+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    See when I return to work, this will be me. I want to work to live, not live to work. I want low stress, if that means less money and more time with my family then I'm happy.
    I believe you can have it all.

I have a career and it doesn't mean that I live to work nor that I'm stressed out.
    If your company offers a good work life balance then you can go up the ladder while still having time for your friends and family

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Full House  (27-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I believe you can have it all.

I have a career and it doesn't mean that I live to work nor that I'm stressed out.
    If your company offers a good work life balance then you can go up the ladder while still having time for your friends and family
    Same here. Although I'm working full-time now, my current role was created for me because the company wanted me to progress but I wanted to stay in the same department. I have flexibility in that there are no issues if my daughter is sick and need to take a day off or need to work from home every now and then or to start and finish early / late. I don't do ridiculous hours, pretty much 8:30-5 though if I have a lot on I'll sometimes start at 7:30 but it doesn't go unnoticed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi OP, sorry haven't read all the replies but wanted to let you know that I know exactly where you're coming from.

I would say that your career is not ruined when you have a baby but your progression is definitely delayed. When you're part time or not able to stay late or travel at the drop of a hat then you miss out on opportunities, projects, important decisions, training courses, conferences, etc. It's gut wrenching when you've put so much effort into building your career this far, before you had kids. Also I found that you are often doing a full time job in part time hours so you're working like a maniac and you have to make sure that every single deadline is met and every single call answered because you don't want to give anyone an excuse to say that you don't get your job done because you're part time. Pressure is massive.

I have only just gone back to full time (DD is now 9) after being part time for 8 years (in two different jobs). What got me thru the part time years of wondering if my career was wrecked was telling myself "DD is my most important job right now, there'll be plenty of time to build my career again later when she's older and more self-sufficient and I can work more days / longer hours." I was also lucky that I had reasonable bosses and when I'd worked my butt off for a couple of years and they saw that I did add value and was reliable, and willing to be available by phone or email in emergencies even after I'd left for the day at 3pm, they brought me into the conversation a lot more and gave me great opportunities even though I was only part time. I now have a fantastic new job that I got based on all the experiences and opportunities I had in my previous jobs, even though the last two roles I was part time.

Hang in there, your career is not ruined, it's just on hold for a bit.
    Last edited by aquarius; 24-04-2016 at 00:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One thing i am grateful for now, after my baby making days are over, is that i didnt resign or step out of the work force, and lucky i wasnt made redundant either, which would be tough. I just took mat leave each time then went back. It was tough!!! So many hard days, especially juggling 2 toddlers and work, sometimes with a husband deployed overseas, but i am glad for the benefits now, but i have been in my job 18 years now ( since i finished uni at 23) and that counts for something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    In the interview they told me that pretty much everyone in the office has kids so they all get it. It really does sound like a great job, fingers crossed! I have a phone interview with one of the other senior managers on Friday, hopefully that goes well!
    So just an update on my part-time job search - I got offered the job!! I'll get the paperwork in the next few days but they made a verbal offer today! Hopefully it goes well and I don't totally screw it up... My confidence is a bit shaky and I'm a bit worried about how I'll go, but fingers crossed!

7. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-04-2016),amiracle4me  (27-04-2016),amyd  (26-04-2016),babyno1onboard  (26-04-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (29-04-2016),Elijahs Mum  (26-04-2016),ExcuseMyFrench  (26-04-2016),Freyamum  (27-04-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (27-04-2016),Happy Camper  (27-04-2016),harvs  (26-04-2016),ilex  (26-04-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (26-04-2016),Little Ted  (26-04-2016),littleriv  (26-04-2016),Ngaiz  (26-04-2016),NoteToSelf  (26-04-2016),Olive Oil  (26-04-2016),VicPark  (27-04-2016),Wise Enough  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So just an update on my part-time job search - I got offered the job!! I'll get the paperwork in the next few days but they made a verbal offer today! Hopefully it goes well and I don't totally screw it up... My confidence is a bit shaky and I'm a bit worried about how I'll go, but fingers crossed!
    Yay!!! Congratulations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats Cue. Brilliant.,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well then. That certainly was a depressing read before bed. What can I say. Bleak, bleak picture.

I don't even have a career. I'll have to build one from scratch, and, well, I don't have a partner or family to fall back on. And I have 3 kids.

Go me.
    Last edited by Brain; 26-04-2016 at 23:07. Reason: it's late, I can't write or spell

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Congrats!!! How exciting, Im sure you'll do well!