+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This thread is depressing! I was a lawyer before going on mat leave and unfortunately my son was injured and needed surgery when I was due to return to work. I asked for an extension of my maternity leave which was denied so I had to resign because I was NOT going to just leave my son at that time. I realised then that lawyer is not a family friendly career. I don't want to work somewhere where they expect me to prioritise my work over my own child - that's disgusting. My child will always come first for me. I also realised that I couldn't put my child into daycare full time (no judgement to those who do but it's just not for me). I want to be there to drop my son of at school everyday and pick him up, help him with his homework, take him to extra curriculars, attend every concert, sports day and fair or whatever.

So I'm retraining to be a mediator and will work for myself. That way I can make my own hours, work when I want to work, take time off when I want to take time off and not have to explain myself to anybody. And it's still a well regarded position so it's not as bad as taking a junior position like legal secretary or paralegal for better flexibility. If I wanted to work as a registrar, tribunal member or magistrate for example having been a lawyer and a mediator would be a good mix of experience. Or so I'm told.

The flip side is of course I will not make as much money and it will be inconsistent. I'm lucky that DH earns well so we can live. But I can't wait to start working because any extra money will be really great right now!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm always amazed at the differences in leave entitlements and requirements for certificates. Every firm I've worked at we get 10 days personal leave (which accrues). Certificate is required if you have 2 days (doesn't have to be consecutive just within the same work week) OR your sick on a Monday/Friday/day before or after a public holiday, day before or after annual leave.

Then 4 weeks annual leave and public holidays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I'm always amazed at the differences in leave entitlements and requirements for certificates. Every firm I've worked at we get 10 days personal leave (which accrues). Certificate is required if you have 2 days (doesn't have to be consecutive just within the same work week) OR your sick on a Monday/Friday/day before or after a public holiday, day before or after annual leave.

Then 4 weeks annual leave and public holidays.
    I'm amazed too, especially when comparing with public school teachers in other states. Then when I hear about private school teachers' leave I can't believe how rigid some of it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Exactly even within the same industry! So even if you do your research on job/profession conditions there are no guarantees.

It just doesn't seem right that some people are so much better off because they work for a certain employer versus another within the same industry. Let alone the differences across industries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Exactly even within the same industry! So even if you do your research on job/profession conditions there are no guarantees.

It just doesn't seem right that some people are so much better off because they work for a certain employer versus another within the same industry. Let alone the differences across industries.
    I can only speak for NSW but we have a very strong union here. Also, NSW is the only state in Australia that has a staffing agreement/award in public schools that is negotiated together with and signed by the teachers' federation (the NSW teachers' union) and the department of education.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I can only speak for NSW but we have a very strong union here. Also, NSW is the only state in Australia that has a staffing agreement/award in public schools that is negotiated together with and signed by the teachers' federation (the NSW teachers' union) and the department of education.
    I'm pretty sure this happens in SA as well? There is about a two year mediation process for each new award. The last one went to court. I am very grateful for the strength of all of our education unions. They do an amazing job. It's such a pity that the media focus on pay and ignore the other conditions our unions protect.

Anyway, way off topic. Sorry OP :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Exactly what we have all been talking about!

http://m.dailylife.com.au/life-and-l...11-go3m32.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Lawyers aren't unionised. Never will be.

My views on this change all the time. My DH is a partner in an international law firm and is one of the most successful. His team is largely female part time senior lawyers. He's made is work successfully as he saw what went wrong for me in my career and has tried to make it better.

It makes sense for him as he spends a lot of time training his lawyers so he finds it painful having to start again whenever someone goes on maternity leave. He doesn't want to lose them permanently.

But. Lawyers at large firms work within extremely pressured environments and charge clients a fortune. Lawyers also get paid extremely well. At my peak I earned more than a senior surgeon at a public hospital, so it's a bit hard for me to feel a massive amount of sympathy for lawyers like me.

I think all employers of professionals could think outside the box and find ways to make it work for people who want to be part time, but many of these environments have extremely high burn out rates anyway not returning was like a breath of fresh air.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (20-04-2016),turquoisecoast  (20-04-2016),WaitRose  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

I think all employers of professionals could think outside the box and find ways to make it work for people who want to be part time, but many of these environments have extremely high burn out rates anyway not returning was like a breath of fresh air.
    I think the issue isn't so much they can't think out of the box, or there aren't options. It's that most bosses are male no matter the industry and have quite fixed opinions on childless working women vs working mums. It seems the consensus is that working mums are a liability therefore you either don't hire them, or if they start out childless then become mums, you don't promote them. Bc a woman with 3 kids just isn't mentally in the game right? It's so nice though to see a man recognise women with a family can still make a meaningful contribution, well done to Mr Sonja

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think the issue isn't so much they can't think out of the box, or there aren't options. It's that most bosses are male no matter the industry and have quite fixed opinions on childless working women vs working mums. It seems the consensus is that working mums are a liability therefore you either don't hire them, or if they start out childless then become mums, you don't promote them. Bc a woman with 3 kids just isn't mentally in the game right? It's so nice though to see a man recognise women with a family can still make a meaningful contribution, well done to Mr Sonja
    Honestly the female partners where I came from were sadly worse than some of the men.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-04-2016)