+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Hi @Cue. How's the new job going??
    It's going well - still pretty much just doing training, there's a lot to learn but I think it's going to be really good, and it's great experience for future opportunities. The only thing I'm struggling with is the commute, I'm out the door before 7am and home between 6:30-7pm. I didn't see my 1yo son for almost 3 days straight last week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    It's going well - still pretty much just doing training, there's a lot to learn but I think it's going to be really good, and it's great experience for future opportunities. The only thing I'm struggling with is the commute, I'm out the door before 7am and home between 6:30-7pm. I didn't see my 1yo son for almost 3 days straight last week
    Oh wow.. That sounds harsh.. I'm not looking forward to missing my little girl..I'm trying to soak up all the cuddles and cosleeping I can while I'm still off..You must be exhausted from all the travel.. At least the job sounds like a positive opportunity with it. Best of luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am really late to this thread, but it's been a while and I really identified with being effectively discriminated against for having a child and/or being pregnant.

It's got to the point where I started my own business with about $10 to my name and have done alright. We are currently branching out to more areas.

I utilised my anger from all of those "failed" phone interviews post child(where I was honest about children, but expected no concessions), towards having a successful business. Nothing like a giant FU for motivation
    Last edited by Nomia; 07-06-2016 at 05:17.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (11-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomia View Post
    I am really late to this thread, but it's been a while and I really identified with being effectively discriminated against for having a child and/or being pregnant.

It's got to the point where I started my own business with about $10 to my name and have done alright. We are currently branching out to more areas.

I utilised my anger from all of those "failed" phone interviews post child(where I was honest about children, but expected no concessions), towards having a successful business. Nothing like a giant FU for motivation
    Haha! Brilliant! Good on you! 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been reading along with this thread but not commented until now. It really was a reality check for me. I have been on 2 years maternity leave with my 2nd and last baby. I was seriously considering not going back to my 'career' and instead retraining for an easier and more flexible 'job'. This thread however really got me thinking about the impact of my years part time and off work on my career progression. It inspired me to give it another go and look for a job that I love that gives me the career progression that I have been grieving over the last few years since having my kids.
    Good news is that I have since found a full time(!) job that is flexible and very suited to my skills. Great opportunities available and I am feeling valued again which is a great change. I certainly wasn't intending to work full time, especially now with a 1yo, but it was too good an opportunity to pass it up.
    Fingers crossed it all works out but I feel confident that my career isn't 'ruined' by my choice to take time off to have children. Having said that, I have a very supportive partner who us happy to reduce his working hours if needed to give me the chance to reinvigorate my career which is the best thing for our family's future. I got frightened that if I gave it up now or let it go, my earning potential would reduce significantly and our family's finances would be affected long term.
    Hopefully either one day I can go part time again or I'll love it so much I'll be happy to continue full time - with possibly DH working part time.