+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    OMG my stupid deadbeat dad gave me adults trivial pursuit when I was 7 (the only present he ever gave me). I had asked for the children's version.

Oh, the tears!
    But maybe that's why you're so smart now. You should be thanking him 😄

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I can't get over how entitled people have become. Board games are an excellent gift. They can be played by the whole family, they can hold a child's interest for years. They can teach number sense, language skills, counting money, learning sportsmanship and taking turns to name just a few positives.

Put the game away for a year or two? I highly suspect your friends didn't buy the game out of spite or anything related to your gift. You put them on the spot, totally embarrassed and hurt them so they took a swipe back. I don't blame them.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (18-04-2016),Just*Ace  (18-04-2016),SuperGranny  (03-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What games are they? He could still "play" them maybe depending on what they are... Or wait til he's older. My 2 year old has some board games but doesn't know how to play properly but he still enjoys them in his own way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could post them to me. I'd appreciate board games as a gift.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (17-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Board games are great gifts. No biggy if it can't be used straight away..most kids get overloaded with presents anyway so kinda nice that its a present that can be pulled out down the track. That aside, if a "friend" spoke to me like that just after I had given their child a gift, that would be the last one they would receive from me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Unless it's the adults version of trivial pursuit I wouldn't see an issue?
    Omg how freaky, my DD1 just woke up, went to the cupboard and pointed to trivial pursuit and said can we play that today? She's never noticed it in the cupboard before.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-04-2016),harvs  (18-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    You have actually just given me a great idea! I LOOOOOVE board games myself and always said (jokingly) the only reason I had kids was to have someone to play board games with (DH isn't a fan).

Our parents keep buying the kids plastic junk (I've never questioned the type of toys they buy - only the excess, which I have only ever mentioned anything out of legitimate concerns over that - consumerism, what its teaching the kids etc) but now I can ask them to buy the kids board games. I don't mind having cupboards full of those as I know they and out entire family will have fun playing them! So thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why would anyone get a child a payback gift? Although I don't see the problem with board games, it's a great way to spend time with kids.
    And why in the world would you question a gift from anyone!?
    Anyway what I would do is- smile and say that you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never ask someone why they got a certain gift for my children, I find that rude! Quite possibly, your "friend" said it was a payback gift due to your rude question?

I'm with everyone else with board games being a great present. We all sat down yesterday (girls aged 4-9) and played monopoly and guess who. My kids loved it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Just*Ace  (18-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We love board games in our house (kids are 6, 4, 3 and 2). So much so that we are currently buying a camper so we can do trips and hubby asked if I wanted a telly installed in it for the kids and I said absolutely not. On the bad weather days, we can sit inside and play board games together as a family. They are great for bonding.

As I type this, my kids are playing one together.