Feeding to sleep | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I adore nursing to sleep. As in absolutely love it!!! I cried when I weaned the older two and had to find new ways to put my girls to sleep. I've always found it to be the most efficient way of calming babies.

I wouldn't recommend you try to change anything before 12wks because of the 4th trimester stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    Thanks. I've tried not feeding completely to sleep, but she's such a boob monster and will just suck suck suck! And won't take a dummy either.
    Have you tried different dummies mine wouldn't take one till she was 6 weeks she was also impossible to keep awake while breastfeeding until then too so maybe just keep trying and do what works for now and try again later

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I adore nursing to sleep. As in absolutely love it!!! I cried when I weaned the older two and had to find new ways to put my girls to sleep. I've always found it to be the most efficient way of calming babies.

I wouldn't recommend you try to change anything before 12wks because of the 4th trimester stuff.
    I love that you love it, I think it's beautiful 😊 unfortunately it's not for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it and won't stop while she needs it, but I can't do it long term. I need some space and independence.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I'll be crucified for saying this but I don't care. we don't feed to sleep. ds falls asleep on me whilst feeding but I then transition him to bassinet. it wakes him up temporarily but we swaddle and pop him into the basso and he's usually asleep within a few minutes. sometimes he fusses a bit but I'll shhh/pat him and give him his dummy. last night the transition was seamless, almost too easy lol.

we give a bottle of formula for the night feed too (shock horror) so he doesn't tend to get as sleepy with that.

do whatever works for you. it's your bub and its ok to do things that work for you that others may turn their noses up at.
    I thought the op was asking for ideas not looking for validation? Sorry you're feeling like this but I sense you're getting defensive about your methods. Just do what works for you.

OP I fed all mine to sleep basically until it stopped working so anywhere between 12 and 24 weeks. But I get that not everyone likes that and if you don't then try putting him down a little more awake then settling with a dummy, swaddling, shushing or lying the baby on its side

Have you read Harvey Carp's book happiest baby on the block? It was a lifesaver for us with DD1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by flowers21 View Post
    Have you tried different dummies mine wouldn't take one till she was 6 weeks she was also impossible to keep awake while breastfeeding until then too so maybe just keep trying and do what works for now and try again later
    We've tried 3 different ones. DS didn't take one either, I was hoping she'd be different!! Would be really handy right now lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I thought the op was asking for ideas not looking for validation? Sorry you're feeling like this but I sense you're getting defensive about your methods. Just do what works for you.

OP I fed all mine to sleep basically until it stopped working so anywhere between 12 and 24 weeks. But I get that not everyone likes that and if you don't then try putting him down a little more awake then settling with a dummy, swaddling, shushing or lying the baby on its side

Have you read Harvey Carp's book happiest baby on the block? It was a lifesaver for us with DD1.
    I'll look into the book, thank you. She is swaddled and prefers being on her side but I know that's not recommended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any suggestions for other methods but my DD2 outgrew being fed to sleep when she weaned. Prior to that we tried anything else to get her to sleep & failed miserably! I weaned her at 13 months as I was away for the weekend and since then she has slept through the night and now we just pat her to sleep, takes her 5 minutes usually but if she gets over tired it's a bit longer. I know it can feel claustrophobic but once she weans you may find it easier (at least it has been in my experience). She wouldn't have a bar of formula or a bottle/dummy in general, so I had to keep BFing her, so I'm not sure whether it was just weaning that helped or if it was combined with her age.

Good luck OP

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lulupetal For This Useful Post:

hakuna matata  (19-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:

Default Feeding to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    I'll look into the book, thank you. She is swaddled and prefers being on her side but I know that's not recommended.
    All mine slept on their tummies from around 12 weeks. I also know it's not SIDS safe but honestly it's the only thing that worked. My mum is a retired midwife and she said when she was working before sids all babies went on tummies and they never had the sleep problems we have today.

I get the sids guidelines exist for very good reasons by the way. It's just no matter what we did once they were unwrapped they all flipped to their tummies.
    Last edited by Sonja; 19-04-2016 at 21:13.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Feeding to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    the OP in my DIG and I spoke up to offer support.

I'm not feeling like anything. I'm just stating my ideas.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Feeding to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    the OP in my DIG and I spoke up to offer support.

I'm not feeling like anything. I'm just stating my ideas.
    How would I know that? I don't read DIGs. I'm just picking up from your posts last week about leaving your little one to self settle. Why would you think you'd be crucified?