+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    That would such a dream for most of us yet practically impossible. My two are at school and I still can't manage full time work. DH leaves at 6.30am and doesn't walk back in the door till 6pm. I am 100% responsible for all child related school requirements, sporting activities, medical requirements. How on earth can I hold down a full time job when school finishes at 3.30 and still provide my kids with all of the above.

I'd love not to work part time in a job I really dislike (5 days, 30hrs a week) and instead re-find myself and my career but the detrimental affect on my kids of being in before and after care and trying to cram all activities in late at night or weekends is just impractical.

To add insult to injury when I tried to go full time an every so lovely recruitment agent told me I was a liability to companies for having kids.
    Why is it your career that has to suffer though? Your husband works long hours, so it's up to you to pick up the slack? I realise there might be practical reasons for this but I'm just playing devils advocate. Hubby could cut down on his work hours and take responsibility for some after school activities. Kids could go to after school care. They don't need after school sport. Take leave for medical appointments or make up the time on another day. Again, devils advocate - I'm just suggesting that it isn't impossible for you to work closer to full time hours and progress your career.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (17-04-2016),Lil Smurfy  (16-04-2016),VicPark  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post

To add insult to injury when I tried to go full time an every so lovely recruitment agent told me I was a liability to companies for having kids.
    See!! That's horrendous!! Makes me so angry..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    In my experience, it's not the end of my career, but it has definitely left me at a standstill while my kids aren't both at school yet. My great reputation in my current workplace, my passion for my job and track record of good work and good ideas I'm always bringing to the table now, stand for absolutely diddly squat as I only want to work 3 days a week and apparently I can't perform a higher level role on only 3 days.

Unfortunately current attitudes are that businesses seem to only be able to survive with mid to high level staff working 5 days a week and this attitude needs to change. Overall unemployment would be so much lower if businesses were hiring more part time and job share staff. How this change will start and evolve, I'm not so sure, but it needs to change.
    Exactly.. It's not like we're taking a holiday. We're raising the next generation.. Doesn't that count for anything?!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Brain  (26-04-2016),Freyamum  (18-04-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (16-04-2016),KiWolf  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Exactly.. It's not like we're taking a holiday. We're raising the next generation.. Doesn't that count for anything?!
    No, right now it doesn't.

And the saddest thing is that the majority of discrimination against working mothers is undertaken by other women. We are often our own worst enemies.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Happy Camper For This Useful Post:

Brain  (26-04-2016),Janesmum123  (17-04-2016),KiWolf  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    This is so sad and something I'm struggling with too with a 9 month old DD.
    I am back working 1.5 days a week I am lucky that my current work is very flexible but my contract runs out in feb so then I'll be going back to my old old job I've been on leave from for 2 years (a secure government job I took extended leave from).
    I plan to work 2 days a week in my government job til DD is 2-3 then 3 days til she starts school. Then I hope to do school hours 5 days a week for a couple of years so I'm not looking at full time hours for a good 7 years I think. I wouldn't say my career is over but it's certainly on a totally grinding halt and I'll be stuck even though it's boring as bat sh!t just for the conditions and $. In the meantime I'm doing a masters part-time to pick up a new qualification.
    I think it depends on your field and whether you are private/government and whether you're management. The higher up you are the harder it is. I am as high as I can go for now there's no way I could get a higher role in my field part time. But I'm ok with it I've made peace with things the past few years as even before DD I made a career move to favour lifestyle over ambition for a while. As DD will be our only child I want to limit her child care to 2-3 days a week til she goes to school.
    You sound a lot more organised and pragmatic about it than I am.. I had no idea mums struggled with this..
    I think I'll probably end up studying and volunteering in my field to keep some kind of relevance..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Why is it your career that has to suffer though? Your husband works long hours, so it's up to you to pick up the slack? I realise there might be practical reasons for this but I'm just playing devils advocate. Hubby could cut down on his work hours and take responsibility for some after school activities. Kids could go to after school care. They don't need after school sport. Take leave for medical appointments or make up the time on another day. Again, devils advocate - I'm just suggesting that it isn't impossible for you to work closer to full time hours and progress your career.
    I suppose I didn't have a career per say, I had a job but it wasn't the be all and end all. He is the main earner, his job sends him to different sites and whilst he does his best to get home early if he can it can't be relied upon. He also is required to work Saturdays.

My kids do need sports and I won't discourage them from it. My son does martial arts and it's not a once a week activity if you actually want to progress, he loves it and I couldn't take that away from him after all these years. At 9 and 6 mine need sports.

I spent nearly 2yrs searching for a full time roll and gave up and stayed in my current part time.

Why play devils advocate with me when my situation is no different to many other posters in here?
    Last edited by ICanDream; 16-04-2016 at 21:55.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (17-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
    No, right now it doesn't.

And the saddest thing is that the majority of discrimination against working mothers is undertaken by other women. We are often our own worst enemies.
    I'm ashamed to say I may have been one of those women. I was younger and childless and only saw someone who wasn't 100% committed. I guess this is my pay back. If and when I ever get back into work I'll always advocate for hiring mums!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (17-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    You sound a lot more organised and pragmatic about it than I am.. I had no idea mums struggled with this..
    I think I'll probably end up studying and volunteering in my field to keep some kind of relevance..

Can I ask what work you do? What are your transferable skills? Just wondering if we might be able to give you some creative tips for things you could do for work. Is temping an option?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Can I ask what work you do? What are your transferable skills? Just wondering if we might be able to give you some creative tips for things you could do for work. Is temping an option?
    Hmm. Without giving too much away.. I work in the non profit sector. I worked hard to get there and it was a career move id always wanted to make. I'm passionate about it and wouldn't be able to leave the sector for that reason.

I wouldn't put DD in CC to temp. It's not about the money. I was part of something bigger for the greater good and I miss it.
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 16-04-2016 at 21:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me i was made redundant and then fell pregnant the following month. Ds is now 2 and I still can't get a job (full or part time) unfortunately having kids had really hampered my job prospects.
    I am now either over qualified, too old or not willing/able to work pretty much 7 days a week.
    I now am studying to go into a different area of work but I also have the prospect of having difficulty getting a job in this area as I live in a smaller town