+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Em, firstly, very sorry to hear you're going through this. It's an awful business. And secondly, I know exactly how you feel as I'm also currently experiencing my second missed miscarriage in a row. We are TTC #1, I'm 32, and terrified now that something might be causing this to occur. I honestly also assumed that after going through one, the second one would be ok. My obstetrician thought it would be cruel to have me possibly experience a third loss when they can do the testing now - you can ask to have it, it's not uncommon for them to do it these days after 2 in a row. I'm told that my hcg has to drop the zero first, otherwise the preg hormones can interfere with the results. They test hormone levels, blood clotting antibodies, and for chromosomal issues, namely balanced and unbalanced translocation. Ob said chances are it's none of these and has just been bad luck, but if it is, there are things they can do. Perhaps it's worth asking for the blood tests too? It could bring peace of mind, or provide answers and save further unnecessary grief. It's such a sad and difficult thing to go through, I hope you are holding up ok. X

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nik199 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (29-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh also forgot to say, my ob said its fine (if tests look normal) to start trying straight away after my first period. No need to wait months, but equally, he was pretty clear that trying before the first period isn't highly recommended. Although I hear plenty of stories about that working out ok. Best to you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik199 View Post
    Hi Em, firstly, very sorry to hear you're going through this. It's an awful business. And secondly, I know exactly how you feel as I'm also currently experiencing my second missed miscarriage in a row. We are TTC #1, I'm 32, and terrified now that something might be causing this to occur. I honestly also assumed that after going through one, the second one would be ok. My obstetrician thought it would be cruel to have me possibly experience a third loss when they can do the testing now - you can ask to have it, it's not uncommon for them to do it these days after 2 in a row. I'm told that my hcg has to drop the zero first, otherwise the preg hormones can interfere with the results. They test hormone levels, blood clotting antibodies, and for chromosomal issues, namely balanced and unbalanced translocation. Ob said chances are it's none of these and has just been bad luck, but if it is, there are things they can do. Perhaps it's worth asking for the blood tests too? It could bring peace of mind, or provide answers and save further unnecessary grief. It's such a sad and difficult thing to go through, I hope you are holding up ok. X
    So Rory to hear of your losses 😢. It bloody sucks! I ended up seeing my obstetrician. She checked me out and just said the usual, need to wait for 3 losses to test. She said it wasn't paid for by Medicare before 3. Money wouldn't be an issue for something like this for me, but I trust her and if I needed them now then she would say so.
    I am so incredibly lucky that I have a DS. My OB said that this changes things as well as she knows I can have a baby.
    OB checked my uterus etc. she originally said to ttc straight away if I want but there was still some lining from the pregnancy present so said to wait a cycle because it would come out then. I did express I wanted to try straight away and she said if it happens it happens, if the lining isn't back to normal the egg won't implant.
    Anyway, she also gave me a blood test form for HCG and progesterone to get as soon as I find out I'm pregnant again. I have not had progesterone tested so she said that could be a cause, or again ugh could just be coincidence that I've had 2.
    I hope we both fall pregnant again easily and are able to hold on to the next ones.
    I don't know how I'll go having a 3rd miscarriage, I have been ok with the last 2 but a third would hit home. Only positive being that testing will happen. 😖

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like your ob has given you good advice, and it's wonderful you have a DS and the comfort of knowing you can carry to term. I guess that's my fear, that maybe I can't! I see my ob tmrw for a scan to check I've passed everything 😔 Then I guess I'll have to wait til I ovulate before getting these tests done. Waiting is the hardest, it took 6 weeks after my last mc to ov, then another couple to get my first period. My DH and I didn't try again for a while, as we had a move to Sydney from WA to deal with. I just assumed when we were ready again it would turn out ok. Sigh! I too hope we both get pregnant quickly after this and carry healthy bubs to full term! Keep me posted, wishing you all the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik199 View Post
    Sounds like your ob has given you good advice, and it's wonderful you have a DS and the comfort of knowing you can carry to term. I guess that's my fear, that maybe I can't! I see my ob tmrw for a scan to check I've passed everything 😔 Then I guess I'll have to wait til I ovulate before getting these tests done. Waiting is the hardest, it took 6 weeks after my last mc to ov, then another couple to get my first period. My DH and I didn't try again for a while, as we had a move to Sydney from WA to deal with. I just assumed when we were ready again it would turn out ok. Sigh! I too hope we both get pregnant quickly after this and carry healthy bubs to full term! Keep me posted, wishing you all the best.
    Oh I, hearing you on the waiting, it's the worst.. Wait to find out you're pregnant, wait for the12 week mark, wait for blood to see if bleeding is bad, wait for miscarriage to be over, wait to ovulate again. It's so hard and I find myself thinking about it a lot which drives me insane.
    I stopped bleeding last Wednesday but on Friday had another bleed and a bit of brown over the weekend. I've had a bit of a dull pain in my pelvis today so rang the OB office to check if was ok. The nurse said she'd check and ring me back so will be interesting to see what she says.
    I hope you ovulate soon (what a strange thing to say to someone lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry for your losses op. Just wanted to say I had 3 consecutive losses - sucked big time. Then had my ds2. We (DH and I) after various medical conversations believe they were each for different reasons. Lots of baby dust and sticky ones xxoo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Em9, Couldn't read and not respond. So sorry for your losses.
    I have had 4 mc's (1 early 2013, then a healthy pregnancy which resulted in DS, then 3 more mc's last year - April, July and November (they all ended under very similar circumstances and all around the same gestation (5 weeks)). went to ob, had testing done and turns out I have insulin resistance which greatly increases the chance of miscarriage. Still not sure if this is our answer but we are going to try again next month and see what happens.
    I know how it feels to potentially say "a third miscarriage might just kill me" which is definitely how I felt after my 2nd last year, but to be honest (and this may sound a little heartless) I was numb by the third time and it was possibly the easiest one I've dealt with... or not dealt with. I was expecting it and so when it happened I was more concerned about how long I'd have to put up with the bleeding than the fact I'd lost another pregnancy.
    Like you, I fall pregnant very easily so hopefully will again in June.

My advice is to try again soon. I fell immediately after my first mc which resulted in a perfectly healthy baby (now 2). And if you are going to mc again, best to get it out of the way so you can investigate (once again, sorry if that sounds a little heartless). Hoping that your journey is a quick one and you get your rainbow baby soon! feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDL View Post
    Hi Em9, Couldn't read and not respond. So sorry for your losses.
    I have had 4 mc's (1 early 2013, then a healthy pregnancy which resulted in DS, then 3 more mc's last year - April, July and November (they all ended under very similar circumstances and all around the same gestation (5 weeks)). went to ob, had testing done and turns out I have insulin resistance which greatly increases the chance of miscarriage. Still not sure if this is our answer but we are going to try again next month and see what happens.
    I know how it feels to potentially say "a third miscarriage might just kill me" which is definitely how I felt after my 2nd last year, but to be honest (and this may sound a little heartless) I was numb by the third time and it was possibly the easiest one I've dealt with... or not dealt with. I was expecting it and so when it happened I was more concerned about how long I'd have to put up with the bleeding than the fact I'd lost another pregnancy.
    Like you, I fall pregnant very easily so hopefully will again in June.

My advice is to try again soon. I fell immediately after my first mc which resulted in a perfectly healthy baby (now 2). And if you are going to mc again, best to get it out of the way so you can investigate (once again, sorry if that sounds a little heartless). Hoping that your journey is a quick one and you get your rainbow baby soon! feel free to PM me if you have any questions
    Mrs DL thank you so much for your reply! It's like you are inside my head lol I think exactly what you have just said (as heartless as it may sound).

I had some random bleeding over the weekend and rang the OB yesterday. Heard back from them today and she said she wasn't surprised that I had as there was still lining to come out when I had an ultrasound with her. When I saw her she said to wait one cycle for that stuff to come out but now it's out I think I'll just ttc straight away again.

Thank you again for your reply, it's good to reaffirm my thoughts. I wish you all the luck and hopefully we will both have our second babies soon!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Em9 For This Useful Post:

MrsDL  (06-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another bump in the road.. I've been randomly bleeding on and off so have ended up needing a d&c on Friday. I'm glad that I will know where my cycles are up to and will 'start fresh' but I'm still anxious about it. I have my fingers crossed tightly that I can ttc straight after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Em, just wondering how you're getting on? Did you require the d&C in the end? I hope things have settled for you. I'm a week since the bleeding finally stopped and think my body might be gearing up to ovulate although it's impossible to tell at this stage and OPKs have never worked for me. I just go by CM. A part of me is tempted to try again right away even though we've been offered testing now after two mcs. It's so confusing to know what to do!