Feeding to sleep | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Feeding to sleep

DD is almost 3 weeks old. Yes, I know she's a teeny baby and just wants me, and I'm giving her me, but my question is, how long do you feed them to sleep?
    Currently I give her one boob then she has a small amount of awake time then I give her the other boob to get her to sleep.
    I don't want to do this forever, as I'm not good at the baby stage and having someone on me 24/7. I want other people to be able to get her to sleep too, as I had terrible trouble with DS and sleeping.
    So, how long do you feed to sleep before trying a different method?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My plan had been to wait 12 weeks before actively trying to settle any other way. That being said my dd is now 21 mo and still prefers to feed to sleep! The best laid plans huh. 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to let her go to sleep completely just drowsy but still awake where you can should help later on as she won't be falling asleep on the boob and you can slowly bring the feed back from sleep time ☺ goodluck (I hate the baby stage too 😯)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flowers21 View Post
    Try not to let her go to sleep completely just drowsy but still awake where you can should help later on as she won't be falling asleep on the boob and you can slowly bring the feed back from sleep time ☺ goodluck (I hate the baby stage too 😯)
    Thanks. I've tried not feeding completely to sleep, but she's such a boob monster and will just suck suck suck! And won't take a dummy either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    My plan had been to wait 12 weeks before actively trying to settle any other way. That being said my dd is now 21 mo and still prefers to feed to sleep! The best laid plans huh. 😄
    Slave to our little humans!

Thanks
    Reviews
    At least 6 months or more for both of my bubs. I mostly bottle fed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I still feed 10 month old DD to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'll be crucified for saying this but I don't care. we don't feed to sleep. ds falls asleep on me whilst feeding but I then transition him to bassinet. it wakes him up temporarily but we swaddle and pop him into the basso and he's usually asleep within a few minutes. sometimes he fusses a bit but I'll shhh/pat him and give him his dummy. last night the transition was seamless, almost too easy lol.

we give a bottle of formula for the night feed too (shock horror) so he doesn't tend to get as sleepy with that.

do whatever works for you. it's your bub and its ok to do things that work for you that others may turn their noses up at.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-04-2016),babyno1onboard  (19-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just whenever feels right for you. I was never able to find a right time really....well, I stopped at 4.5 months with help of sleep school, in a very gentle way, no real protests, but then a couple of weeks later she just went feral and I had to feed to sleep again! Probably a wonder week/ leap. And then I never found another good time and she was 2 yrs old and still wanting to do it! So yeah, maybe try when feels right and see if bub responds well but obviously don't force it if it'll cause too much upset. Just try again a bit later. That's what I'd do anyway 😀Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

hakuna matata  (19-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I'll be crucified for saying this but I don't care. we don't feed to sleep. ds falls asleep on me whilst feeding but I then transition him to bassinet. it wakes him up temporarily but we swaddle and pop him into the basso and he's usually asleep within a few minutes. sometimes he fusses a bit but I'll shhh/pat him and give him his dummy. last night the transition was seamless, almost too easy lol.

we give a bottle of formula for the night feed too (shock horror) so he doesn't tend to get as sleepy with that.

do whatever works for you. it's your bub and its ok to do things that work for you that others may turn their noses up at.
    I don't want to be feeding to sleep, but it's all that's working right now unless I time it with a trip in the car or pram. It can be quite hard to transfer her anywhere once fed to sleep so a lot of the time I'm 'stuck' holding the baby.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (19-04-2016)