the others concede.

They all fight over who sits next to me so often one on my lap and one snuggled in each side. Its good family bonding.

Simple family tradition in this house 'hug and kiss goodnight' & always wake the kids or greet them in the morning if they're up first with a smile.

I am blessed with awesome kids
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 20-04-2016 at 12:01.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have lots of family traditions, but my favorite is one that started accidentally a few years ago. On my birthday, MIL brought me a cake round and got some of that canned whipped cream for the kids to have with it. We were sitting around the table and DP had the cream and asked me 'want some?'
    'Sure'
    'open your mouth'
    so I did, and he FILLED my mouth with canned whipped cream 😂 so now everyone gets cream sprayed in their mouth on their birthday before we start eating cake

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (20-04-2016),Phony  (20-04-2016),Tiny Dancer  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    We have lots of family traditions, but my favorite is one that started accidentally a few years ago. On my birthday, MIL brought me a cake round and got some of that canned whipped cream for the kids to have with it. We were sitting around the table and DP had the cream and asked me 'want some?'
    'Sure'
    'open your mouth'
    so I did, and he FILLED my mouth with canned whipped cream 😂 so now everyone gets cream sprayed in their mouth on their birthday before we start eating cake
    Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not family but at work we get a cake for everyone's birthday. One day it was no ones birthday but we wanted cake.... Got cake, boss came by and asked why.... It was raining, hadn't rained much recently so we said because of the rain, he was confused couldn't remember hiring Lorraine! Lorraine's birthday is still celebrated regularily now a few years on....

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lisau77 For This Useful Post:

almai  (20-04-2016),babyno1onboard  (20-04-2016),DaveTTC  (20-04-2016),Phony  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lorraine