+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Not necessarily. At firms I've worked for in the past unless you had airfares booked they would always find away to cancel or amend your leave - for genuine business reasons obviously (eg: your matter was set down for trial and they would not allow you to hand it off to another lawyer). They also would not allow half days of annual leave. personal leave for medical appointments required a half day of leave even if your appointment meant leaving 30 minutes early or arriving 30 minutes late!

Another reason could be a lack of leave. When kids have 8-12 weeks school holidays a year and you have 4 weeks annual leave (and no partner to share) it gets tricky to justify taking leave to attend a school play.
    That is horrendous

I work in oil/gas consulting and our motto is that it's never a good time to go on holiday so just do it anyway! So long as not many people are on leave at the same time people's leave requests are always approved. It's just too hard to predict when it will be busy or quiet so we encourage people to go on their holidays and the rest of the team just cope without them.
    As for having to take leave for a half an hour appointment! Insane. I can imagine in a law firm you do so much overtime anyway, seems so awful that they expect so much from their employees but give so little back

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-04-2016),Bongley  (20-04-2016),witherwings  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Possibly - I'll be googling your Sydney based client 😄
    I'll PM you the name

4. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-04-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Not wanting to speak for her, but @harvs is a teacher like myself, so it can be difficult to get time off work. You can't just ring up the parents to come & collect their kids 3 hours earlier than usual because ypu want to attend an activity with your own child. Hiring a relief teacher is expensive for the school, so while a teacher does get the usual 10 sick days a year, leave on top of that is often not possible & you just change the hours if you are a fulltime classroom teacher.
    This exactly. I think where I am we are all quite accommodating of each other ie I'm sure another teacher will take my class for a while on the morning of DS's first day of school, just as I take their class when they have to leave early for something. But that is for one off events and I wouldn't want to push it.

Also, I don't think my school parents would appreciate it if I were away a lot. There were a couple that were dubious about my return to work when I had a child anyway!
    @Ngaiz is right though. I do have leave stored up, and I could take the odd day here and there like Sports Day etc.

Lots of wisdom on this thread...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Not wanting to speak for her, but @harvs is a teacher like myself, so it can be difficult to get time off work. You can't just ring up the parents to come & collect their kids 3 hours earlier than usual because ypu want to attend an activity with your own child. Hiring a relief teacher is expensive for the school, so while a teacher does get the usual 10 sick days a year, leave on top of that is often not possible & you just change the hours if you are a fulltime classroom teacher.
    In NSW we get 14 sick days a year, it used to be 22 but they didn't accumulate but now they do.

We also get FACS leave.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    This exactly. I think where I am we are all quite accommodating of each other ie I'm sure another teacher will take my class for a while on the morning of DS's first day of school, just as I take their class when they have to leave early for something. But that is for one off events and I wouldn't want to push it.

Also, I don't think my school parents would appreciate it if I were away a lot. There were a couple that were dubious about my return to work when I had a child anyway!
    @Ngaiz is right though. I do have leave stored up, and I could take the odd day here and there like Sports Day etc.

Lots of wisdom on this thread...
    I think it depends on your boss but I took long service leave when my kids started school. I wasn't on class but I know it would've been approved even if I was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    M

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    In NSW we get 14 sick days a year, it used to be 22 but they didn't accumulate but now they do.

We also get FACS leave.
    Not to mention that we can't "take annual leave" it's automatically taken during Christmas holidays. So if you want to take a day off, it has to be sick leave, or you use one of your FACS days (family and community service), but you only get two (or four?) every two years. I can try and get colleagues to take my lessons for me if I want to go to a school thing, but that's dependent on if anyone else has a lesson off and whether they are willing to do it for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In vic we get 20 sick days. 5 do not need a medical certificate so can be used for a range of things. The sick days accumulate too so when I got glandular fever I had weeks of leave I could use and also when I was pregnant I could start my leave earlier using my sick leave before it turned into mat leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    In vic we get 20 sick days. 5 do not need a medical certificate so can be used for a range of things. The sick days accumulate too so when I got glandular fever I had weeks of leave I could use and also when I was pregnant I could start my leave earlier using my sick leave before it turned into mat leave.
    We can have 3 consecutive days without a medical certificate. If you have 5 consecutive days and can't get a medical certificate you can get one from a range of other places like pharmacists.

We don't have to have medical certs for single days but if you have too many days off without certificates then the department will flag you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    Not to mention that we can't "take annual leave" it's automatically taken during Christmas holidays. So if you want to take a day off, it has to be sick leave, or you use one of your FACS days (family and community service), but you only get two (or four?) every two years. I can try and get colleagues to take my lessons for me if I want to go to a school thing, but that's dependent on if anyone else has a lesson off and whether they are willing to do it for you!
    3 a year in NSW