+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Honestly the female partners where I came from were sadly worse than some of the men.
    Were they childless?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm also in a client facing environment, and sometime it's the client who isn't willing to flex. If they are paying a huge daily / hourly rate, they want someone who is available to them when they need them - full stop.

Clients with whom you have a pre existing relationship may be more flexible, but not if you're new.

It's tough.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (20-04-2016),Gentoo  (22-04-2016),Meitis  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Were they childless?
    No. The prevailing attitude from many women is "I had to do it the hard way and so can you". One had had twins and was back full time when they were 4 weeks old.

This was over 10 years ago so it's hopefully different now. Back then men could proudly talk about their kids but female partners almost hid that they had kids because the next question was "who is looking after them".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My career definitely came to a bit of a stand still after DD2 was born. I found I could advance up the ladder with 1 child (I could work full time with 1), but returning from mat leave with 2 kids was hell. They weren't flexible with part time hours, and because of the environment I worked in, I couldn't fight it as people were losing their jobs left right and centre.
    We went through about a month of both kids being sick all the time and even juggling the time off with my husband, it caused a lot of issues for me at work. Not just from management, but co workers too.

A promotion opportunity came up which I applied for and it was discussed in the room of the panel (I have a close friend within the group) that I have kids. Which I find pretty crap but what can you do. I can see if from their side, sure I may be perfect for the role as far as experience goes, but if they need someone pretty much on call I can't commit to that. So I feel I'm kind of stuck in the same type of roll until both kids are in full time school and a little more independent. I wish it could be challenged more but I think a lot of people are mindful of the market at the moment so no one wants to cause any waves.

I have also seen a lot of redundancies lately and funnily enough, all women with kids.... a lot while on mat leave and their position is "no longer required". Yet someone still occupies that position, it just coincidentally has a new name now with slightly different (VERY slight) responsibilities

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Exactly what we have all been talking about!

http://m.dailylife.com.au/life-and-l...11-go3m32.html
    Great article. It drives me batty this attitude towards mothers who take any time out of the workforce. And it's not just employers or the govt using this to get more women back to work full time asap after birth but we've all bought into it to such an extent that we undervalue ourselves and other mums. I've given up trying to chat to a good friend about my frustrations about lack of part time work opportunities. Despite having 2 degrees she suggests things like working in a cafe - something that to me sounds too like serving my own family and moreover I've zero experience in. Realising that's what my good friend thought I should be aiming for is what's opened my eyes to the reality I face. And because so many mothers know this and race back to work just to keep in the game it's self fulfilling. I've nothing against mothers returning to work quickly if that's what they want or their family needs but I think there's a proportion who barely make any money after childcare and would take more "time off" (great holidays this is) if it wasn't career suicide

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    IMO we will only get equality between working parents if we all have the same entitlements in terms of parental/maternity leave. Then an employer wouldn’t think twice about whether to employ a female or male since both gender bear the “risk” of being absent. In turn this should help with fair salaries and no gender gap.

And what can we do, in our daily lives, to change society? I believe we need to walk the talk. Get our partners to be as present in our kids’ lives as we are. Get both parents to be working equally at home. We are all raising the next generation of managers/directors/business owners etc.

But they are good companies out there. Great companies actually.

I know one that just gave a second 14 wks fully paid maternity leave entitlement to an employee who has been away from the business for the last 18 months. She went on mat leave, planning to return after a year then she got pregnant again. Given that she was on unpaid leave, said company didn’t have to pay another lot of maternity leave but they did.

I know another who lets you work 75% of your agreed hours for the first month following your return to work while paying you 100%. Also pays 6 months full salary to the primary carer and 3 months to the secondary carer.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (20-04-2016),AdornedWithCats  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

Welcome back @Anjalee!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Welcome back @Anjalee!
    Thanks!! Had a break for a while but got pulled back in

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    3 a year in NSW
    Thanks @BigRedV, I knew it was something like that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

An article about a male dominated business who turned to women for help with huge success! http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...profit/7310450

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-04-2016)