+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What would u do diff next time?

Naigz post about colostrum expressing got me thinking, I'm not planning on another, but that's what I'd do next time, express colostrum and freeze in late preg. I did mention this to a friend who was preg after me this, she dismissed it but later said next time she would express colostrum and store too....So what's your do diff next time.....
    And the same? For me elective Caesar, odd champagne, ivf ( no kidding myself I wouldn't even try natural first) mixed feeding, private hospital, co sleep.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's exactly what I did second time around, I expressed from about 37 weeks as I found bf very tough at the start first time around. However second time it started off fine so I never used the colostrum and ended up throwing them away. Didn't bother me too much as it wasn't much hassle expressing so I guess it was better to have them in case. Although it made me think that had I needed some if baby wasn't feeding well I would have been able to just express in the hospital in between trying to feed baby.
    It's funny though how you think you will do things differently or the same next time but in reality things can often be outside of your control or they don't go as planned for whatever reason. For example I mixed fed ds1, weaned him at 6 months as that was what I wanted and after some sleep training he was sleeping though at 6 months. I imagined I would do the same with ds2. Well now he's 10 months, bf on demand (although I'm desperate to wean as he has cmpi so I'm having to be dairy and egg free which is a killer), he feeds 5-6 times a night and often spends half the night in my bed. Even after trying some sleep training. Never thought things would be so different second time but he's just so strong willed!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    if you express colostrum, would this not impact your supply? I thought bub sucking stimulated your boobs into producing more?

sorry to thread crash!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh so many things I'd do differently.. I wouldn't express colostrum. But I'd be a strict routine mamma for sure I was so 'go with the flow' with my ds and I still haven't had s full night of sleep in 23 months!! I'd also try to keep Bf longer than 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    if you express colostrum, would this not impact your supply? I thought bub sucking stimulated your boobs into producing more?

sorry to thread crash!
    No I don't think it changes your milk supply as you still continue to produce colostrum until after baby is born (prob will be someone on here who is a midwife or dr who can explain more!). It can potentially induce labour though so not recommended before 37 weeks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'll be expressing pre birth this time. I really want to bf this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    No I don't think it changes your milk supply as you still continue to produce colostrum until after baby is born (prob will be someone on here who is a midwife or dr who can explain more!). It can potentially induce labour though so not recommended before 37 weeks.
    ahhh yes I remember reading that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to express colostrum while pregnant this time, even got supply of little syringes etc. but no my boobies didn't want to play. Luckily my milk came in quickly though - day 2 this time, BFing sooooo much easier second time round.

What I did second time round - actually tried to enjoy pregnancy. Stressed less. Enjoyed my bump. Got professional bump photos. Meditated. Tried to bond with my baby before it was born. Then once baby was born do things my way and not listen to all the differing opinions from different midwives, enjoy every second of those first newborn cuddles, go with the flow - until things stopped 'working', lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't change a single thing with parenting but I would definitely attempt to avoid an induction if I could, and I would try to exercise more throughout this pregnancy. Last pregnancy I was such a sloth, mainly because of severe SPD - though I expect to get it again this time, but I will get physio & chiro to sort it out, unlike last time where I just tried to ignore the problem and did absolutely nothing to help myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think i would change anything next time. But perhaps find out what we were having (first two were surprises)
    With dd I struggled with breastfeeding for 4 months so for second bub I told all the nurses at hospital that I wanted bub straight on me and help getting him attached and the nurses where fantastic at helping me with this and ds was a champ at feeding unlike his sister.