Feeding to sleep | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Ok I had no idea. I don't read DIGs. I'm just picking up from your posts last week about leaving your little one to self settle. Why would you think you'd be crucified?
    well following on from that. I found it quite hurtful to be judged like that. I thought bub hub was supposed to be supportive. anyway not derailing another thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    well following on from that. I found it quite hurtful to be judged like that. I thought bub hub was supposed to be supportive. anyway not derailing another thread.
    It was support I was offering you. Sorry if you don't see it that way. You and I have a lot in common and all I'm trying to do is help.

OP sorry for detailing this for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    We've tried 3 different ones. DS didn't take one either, I was hoping she'd be different!! Would be really handy right now lol
    Bugger

Thanks
    Reviews
    You might love it with time, I absolutely hated bf for months, my Bub fell in love with it at about 10w over bottle so I persisted but then by 5-6 mths I actually loved feeding him, still feed him at 21 mths..... Was so never gunna!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I fed my 2nd bub to sleep for awhile as she was impossible to get to sleep during the first year but it was frustrating that I was the only one who could get her to sleep.
    With bub #3 who is now 16 weeks, he fed to sleep for awhile but has naturally fallen into a feed-play-sleep routine so he breastfeeds when he wakes up, is awake and entertained for 1.5 hrs and then I swaddle him and put him to bed with his dummy and he thankfully self-settles without a murmur. Perhaps once bub is a bit older you could try the feed-play-sleep routine and even if bub doesn't self settle you could try patting, rocking etc.
    (He does breastfeed right before bed at night but he waits to be put into his bassinet before falling asleep)

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybambino View Post
    I fed my 2nd bub to sleep for awhile as she was impossible to get to sleep during the first year but it was frustrating that I was the only one who could get her to sleep.
    With bub #3 who is now 16 weeks, he fed to sleep for awhile but has naturally fallen into a feed-play-sleep routine so he breastfeeds when he wakes up, is awake and entertained for 1.5 hrs and then I swaddle him and put him to bed with his dummy and he thankfully self-settles without a murmur. Perhaps once bub is a bit older you could try the feed-play-sleep routine and even if bub doesn't self settle you could try patting, rocking etc.
    (He does breastfeed right before bed at night but he waits to be put into his bassinet before falling asleep)
    Can your baby talk to my baby and get her doing this in time? 😂

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    You might love it with time, I absolutely hated bf for months, my Bub fell in love with it at about 10w over bottle so I persisted but then by 5-6 mths I actually loved feeding him, still feed him at 21 mths..... Was so never gunna!
    Maybe, but I can't see it happening lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although neither of my boys really fed to sleep after 3-4 wks (wish they did sometimes!), and always took a bottle first go (little pigs would suck anything!), I completely understand your want and need to have your DD be able to fall asleep in other ways.

IMO she is still too young and u may need to be patient for a little while yet. She will be so much more alert (potentially harder to settle, maybe not though) in the coming weeks so you might find she changes on her own terms anyway. This I know u already know. Just try enjoy this special time it will be over so soon - plenty of time yet to make changes and adjustments to her 'routine' (for lack of a better word).

She isn't capable of forming habits yet. If she is still doing it after 6-8 weeks maybe that is a good time to try changing things up. (I personally believe forth trimester is about 6 weeks). No harm in persisting with trying a dummy or bottle though. I would be doing the same, I need my independence too.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

hakuna matata  (21-04-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I'll be crucified for saying this but I don't care. we don't feed to sleep. ds falls asleep on me whilst feeding but I then transition him to bassinet. it wakes him up temporarily but we swaddle and pop him into the basso and he's usually asleep within a few minutes. sometimes he fusses a bit but I'll shhh/pat him and give him his dummy. last night the transition was seamless, almost too easy lol.

we give a bottle of formula for the night feed too (shock horror) so he doesn't tend to get as sleepy with that.

do whatever works for you. it's your bub and its ok to do things that work for you that others may turn their noses up at.
    Totally agree. Do what works.

You're very lucky for your Bub to fall asleep by himself (limited or no intervention from you), hopefully will be the case too for the OP. But OP if it isn't the case for you, most young bubs still need help going to sleep, either by boob (which I understand you want to stop) or rocking in arms or prams or cars or swings or by putting down awake in a basinette and slightly rocking it to give movement.

I highly recommend doing the same sequence of things before putting Bub down to sleep so Bub knows what's coming next. So exactly like TC does with the swaddle, same sleep space and personally I always use white noise, it does wonders. I suspect it's that kind of consistency that has helped TCs baby to fall asleep.

Good luck and do what works and if you want to stop feeding to sleep, go for it, I hope it works

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

hakuna matata  (21-04-2016),turquoisecoast  (21-04-2016)