+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Single Umbilical Artery and expressing

Good morning ladies. I am currently 33+5 and my LO has an isolated SUA and his growth has dropped from 20%ile to 10%ile. I have a follow up scan in two weeks to see if we will have to deliver early.

I also have funnelling and a shortened cervix length of 1.2cm and got my second Betamethasone inj last night as a precaution.

I am wondering if and when I could start expressing keeping in mind that I don't want to induce labour early with my short cervix. I want to make sure I have something on hand to fatten him up incase my milk doesn't come in right away should he need to come early.

Also, is it normal to feel aching/minor discomfort high in the vgina or could this be an indication of further shortening/dilation. I see my Ob tomorrow morning and I am also hoping to speak to his mw about these concerns.

Tia.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 17-04-2016 at 09:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure about the expressing part as I didn't try but my DD had SUA and had weekly scans from 28 weeks. I chose not to induce early as her weight was tracking ok. Ended up at 41weeks and 4kg/95th percentile so well over the 30th they'd predicted.

A lot is unknown but you can only do what you think is best at the time.
    Hope all goes well x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (17-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Expressing I would wait until 36 weeks. That way if it does kick anything off its not as big a deal. Depending on your obstetrician will depend on how much info they can give you/if they even recommend it (some seem to be very anti antenatal expressing)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (17-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    Not sure about the expressing part as I didn't try but my DD had SUA and had weekly scans from 28 weeks. I chose not to induce early as her weight was tracking ok. Ended up at 41weeks and 4kg/95th percentile so well over the 30th they'd predicted.

A lot is unknown but you can only do what you think is best at the time.
    Hope all goes well x
    Thank you for your reply. If his growth continued at the same rate I was happy to go with the flow as I myself am petite and figured that it could just be genetic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Expressing I would wait until 36 weeks. That way if it does kick anything off its not as big a deal. Depending on your obstetrician will depend on how much info they can give you/if they even recommend it (some seem to be very anti antenatal expressing)
    I was hoping you would respond ; -)

At this stage, I will wait until I get the results of my next scan before I start. With the cervix, Ob is happy for anything over 36w now that I've had the inj.

If he is indeed little, is it likely that he may need a short stay in SCN?

Ob is very accommodating and happy for me to anything that doesn't put myself or bub at risk.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 17-04-2016 at 10:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    I was hoping you would respond ; -)

At this stage, I will wait until I get the results of my next scan before I start. With the cervix, Ob is happy for anything over 36w now that I've had the inj.

If he is indeed little, is it likely that he may need a short stay in SCN?

Ob is very accommodating and halt for me to anything that doesn't put myself or bub at risk.
    Haha. It will depend on his size and gestation. I would hazard a guess that anything over 37 weeks he would come up to the ward (unless other issues present themselves at delivery), 36 weeks could go either way, under 36 definitely SCN. Main concerns would be his ability to maintain blood sugars. If he's under the 10th centile for growth then he will need blood glucose monitoring. If he can't maintain his sugars he'll go to SCN for a glucose drip. If his sugars are stable he will stay with you. Have they spoken to you about induction? My thoughts are that unless the SUA is compromising his growth to a point where they're concerned about him, they will recommend induction, but if he's otherwise ok then it would be fine to continue until spontaneous labour. Feel free to PM me at any point

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (17-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm already booked for a repeat caeser at 39 weeks so I assume it would just be brought forward (Ob advised early on that depending on growth it may be between 37/38 weeks). It's so hard because the scans are always just an estimate so you just never know. Just a waiting game I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ah fair point. Hopefully all will be ok and you can make it you your CS date with no issues. If your ob is happy for expressing from 36wks then he's obviously expecting things will be ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh well better get some 1ml syringes to store! I assume u can get at work ? If not pm me I'm local to u I think, u went to springwood didn't u for ivf?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thank you for the offer @Lisau77 but yes I can grab some from work. Yes I went through TFC.