+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    An article about a male dominated business who turned to women for help with huge success! http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...profit/7310450
    They still haven't actually changed their workplace culture. They haven't appointed any of these women upper management or board positions - maybe they could job-share with their husbands?

It seems a bit like token-diversity to me. They're going to make squillions from hiring a part-time, short term female think tank (probably on "pocket money" wages).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I could have written this! I'm just not interested in a career anymore. I can always make money doing anything, I can never get that time back with my kids. My mum worked when I was young and missed all my school events and lots of milestones. That is absolutely not a slight against working mums, you all do a fabulous job so please don't feel you need to defend yourself. I'm only speaking for me. I feel so lucky and so happy to be home for an extended period. I went from very career minded to really not interested at all.
    My bold- my mum worked full time when I was young, and never missed a single event. My friends' parents (all 5sets!) were SAHPs and only went to one every now and then.
    And my mum had other kids!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This thread is what I need today so I don't feel so alone. We had DS1 in tears at breakfast because no one could come to his first school sports.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Lawyers aren't unionised. Never will be.

But. Lawyers at large firms work within extremely pressured environments and charge clients a fortune. Lawyers also get paid extremely well. At my peak I earned more than a senior surgeon at a public hospital, so it's a bit hard for me to feel a massive amount of sympathy for lawyers like me.
    I think that this comment can get misconstrued, Sonja. You've said 'lawyers also get paid extremely well'. This is a common misconception. Maybe that's the case in top tier and even some mid tier firms, or lawyers working in corporate fields. But as an 8 year out lawyer I was earning $90,000 package per year full time and although I'm not complaining, I wouldn't call it extremely well paid considering the hours I was putting in and the size of my hecs debt. Most of the people I know in small firms are on similar incomes.

In fact, the real pay rises in such places seem to be offered around the time most people decide to have kids, meaning you put in the hard years and then have to choose. That what I think sucks about this industry.

I personally think if all parties are motivated and willing to be flexible when needed, most jobs can work as a job share.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read the thread but my experience... I have had 3 children whilst working in the same position in health and my line manager and team have been nothing but accommodating. During the past 6 years of having had my babies I was able to return to work with reduced hours as I requested, I was able to also work from home for a period of time, I was also able to choose my hours being school hours.
    My workplace have been awesome.
    I have also gone to all my childrens sports events, haven't missed anything.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 22-04-2016 at 16:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    I think that this comment can get misconstrued, Sonja. You've said 'lawyers also get paid extremely well'. This is a common misconception. Maybe that's the case in top tier and even some mid tier firms, or lawyers working in corporate fields. But as an 8 year out lawyer I was earning $90,000 package per year full time and although I'm not complaining, I wouldn't call it extremely well paid considering the hours I was putting in and the size of my hecs debt. Most of the people I know in small firms are on similar incomes.

In fact, the real pay rises in such places seem to be offered around the time most people decide to have kids, meaning you put in the hard years and then have to choose. That what I think sucks about this industry.

I personally think if all parties are motivated and willing to be flexible when needed, most jobs can work as a job share.
    My comments were referring to large law firms (hence my first sentence). By 8 years out I was on over $150k. By the time I had kids I was on over $250k. Pretty decent wage for someone without kids.

I agree the job can be done part time. I did it part time for a very long time. But the quality of the work did die off after I returned from my second maternity leave as I became more I invisible as a part time working mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Haven't read the thread but my experience... I have had 3 children whilst working in the same position in health and my line manager and team have been nothing but accommodating. During the past 6 years of having had my babies I was able to return to work with reduced hours as I requested, I was able to also work from home for a period of time, I was also able to choose my hours being school hours.
    My workplace have been awesome.
    I have also gone to all my childrens sports events, haven't missed anything.
    Out of curiosity, would you consider this a "job" (eg. Returning to and flexibility at the same level you were at pre-kids) or a career (ongoing advancement opportunities, opportunity for professional learning etc)?

Personally I've seen a bit of difference between the two. Many women seem to have a "job" to come back to that they can do part time, but the whole "career" part seems to get cut off for them.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (23-04-2016),Gentoo  (23-04-2016),Ngaiz  (23-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Out of curiosity, would you consider this a "job" (eg. Returning to and flexibility at the same level you were at pre-kids) or a career (ongoing advancement opportunities, opportunity for professional learning etc)?

Personally I've seen a bit of difference between the two. Many women seem to have a "job" to come back to that they can do part time, but the whole "career" part seems to get cut off for them.
    I think this was basically my point a few pages back. I would definitely consider my position a job. whereas dh has more of a career.

I'm happy to plod and be remunerated to do so, as I value flexibility and low stress more important than earning big bucks and advancing in my chosen field.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I think this was basically my point a few pages back. I would definitely consider my position a job. whereas dh has more of a career.

I'm happy to plod and be remunerated to do so, as I value flexibility and low stress more important than earning big bucks and advancing in my chosen field.
    See when I return to work, this will be me. I want to work to live, not live to work. I want low stress, if that means less money and more time with my family then I'm happy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (23-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    See when I return to work, this will be me. I want to work to live, not live to work. I want low stress, if that means less money and more time with my family then I'm happy.
    Me too.