+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Not necessarily. At firms I've worked for in the past unless you had airfares booked they would always find away to cancel or amend your leave - for genuine business reasons obviously (eg: your matter was set down for trial and they would not allow you to hand it off to another lawyer). They also would not allow half days of annual leave. personal leave for medical appointments required a half day of leave even if your appointment meant leaving 30 minutes early or arriving 30 minutes late!

Another reason could be a lack of leave. When kids have 8-12 weeks school holidays a year and you have 4 weeks annual leave (and no partner to share) it gets tricky to justify taking leave to attend a school play.
    Fair point! I didn't think of that. I guess some businesses are more flexible than others. When our employees ask to leave early or arrive late for an appointment I don't even record that as leave. We are a public practice accounting firm, so very different culture to a law firm.

I think it's absolutely outrageous that they cancel your leave.

What do people do when it comes to school holidays? I'm genuinely curious.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Have you thought about starting your own law firm? What about a completely different business model?

A client of mine has a law firm that provides virtual legal counsel for businesses, so rather than employing a full time lawyer in your firm, you have these contractors on a retainer. They also provide one-off services for a set fee rather than charge by the hour. Businesses love this idea, similar to having a virtual CFO.
    Definitely considered it. At the moment (besides being 21 weeks pregnant lol) money is an issue. I don't have a principals certificate - so cannot practice on my own, and the professional indemnity costs are also a bit scary. It is definitely on the table though for 2017/18!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is your career really ruined when you have a baby?

Please don't feel guilt @harvs

Whilst my job is considered relatively family friendly and we can request leave to attend things- note it is a job not a career and we are easily replaceable- ultimately we still work public holidays and I'm due to work Christmas this year. I'm gutted by this. If I'm lucky I can find someone without kids to fill it for me but I can't keep avoiding it year after year. But I guess my point is we all have to make sacrifices somewhere. It is almost impossible to have kids and not give something up. Either be SAHM and sacrifice financial independence and security (and sanity!), or work either part time (and hamper career progression) or full time and accept sometimes we can't always be there for our kids.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 20-04-2016 at 08:34.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (20-04-2016),binnielici  (20-04-2016),Bongley  (20-04-2016),Gentoo  (20-04-2016),gingermillie  (20-04-2016),witherwings  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me personally school holidays were a mix of me taking leave, vacation care and family support. My DS1 spent many a school holiday being flown off to my sister or my dad in Sydney. He hated vacation care with a passion so intruded to limit that as much as possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely considered it. At the moment (besides being 21 weeks pregnant lol) money is an issue. I don't have a principals certificate - so cannot practice on my own, and the professional indemnity costs are also a bit scary. It is definitely on the table though for 2017/18!
    Could you go into partnership with someone? Or you could work as a contractor for a firm like the one my client has (they are Sydney based).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can still attend special events and be a working parent. Would your employer allow you half a day off to attend a carnival, concert, award ceremony etc? How often do those come up anyway? And parent-teacher meetings happen after work hours..

Surely you can take time off work for family things with reasonable notice.. Right?

I'll be taking time off to attend whatever my kids need, I'll go out of my way to be involved. That doesn't change the fact that I want to have a career. Being a working mum and being an involved parent are not mutually exclusive concepts, and I'm surprised that so many people here are implying that they are.

Also, I understand not wanting to make sacrifices for a job that you're not passionate about, but if it's just a job that you do to bring in some $ but have no particular emotional connection with, then I can't see that as giving up a career. You can always find some sort of work to supplement the family income.
    Not wanting to speak for her, but @harvs is a teacher like myself, so it can be difficult to get time off work. You can't just ring up the parents to come & collect their kids 3 hours earlier than usual because ypu want to attend an activity with your own child. Hiring a relief teacher is expensive for the school, so while a teacher does get the usual 10 sick days a year, leave on top of that is often not possible & you just change the hours if you are a fulltime classroom teacher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Little Miss Sunshine you are exactly right we can't have it all and have to accept the consequences of our choices. I guess when those 'choices' are compounded by discrimination at work it becomes a bitter pill to swallow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not necessarily. At firms I've worked for in the past unless you had airfares booked they would always find away to cancel or amend your leave - for genuine business reasons obviously (eg: your matter was set down for trial and they would not allow you to hand it off to another lawyer). They also would not allow half days of annual leave. personal leave for medical appointments required a half day of leave even if your appointment meant leaving 30 minutes early or arriving 30 minutes late!

Another reason could be a lack of leave. When kids have 8-12 weeks school holidays a year and you have 4 weeks annual leave (and no partner to share) it gets tricky to justify taking leave to attend a school play.
    This makes me sad. Why do so few employers realise that the more flexible you are with your staff the more motivated they are.. It's simple stuff yet so few get it 😤

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-04-2016),witherwings  (20-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you go into partnership with someone? Or you could work as a contractor for a firm like the one my client has (they are Sydney based).
    Possibly - I'll be googling your Sydney based client 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me personally school holidays were a mix of me taking leave, vacation care and family support. My DS1 spent many a school holiday being flown off to my sister or my dad in Sydney. He hated vacation care with a passion so intruded to limit that as much as possible!
    Wow this sounds so hard

Thankfully my family won't have this issue because of DH being a SAHD (he is starting financial planning this year but will be self employed), and end of year holidays are sorted because my firm closes for 4 weeks over the Xmas break. Then we have a nanny for any unexpected circumstances.. I realise we have a unique situation that is outside the norm. I'm only just starting to appreciate how lucky we are!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-04-2016)