+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ectopic pregnancy support

Quote Originally Posted by Mellie29 View Post
    I'm so, so sorry you are going through this. It really is awful. I had an ectopic at 7 weeks. Initially had methotrexate and ruptured 2 days later - then hand emergency surgery.

To answer your questions-

1. What was your recovery like?

A little slow, the first couple of days were pretty sore and emotionally hard. And I was so, so tired. I did manage on not too strong pain killers though. I had four incision sites. I could not sleep laying down for almost 4 or 5 nights.

2. How long did you have off before going back to work

Initially 2 weeks. I wish I had taken another week as I really needed it but my boss wanted me back. I ended up going back a week and taking another 4 weeks off (other issues with work lead to that in part)

3. How long was your surgery and was it complicated?

I think it was about 3 hours from going in to waking up. I think the actual surgery was not too long.

4. How far away from hospital were you if tube ruptured

It took us about 20 - 25 mins to get from our house to either hospital in town. I was at hospital having a blood test while it was rupturing:
    I've been following your diary for a while now (read all the way back to the start) and just want to say how sorry I am for what you have had to go through over the years. So many ups and downs. I've been thinking positive thoughts for you and hope it works out soon, you both sincerely deserve it.

Thank-you for your kind words. I don't have any pregnancy symptoms, which is odd and may attribute to what's happening according to FS but who knows. All I know is by now, according to the levels the FS should definitely be seeing a sac by now. We knew I was at high risk of ectopic but given there was a little spillage during HSG he said could be possible (plus left tube is patent), but wouldn't know for sure about right tube unless I had laparoscopy (which I've been avoiding like the plague, stupidly). Scans always showed a true hydro so he's not sure what happened during HSG as latest scan from before positive pregnancy and after HSG a few months ago still showed the true sausage hydro picture. Of course I ovulated out of the right ovary, with the damaged tube likely to have picked it up (yes I know speculation but just adds up really).

Anyway, more bloods to be taken in the morning and back to FS tomorrow for another scan and decide on course of action. I think I'd rather him see it is in the tube instead of hearing levels still rising as normal but no sac to be found on scan, because I'll be wondering in the few days leading up to surgery whether it has implanted in tube or somewhere else and whether any other damage may be caused.

Thanks again for the support
    Last edited by Jholla; 21-04-2016 at 03:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by giveitago View Post
    @MrsChino, you are the only other person I have come across that has had an ovarian ectopic. Mine was treated with Methotrexate and I responded way out of all the current literature they had. I got lucky though, even though it took a long time to actually happen.
    Wow @giveitago I have never come across anyone else who has had an ovarian ectopic either! Couldn't believe it when it happened. I'm glad your treatment worked - that must have been a big relief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry that this is happening. Here's my ectopic story. I was around 7 weeks, driving to work on a Monday morning got a sudden stabbing pain, and had to pull over to catch my breath. Continued to work (15 mins drive) and was able to cope at work for an hour or two (I was a vet nurse, so quite a physical job). Had to leave, went home and just stayed in bed, the pain was horrible, but with no bleeding I dismissed it. The next day I went to a gp, but was feeling better, I said I thought it could have been a uti, so I ended up with antibiotics while they ran urinalysis. By Wednesday night I was unable to function due to the pain again, ended up in ED, where I got to wait for 12 hrs before being told that I was dehydrated, and it could 'possibly be ectopic' but as I had a scan booked the next day they sent me home after giving me a bag of fluids. At my scan on the Friday they found the rupture, was rushed back to ED (luckily the scan was in the hospital) before I knew it I had 2 IV lines in, they had called a 'code' so everyone rushed to my bed. I can't remember how long it was before I had surgery, I was about to go in, but then an emergency c-section took priority, so had to wait. They managed to go in via laporoscopy so had 3 small incisions. Recovery took a while for me, but I have no doubt it had a lot to do with the blood loss, I took about 4 weeks off work, then went back on light duties, (after trying to walk a boisterous dog, and hurting my abdomen I didn't do that again for a while!)
    As bad as your situation is at the moment, you have a massive bonus that it is being monitored closely, if you have any pain go to ED (the worst pain I had was almost like I was being stabbed in the bottom). My actual gp (not the one I saw on the Tuesday and thought I had a uti) said that pain is associated with fluid in this little pouch located between your uterus and bowels. Which I was having on and off since the Monday morning, so I have no idea when I ruptured.
    I'm not sure what other fertility factors you have at play, but after my ectopic I had multiple unexplained early miscarriages, ended up on baby aspirin and have had 2 successful pregnancies since. So for me it was possible for fall naturally after surgery.
    Wish you all the best, and for a speedy recovery!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to missy26 For This Useful Post:

Jholla  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jholla View Post
    I've been following your diary for a while now (read all the way back to the start) and just want to say how sorry I am for what you have had to go through over the years. So many ups and downs. I've been thinking positive thoughts for you and hope it works out soon, you both sincerely deserve it.

Thank-you for your kind words. I don't have any pregnancy symptoms, which is odd and may attribute to what's happening according to FS but who knows. All I know is by now, according to the levels the FS should definitely be seeing a sac by now. We knew I was at high risk of ectopic but given there was a little spillage during HSG he said could be possible (plus left tube is patent), but wouldn't know for sure about right tube unless I had laparoscopy (which I've been avoiding like the plague, stupidly). Scans always showed a true hydro so he's not sure what happened during HSG as latest scan from before positive pregnancy and after HSG a few months ago still showed the true sausage hydro picture. Of course I ovulated out of the right ovary, with the damaged tube likely to have picked it up (yes I know speculation but just adds up really).

Anyway, more bloods to be taken in the morning and back to FS tomorrow for another scan and decide on course of action. I think I'd rather him see it is in the tube instead of hearing levels still rising as normal but no sac to be found on scan, because I'll be wondering in the few days leading up to surgery whether it has implanted in tube or somewhere else and whether any other damage may be caused.

Thanks again for the support
    I hope everything has gone well for you this morning and you have some answers.

and thank you so much for your kinds words

take care xxx

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @Jholla how are you?