+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ectopic pregnancy support

Hello

I will try to make this as short as possible (here's hoping):

I am almost five weeks pregnant and am likely to have an ectopic pregnancy.

Levels are still doubling but there is no visible sac in the uterus. My FS advised by now 90% of women would show a sac via internal ultrasound.

If my levels have doubled to over 3200 by Friday (1600 as of yesterday) and he cannot see a sac then he will take this as confirmation of being ectopic, given I have a damaged right tube (ultrasounds over the past months have shown a very clear hydro in right tube, although there was spillage during HSG, which made the situation more confusing). The tube is not a normal shape though which indicated an embryo may still have trouble going through. As there was no definitive answer he allowed us to try naturally for a few cycles before moving to IVF since I have an extremely low AMH level for my age (with the plan to have a laparoscopy prior to IVF).

He confirmed I ovulated out of my right ovary, which is the side the hydro is on.

I was hoping I could get some first hand information from those who have had surgery to understand:

1. What was your recovery like?
    2. How long did you have off before going back to work (I realise it depends on the individual)?
    3. How long was your surgery and was it complicated?
    4. How far away from hospital were you if tube ruptured (my FS is through a private hospital, which is where my surgery would be, about 20-25 minutes drive away)?

I have an extreme phobia to general anaesthetic, therefore my mind is currently telling me this isn't going to end well, which of course I know is very unlikely as I'm being monitored daily and we will know the outcome by Friday.

If the ectopic is confirmed Friday he will operate on Monday or Tuesday as he doesn't want to wait any longer than a few days, given I only have a week or so until I'm at high risk of it rupturing (again I know ruptures have happened prior to six weeks, it all depends on where in the tube it is located).

I haven't had any cramps or other pains as yet (or bleeding).

I've cancelled my work travel and will work from home after today until I have a clear answer so that I'm close to hospital.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi lovely,
    I'm so sorry you are going through this confusing time. Sounds like you need abit more information as it doesn't sound text book ectopic yet, but it would also explain your symptoms and situation.
    You want to avoid a rupture if you can - it makes a very straight forward surgery much more complicated and is not as controlled a experience for you. I had a rupture a couple of years ago, and it wasn't too pleasant, but I had no warning of it being ectopic either so it was abit of a shock.
    Your situation is really good in that they are monitoring you. I was 15 minutes away from hospital, but I had to wait 20 minutes for my husband to get home to drive me. Then it was another few hours before surgery once we got there. Recovery was the same as a normal laparoscopic surgery - about a week or two, and you'll just feel abit tender but isn't too painful. The surgery is very straightforward and nothing to worry about, even though you have your phobia as an added layer.
    All in all, I think your situation is a very good one as they have pre diagnosed you, and are checking on you every day. Nothing can go wrong here, albeit being heartbreaking and traumatic at the same time. Rest up, look after yourself and don't be scared lovely - it sounds like you are in good hands. Xxx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to seasun For This Useful Post:

Jholla  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by seasun View Post
    Hi lovely,
    I'm so sorry you are going through this confusing time. Sounds like you need abit more information as it doesn't sound text book ectopic yet, but it would also explain your symptoms and situation.
    You want to avoid a rupture if you can - it makes a very straight forward surgery much more complicated and is not as controlled a experience for you. I had a rupture a couple of years ago, and it wasn't too pleasant, but I had no warning of it being ectopic either so it was abit of a shock.
    Your situation is really good in that they are monitoring you. I was 15 minutes away from hospital, but I had to wait 20 minutes for my husband to get home to drive me. Then it was another few hours before surgery once we got there. Recovery was the same as a normal laparoscopic surgery - about a week or two, and you'll just feel abit tender but isn't too painful. The surgery is very straightforward and nothing to worry about, even though you have your phobia as an added layer.
    All in all, I think your situation is a very good one as they have pre diagnosed you, and are checking on you every day. Nothing can go wrong here, albeit being heartbreaking and traumatic at the same time. Rest up, look after yourself and don't be scared lovely - it sounds like you are in good hands. Xxx
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Shall see what Friday brings.😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Jholla I am so sorry this is happening to you. I had an ectopic last year and it was a really hard time (especially the whole ‘pregnancy of unknown location’ time before it was found) – I wouldn’t wish it on anyone so my heart goes out to you. Like @seasun said, it is really good that they are monitoring you closely. Hopefully this will avoid any kind of emergency situation. I guess in preparing for the weekend I would just make sure you have a plan in place so you know what to do if anything happens before your surgery day (pain etc). Get straight to hospital quick sticks if you do feel any pain, as once a rupture has occurred things are much more difficult to manage.

In terms of recovery, I took a week off work. I was still pretty sore when I went back so probably should have taken longer, but mentally I needed the distraction as I was struggling just being at home alone with my thoughts. The time after surgery was a bit of a rollercoaster emotionally, so I guess maybe just prepare yourself for that too. For a couple of days I was on a bit of a high, just so relieved that the surgery had gone ok and there were no complications. But then after a couple of days the sadness hit like a ton of bricks and it wasn’t a good time at all.

My surgery was a bit more complicated than normal because the pregnancy was in my ovary, but my understanding is that if it’s in the tube and a rupture has not occurred it is a relatively straightforward procedure. I’m sure your phobia adds another layer of stress to the whole situation, but I know in my case I was grateful for the anaesthetic as I could finally just float away after the stress and worry of the preceding couple of weeks. I was pretty teary and upset just before the surgery so it actually felt like a relief at the time. Make sure you let the anaesthetist know how you feel and they will take care of you (they might give you something to help you relax beforehand). I found all the staff absolutely wonderful and so caring and sensitive to what I was going through – I hope that’s your experience too.

Re distance from hospital – I didn’t have a rupture, however as soon as my pregnancy was picked up on the scan I was rushed straight from my FS’s rooms to hospital for surgery. Even so, it was a couple of hours before the surgery started, so I would think being 25 mins away would be fine.

All the very best for the coming days. I hope it all goes smoothly and your recovery is quick and as easy as possible. Let us know how you get on

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsChino For This Useful Post:

Jholla  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsChino View Post
    @Jholla I am so sorry this is happening to you. I had an ectopic last year and it was a really hard time (especially the whole ‘pregnancy of unknown location’ time before it was found) – I wouldn’t wish it on anyone so my heart goes out to you. Like @seasun said, it is really good that they are monitoring you closely. Hopefully this will avoid any kind of emergency situation. I guess in preparing for the weekend I would just make sure you have a plan in place so you know what to do if anything happens before your surgery day (pain etc). Get straight to hospital quick sticks if you do feel any pain, as once a rupture has occurred things are much more difficult to manage.

In terms of recovery, I took a week off work. I was still pretty sore when I went back so probably should have taken longer, but mentally I needed the distraction as I was struggling just being at home alone with my thoughts. The time after surgery was a bit of a rollercoaster emotionally, so I guess maybe just prepare yourself for that too. For a couple of days I was on a bit of a high, just so relieved that the surgery had gone ok and there were no complications. But then after a couple of days the sadness hit like a ton of bricks and it wasn’t a good time at all.

My surgery was a bit more complicated than normal because the pregnancy was in my ovary, but my understanding is that if it’s in the tube and a rupture has not occurred it is a relatively straightforward procedure. I’m sure your phobia adds another layer of stress to the whole situation, but I know in my case I was grateful for the anaesthetic as I could finally just float away after the stress and worry of the preceding couple of weeks. I was pretty teary and upset just before the surgery so it actually felt like a relief at the time. Make sure you let the anaesthetist know how you feel and they will take care of you (they might give you something to help you relax beforehand). I found all the staff absolutely wonderful and so caring and sensitive to what I was going through – I hope that’s your experience too.

Re distance from hospital – I didn’t have a rupture, however as soon as my pregnancy was picked up on the scan I was rushed straight from my FS’s rooms to hospital for surgery. Even so, it was a couple of hours before the surgery started, so I would think being 25 mins away would be fine.

All the very best for the coming days. I hope it all goes smoothly and your recovery is quick and as easy as possible. Let us know how you get on
    Yes I will update. Thanks for replying. Im sorry you had to go through that

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jholla For This Useful Post:

MrsChino  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am so sorry this is happening to you
    Have they done any internal scans yet? I found with both of my ectopics they were able to do the "poke test" to determine the ectopic, and quite early on too once they should have been able to see a sac.

Both mine ruptured (once after 2 doses of methotrexate and once without other treatment). They will always try and go in via keyhole first, so if that's the case recovery isn't horrible. I felt "full" and gassy for about 3 days but the incisions themselves were fine and didn't cause too much pain.

I was off work for about a week with each one, that was enough recovery time for me physically, but emotionally I wish I hadn't of gone back. But, some people would welcome the distraction so that's a hard call.

I was in hospital for one of my ruptures already and I won't lie, I went from ok to unconscious within minutes. However, my ectopic had implanted on the stump from my previous ectopic and was getting a higher blood flow than usual so that did contribute to the severity of it. But, it's good to be close by so if you do start to feel the signs of a rupture (should tip pain, bleeding, cramping etc) I wouldn't muck around and I'd call an ambulance. I don't want to sound doom and gloom but it can be really serious.

Where are you located? Some hospitals are better than others in dealing with ectopics...

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I wish you all the best and please keep us updated!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Jholla  (20-04-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi
    I suffered a ruptured ectopic in December. I was 5 weeks, 3 days.
    I am so sorry that you're going through this, it's such a scary, stressful and sad experience.
    To answer your questions
    1) It took me a few days to feel better physically. The first 48 hours after surgery (I had my right tube completely removed as it was damaged beyond repair) were hard. I was vomiting from the pain drugs, couldn't walk and my whole body felt like I'd been hit by a truck. The gurney they place you on for the operation is not kind to your back.
    I will say though, my recovery was pretty quick, after an intense 48 hours I felt very well. The body is an amazing thing. You will be given pain killers to take home. I spent the first 12 hours after being discharged sleeping. I was beyond exhausted.
    2) I wasn't working at the time, but based on my recovery I'd have been able to work within a week.
    3) Surgery was around 2 hours. Uncomplicated. It was my very first time under a general so I was absolutely petrified.
    4) I am a 10 minute drive away from my hospital. I felt the burst in the early hours of the morning (around 4-6am) and by the time I'd arranged a lift to the hospital (my car was not working at the time) and had all of the tests etc, it was about 12pm. I didn't bleed though, but the scan showed a lot of fluid inside. It's a matter of urgency and the sooner they do the surgery after a rupture the better.

I hope things go as smoothly as possible for you, it's such an awful thing to have happen 😞
    Big hugs xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Jholla  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I am so sorry this is happening to you
    Have they done any internal scans yet? I found with both of my ectopics they were able to do the "poke test" to determine the ectopic, and quite early on too once they should have been able to see a sac.

Both mine ruptured (once after 2 doses of methotrexate and once without other treatment). They will always try and go in via keyhole first, so if that's the case recovery isn't horrible. I felt "full" and gassy for about 3 days but the incisions themselves were fine and didn't cause too much pain.

I was off work for about a week with each one, that was enough recovery time for me physically, but emotionally I wish I hadn't of gone back. But, some people would welcome the distraction so that's a hard call.

I was in hospital for one of my ruptures already and I won't lie, I went from ok to unconscious within minutes. However, my ectopic had implanted on the stump from my previous ectopic and was getting a higher blood flow than usual so that did contribute to the severity of it. But, it's good to be close by so if you do start to feel the signs of a rupture (should tip pain, bleeding, cramping etc) I wouldn't muck around and I'd call an ambulance. I don't want to sound doom and gloom but it can be really serious.

Where are you located? Some hospitals are better than others in dealing with ectopics...

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I wish you all the best and please keep us updated!
    Hi

Yes I had an internal scan yesterday, which showed nothing (yet there is a pregnancy somewhere as levels keep rising, for now). As I was already at risk of ectopic, chances are this is one but obviously must wait until there is conclusive evidence.

It will be through a private hospital on the Gold Coast (Pindara).

What is the "poke test"? Is that another term for the internal? Sorry to ask a silly question!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Hi
    I suffered a ruptured ectopic in December. I was 5 weeks, 3 days.
    I am so sorry that you're going through this, it's such a scary, stressful and sad experience.
    To answer your questions
    1) It took me a few days to feel better physically. The first 48 hours after surgery (I had my right tube completely removed as it was damaged beyond repair) were hard. I was vomiting from the pain drugs, couldn't walk and my whole body felt like I'd been hit by a truck. The gurney they place you on for the operation is not kind to your back.
    I will say though, my recovery was pretty quick, after an intense 48 hours I felt very well. The body is an amazing thing. You will be given pain killers to take home. I spent the first 12 hours after being discharged sleeping. I was beyond exhausted.
    2) I wasn't working at the time, but based on my recovery I'd have been able to work within a week.
    3) Surgery was around 2 hours. Uncomplicated. It was my very first time under a general so I was absolutely petrified.
    4) I am a 10 minute drive away from my hospital. I felt the burst in the early hours of the morning (around 4-6am) and by the time I'd arranged a lift to the hospital (my car was not working at the time) and had all of the tests etc, it was about 12pm. I didn't bleed though, but the scan showed a lot of fluid inside. It's a matter of urgency and the sooner they do the surgery after a rupture the better.

I hope things go as smoothly as possible for you, it's such an awful thing to have happen 😞
    Big hugs xx
    That's terrible, this happens a lot more than I thought!😥

I showed a lot of fluid in my scan, not sure what that meant but I'll hopefully know more by end of week with more tests / scans. Last thing I want is being in limbo during inconclusive phase and having a rupture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    If it is ectopic, consider methotrexate. It's an injection that strips the body of folate and basically everything and ends the pregnancy without surgery. You do need to be in certain perameters - your tube distention has to be within a certain range, as does your HcG. There was a third one but I forget. I had the choice of surgery or the shot and chose the latter. Methotrexate is good when it's early on and you haven't ruptured yet.

The injection pro's - no surgery, little to no time off work. High success rate.
    Cons - you can't get pg for 3 months as it is essentially chemotherapy. In rare cases it doesn't work and you need a 2nd injection. You feel exhausted for a good 2 weeks.

Surgery pros - once it's over it's done, no lingering effects like the injection.
    Cons - surgery can scar the tube if they save it, which can ironically lead to more ectopic. Longer recovery time.