+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    In NSW public schools, you are entitled to part-time maternity leave until your youngest starts school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As I said most organisations are too sneaky to say it's because you've had kids. Instead it's performance management and opportunities not made available. The union can't help there unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    Mine hasn't been. But that's because I returned to work full time when DS was 5 months old. This was by choice. I could have taken longer, including paid leave I had accrued.
    However I wonder what it would have been like had I argued for part time. The Board Chair made it clear they thought the CEO should be full time, no questions. Even though they let the outgoing CEO work 4 days in her last 12 months - but that's another story.
    I was lucky. I had the income to pay full time care, a husband who is a farmer and whilst he can't take lots of time off consecutively, he's flexible enough that any time DS was unwell at childcare, he was able to do his fair share and more so than me to be honest.
    My organisation has an exceptional return to work record for women returning to work after bubs with 100% of staff who take parental leave returning to their own jobs when they return. Part time, full time, whatever. And I never deny anyone flexible work arrangements.
    But... This is in a social and community services organisation. It's a not for profit. Most of our staff are women, including managers. I've never made anyone redundant whilst on parental leave. I honestly had no idea of how tough it is for women in other industries, particularly corporate and for profit. I mean I'd heard about it sure, but never first hand from people who had experienced it. And it sucks.
    Do you need to hire in Sydney lol.. 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    In NSW public schools, you are entitled to part-time maternity leave until your youngest starts school.
    :0 wow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The ones that are really nasty are the ones that wait until the end of your mat leave when you really need an income back, to drop the bomb on you regarding redundancy or a back track on flexible working decisions. If they said it at the beginning you'd have a year to sort it out.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

emeraldsandsiamonds  (17-04-2016),ICanDream  (17-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm in state gov and we can take family leave for 7 years and can be part time forever if we want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Nope, no union for my profession. I am a member of professional organisations which lobby the government about IR issues in a general sense (usually about things that act in employers' favour!), but none would ever get involved in an actual IR dispute.
    @Gentoo, I think we are in the same profession. I am lucky enough to work for an organisation that is pretty forward thinking in these matters (not perfect, but certainly a long way ahead of what you experienced). I'm reasonably senior in the company and have been on the committee for one of the professional groups you mentioned.

Send me a PM if you want some support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I'm in state gov and we can take family leave for 7 years and can be part time forever if we want.
    Similar in my organisation. They're happy for me to be 3 days in my current role, but any part-time roles a level higher than what I am now simply do not exist.

So I guess I'm lucky that they can't refuse me part time hours and if I'm made redundant my package is extremely over-generous, but it's a fact it has stalled my career as I can't move up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    It was easier to quote than remember how many eeeees there are!
    I'm doing a masters in special education. I have 3 subjects done. .. 2 this term. .I'm hoping i can push through.
    I'm trying to keep my options open for head of special education or inclusion worker/coach type role. Alternatively I'd like to go into teacher training at uni. ..possibly pursue a PhD.
    In an ideal world I'd become a consultant where I help in schools for a contracted term or something and support teachers with inclusion programs.
    We shall see where it goes. But it feels right so I know it is a positive move. I'd always thought I'd be a deputy or curriculum leader by now. .. but life took different twists and turns.

In terms of killing my career. .I was very depressed about it for while. Adding the special needs child /medically complicated/sick Costantly/therapy and hospital appointments. ..the reality is no work place would want me. That's the truth.
    And I'm not into the sucking it up philosophy. My daughter comes first over my career. And although these things were a huge frustration I've just decided that it's for the best for my situation. But studying and professional development I felt was a good choice to keep moving forward. Financially is a struggle. ..we've gone from 2 pretty good incomes to having less than half what we had before.
    But as long as we're happy!
    Do you mind me asking which uni you are doing your masters through? Good luck with it & all the best, I hope it turns out really well for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    This is where NSW lacks. You can work part-time until your youngest starts school without question but any part time leave without pay after that is pretty much at the discretion of the principal. The union says to contact them if you have problems getting approved for part-time leave without pay. The school can not knock you back for part-time whilst your children aren't at school. You can have 2 years part-time leave without pay after your youngest starts school on top of 3 years full-time leave without pay but if you want to extend part-time leave without pay it it is up to the principal or you have to go permanent part-time. With my youngest starting school in 2018, I am already finding out my rights and entitlements