White noise users - how do you do it? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default White noise users - how do you do it?

So we had 'some' success with white noise last night - or more specifically, loud ocean waves on repeat... Could have been a coincidence but I will try again tonight. Got the idea after a walk on the beach had 6 wk old DS2 immediately calm and zonked yesterday afternoon. Previous attempts at white noise hadn't worked but I don't think I was doing it loud enough, and needed the find the right 'noise' he would respond to. Perhaps he is remembering my beach walks and meditation I did whilst pregnant...

So my question for noise users:
    Do you use the noise all night or just to get them settled in the evening? And if so when do you turn it off/turn it down?

Do you use the white noise for every sleep or just evening sleep?

Am I setting up a sleep association I am going to have to break later? How can I avoid this?

Right now I am just keen to do what works to get us all a bit of rest. However I am not keen on creating a habit I have to break later, so just not sure on the best way forward. Assuming it works again tonight that is....!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use it all night (quieter) and for day sleeps (louder to drown out house noise). My DD is 9 months and we've been using since about 3 months. I leave it on as have noticed if it goes off she wakes up. I don't mind that it's a sleep association as I don't have to do anything except turn it on and can take anywhere. I use rainfall sounds on a free app called sleepy sounds on an old iPhone (on flight mode so no transmissions 😉). If it works I can't see an issue. The childcare centre DD goes to 2 mornings a week use white noise devices in the baby bedrooms it's not the same noise (or as loud as I use it lol) and she is starting to sleep ok there now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (19-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We don't always use white noise but do mostly use it for day sleeps. I gave it loud!! As loud as it goes with iPad up loud. It's not THAT loud tho

I use it to drown out a bit of the noise of my DS1&2.

I would use it overnight but it annoys me and he's a good sleeper so don't need it. If he wasn't I'd try anything 😂 and in fact I did with DS1!!

In regards to the sleep association. I don't see it as a bad thing. It's not like you need to be doing anything. And there's plenty of adults who need a fan on or the like to sleep - which is what you could graduate to once things improve.

Good luck, hope it makes a difference and you get some sleep!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    we just run a fan all night, it's good for white noise. it's a table top one, not a ceiling fan. so it makes a bit more noise I think.

I've also got some white noise apps on my phone, I liked the airplane white noise, sounded like the noise inflight inside the cabin.

no idea if it makes much difference for us but dh and I like to fall asleep to white noise too so it's just as much for our benefit as it is for bub.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used white noise with dd2, as she was used to the constant noise of the nursery in hospital.

I used an app on my phone that gave the option to slowly decrease the volume until it faded to nothing and a timer.
    I started with it going the whole night (day naps were fine because the house wasn't quiet) and then gradually decreased the volume and time over a few weeks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol the noise started to annoy me about 3am 😂. But it was ok before that probably helped me fall asleep too.

We have had fan on ever since he was born, it's only just starting to cool down now. But fan didn't really work, nor the white noise apps. But I downloaded a realistic beach wave recording that seems to be his thing. And up loud. Maybe it's just a coincidence though.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default White noise users - how do you do it?

I've used white noise on both dd1 and dd2 for all naps and all night. Dd1 still insists on her "quiet music" now at 3 years. It's no hassle, i use a white noise track that sounds like a dryer on repeat- it's on my phone, iPod touch, MP3 player and cd at mums. Now both girls are used to the same track so it makes it easier. I'm not bothered that dd1 still has it on at this age as we can take it anywhere and it was invaluable when sleep training dd2- dd1 never has heard her cry at night.
    It's on fairly loud to drown out movies etc.
    I've actually got addicted to it myself sleeping with dd2 so use it when I nap during the weekend to drown out the kids haha

Dh can't STAND it though

Eta I do worry about what would happen if dd1 still uses it when she's older and goes to camps etc, but I guess we will cross that bridge later
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-04-2016 at 15:01.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh we've had some pretty rowdy parties and dd1 sleeps right through it thanks to white noise. A godsend in my opinion.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just have a radio in DSs room and have it between stations, so it's just static. It runs all day, I don't even notice it!

I used calming music for DD and once she got to the age where she was consistently going to bed easily and sleeping through, we just stopped putting it on. That was probably around 2yo.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a baby sleep sounds cd in a clock/radio cd player set on repeat

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post: