+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And if you are a defence wife/partner - you don't even get past the "why do you move so much?".

I've had 3 job interviews this week and all have asked why I moved interstate. Mention Dh being defence, eyed glaze over and interview is gone. The only ones that seem to be OK with it are low skilled positions.

In my ten years as a defence partner I've never been promoted or given extra tasks to do. I've seen people who are newer/less trained move faster up the chain even when I was FT. So I gave up and went PT before we had kids.

Hugs OP. It sucks but unfortunately such is life.

Welcome to Australia - lucky country!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'll be honest. I think after a certain point one needs to return to work full time/normal hours. After say (and I'm just plucking this) 2 years if someone is working 3-4 days per week it may very well hamper career progression.

Going into a brand new potosi on part time is almost like giving a new job the kiss of death. You're stuck in that position, at that level, for eternity. Unless you go full time.
    I agree. I don't want to be P/T forever. She's still so young tho for me to leave 5 days 😞

I don't want to climb the ladder.. Just get a mid management level role less than 5 days a week. Impossible to find apparently.. Makes me so angry that the workplace isn't set up to welcome mums.. I had a good job before I had my baby and now I'm unemployable apparently! All because I was upfront about not being able to do 5 days and taking a lesser role so I could juggle being mum too..
    Honesty not always the best policy I guess..

Sorry. Bit of a rant I guess.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am lucky to be in a public sector job, so I haven't experienced such "in your face" discrimination as you have described. I use the term "lucky" loosely because I have experienced discrimination going back to work after maternity leave. I was basically marginalized working part-time. I was working 3 days a week on work that could have been finished in 1. Meetings were booked on my "leave days". Decisions were made without me. I was told that I was not eligible for consideration for a promotion because I was "only" part-time. It was lonely and depressing. And I know it was real because I went back to work full-time because I couldn't handle the pressure and my DH went part-time. He experienced the exact same thing. It's not a gender issue because he has experienced the same treatment. Male or female, in my experience of the public sector, there isn't much support for families. It was like if we couldn't be there for 5 days a week (50 hours plus) then the employer don't want you at all. My DH has coped by studying for a career change, and we're looking forward to a different lifestyle.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Camper For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-04-2016),Janesmum123  (17-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Thanks so much for your reply ( and for your support on the other thread too )..
    I took your advice and went for the full time role. It was a junior role, a great organisation only ten mins from home with a childcare centre next door. I know I stuffed up. I had one half of my brain still focusing on my baby and missed the mark on some competency questions and it had been 4 years since I'd interviewed. To not get a role with such a drop in salary and responsibly was a kick in the teeth. I guess they smelt my reluctance as they asked me at the end if I was comfortable with the 5 days. I know I've missed out to a younger girl who isn't a mum. Makes me feel so **** 😞

The pang is that being back in that environment really excited me. I miss it. I wanted that job.

I'm so glad it's all working out for you tho. You sound very strong. How old was your LO when he started 5 days in CC?
    Think of that interview as practice. Now you know what you need to work on. Remember - what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. If it's been 4 years since your last interview then just keep interviewing and sharpening your skills. Do you research before the interview and be confident - sell yourself!

I'm not strong at all Hun. I suffer from anxiety and have a history of depression but I really believe everything happens for a reason. I'm at work for my family now more than I am to forge a career. My priorities have shifted and thinking of my little man gets me through the day.

Don't get me wrong - the job I'm in isn't perfect. It's hard work, the workload is huge, there's a ton of pressure and the hours are sometimes long. I've had to stay firm right from the beginning and let them know that I need flexible hours. So I get in early, rarely take a lunch break and then I leave an hour early. Even though they advocate flexible working arrangement doesn't mean I still don't get the snide remarks or people making me feel guilty. It's tough but over the years I've gotten tough skin.

My little one started daycare at 10months. It was hard. It still is. He cries every day at drop off. But he is flourishing. He is developing so quickly it amazes me! And I see all the fun things he does at school, much more fun than anything I ever did with him hahahahaha

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsKLM For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-04-2016),JR03  (16-04-2016),Wise Enough  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    And if you are a defence wife/partner - you don't even get past the "why do you move so much?".

I've had 3 job interviews this week and all have asked why I moved interstate. Mention Dh being defence, eyed glaze over and interview is gone. The only ones that seem to be OK with it are low skilled positions.

In my ten years as a defence partner I've never been promoted or given extra tasks to do. I've seen people who are newer/less trained move faster up the chain even when I was FT. So I gave up and went PT before we had kids.

Hugs OP. It sucks but unfortunately such is life.

Welcome to Australia - lucky country!!!
    I'm sorry you're getting a raw deal too.. Hugs back xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'll be honest. I think after a certain point one needs to return to work full time/normal hours. After say (and I'm just plucking this) 2 years if someone is working 3-4 days per week it may very well hamper career progression.

Going into a brand new potosi on part time is almost like giving a new job the kiss of death. You're stuck in that position, at that level, for eternity. Unless you go full time.
    That would such a dream for most of us yet practically impossible. My two are at school and I still can't manage full time work. DH leaves at 6.30am and doesn't walk back in the door till 6pm. I am 100% responsible for all child related school requirements, sporting activities, medical requirements. How on earth can I hold down a full time job when school finishes at 3.30 and still provide my kids with all of the above.

I'd love not to work part time in a job I really dislike (5 days, 30hrs a week) and instead re-find myself and my career but the detrimental affect on my kids of being in before and after care and trying to cram all activities in late at night or weekends is just impractical.

To add insult to injury when I tried to go full time an every so lovely recruitment agent told me I was a liability to companies for having kids.

I don't want high flying corporate career, I'd just love something a job that I enjoyed and I was good at.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 16-04-2016 at 21:40.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (17-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was working full time before I went on mat leave. I tried to negotiate part time hours with my employer, but they wouldn't budge, said the position I had needed full time hours. I needed a job, so I bit the bullet and went back full time. DD was in childcare full time from 7.5 months. It was really hard at first for both of us, adjusting to the change. But now it's just part of life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    In my experience, it's not the end of my career, but it has definitely left me at a standstill while my kids aren't both at school yet. My great reputation in my current workplace, my passion for my job and track record of good work and good ideas I'm always bringing to the table now, stand for absolutely diddly squat as I only want to work 3 days a week and apparently I can't perform a higher level role on only 3 days.

Unfortunately current attitudes are that businesses seem to only be able to survive with mid to high level staff working 5 days a week and this attitude needs to change. Overall unemployment would be so much lower if businesses were hiring more part time and job share staff. How this change will start and evolve, I'm not so sure, but it needs to change.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (16-04-2016),Brain  (26-04-2016),Freyamum  (18-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKLM View Post
    Think of that interview as practice. Now you know what you need to work on. Remember - what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. If it's been 4 years since your last interview then just keep interviewing and sharpening your skills. Do you research before the interview and be confident - sell yourself!

I'm not strong at all Hun. I suffer from anxiety and have a history of depression but I really believe everything happens for a reason. I'm at work for my family now more than I am to forge a career. My priorities have shifted and thinking of my little man gets me through the day.

Don't get me wrong - the job I'm in isn't perfect. It's hard work, the workload is huge, there's a ton of pressure and the hours are sometimes long. I've had to stay firm right from the beginning and let them know that I need flexible hours. So I get in early, rarely take a lunch break and then I leave an hour early. Even though they advocate flexible working arrangement doesn't mean I still don't get the snide remarks or people making me feel guilty. It's tough but over the years I've gotten tough skin.

My little one started daycare at 10months. It was hard. It still is. He cries every day at drop off. But he is flourishing. He is developing so quickly it amazes me! And I see all the fun things he does at school, much more fun than anything I ever did with him hahahahaha
    Lol.. I'm glad he's enjoying it. Must be a relief!!

I'm just embarrassed. I work in a small sector, I knew the guy interviewing me and the boss is a family friend and I still didn't get it. I have taken it on the chin and will definitely be more prepared next time.

I also have huge anxiety and depression issues and this roles left me very anxious. I've shrunk my social circle as can't cope with seeing anyone atm.. Feel like it's coming from all angles.. I hate being unemployed..

My back up plan is to finally start the degree I always intended to do. That will keep my brain going.. And they can't make me redundant from Uni!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is so sad and something I'm struggling with too with a 9 month old DD.
    I am back working 1.5 days a week I am lucky that my current work is very flexible but my contract runs out in feb so then I'll be going back to my old old job I've been on leave from for 2 years (a secure government job I took extended leave from).
    I plan to work 2 days a week in my government job til DD is 2-3 then 3 days til she starts school. Then I hope to do school hours 5 days a week for a couple of years so I'm not looking at full time hours for a good 7 years I think. I wouldn't say my career is over but it's certainly on a totally grinding halt and I'll be stuck even though it's boring as bat sh!t just for the conditions and $. In the meantime I'm doing a masters part-time to pick up a new qualification.
    I think it depends on your field and whether you are private/government and whether you're management. The higher up you are the harder it is. I am as high as I can go for now there's no way I could get a higher role in my field part time. But I'm ok with it I've made peace with things the past few years as even before DD I made a career move to favour lifestyle over ambition for a while. As DD will be our only child I want to limit her child care to 2-3 days a week til she goes to school.