+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Coconut oil!

Just wondering if anybody uses coconut oil on their face for acne?

I don't know if it's the change in weather or something else but my skin has turned to crap over the last few weeks. I am prone to break outs and usually use cetaphil face wash and moisturiser for acne prone skin with a pimple spot cream overnight. This has worked well for at least the last year but doesn't seem to doing that great of a job anymore.

I want to give coconut oil a try but don't really know where to start. What's the best brand to use? Can I get it from the supermarket or is there somewhere online that I can purchase it? Is it best to use as a face wash or moisturiser? Any other tips would be great.

TIA
    Last edited by Happymum2; 16-04-2016 at 00:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shameless bump. Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you suffer breakouts do not...i repeat do not use coconut oil. It will likely make it worse. What products have you tried so far?

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest I've tried so many products over the years (since being a teenager) I couldn't name them all. The cetaphil products were really good but the last few weeks my skin has been terrible. Maybe it's just the change in seasons or something going on with my hormones and it will settle down again soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried Oxy5 or Oxy10? Benzyl peroxide is supposed to kill the bacteria that causes acne. Alternatively you can use BHA products. My favourite is Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid which is a leave on chemical exfoliant. Also her 4% BHA retexturising foam. Those 2 transformed my skin.

Have you been to the doctor to make sure there is nothing going on internally?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make sure you wash your towels and pillowcases (especially) more frequently. That may help.

I have never used coconut oil for breakouts.

Have you tried tea tree products?

Also, technically it may help (coconut oil). Just make sure you use good quality virgin coconut oil (I would suggest health food store).

Also, have you tried Moogoo products? I found those worked well for me.

And I also really liked the oil cleansers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use benzac on my skin overnight. I was told by my gp to use it as a spot treatment but I'm really sick of it bleaching everything and it dries my skin out terribly. I've had my hormones etc tested but everything has come back normal. My breakouts usually occur around ovulation time and always around my jawline etc, it's just this past month they have been far worse and I seem to be waking up with more everyday. My towels and pillow cases get washed everyday. I think I will just keep using my cetaphil products and hope that I'm just having a bad month of breakouts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Belter  (17-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how frustrating hormonal breakouts are...i get mine every month just before my period. And ocassionally at random times. My hyperpigmentation takes years to fade too. It's a struggle. It not as bad now because i overhauled my skincare routine a year ago and my skin has gotten better, but i do still get breakouts although not as bad as before.

If you really want to try oils there are ones you can use for oiler and acne prone skin but make sure you patch test first in case you get a bad reaction to it (like more pimples). Safflower oil, grape seed oil, evening primrose oil etc are alternatives. Google will give you more. Oil cleansing can be effective, you just need to be careful. You can cleanse with one oil, moisturise with another. Just be careful using oil during the day as i've read that it can breakdown the effectiveness of the sunscreen you use.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely don't use coconut oil, it will clog pores and probably make things worse.
    I'm a MooGoo fanatic, as PP said they have oil cleansers for different skin types, and specific acne cleansing/moisturising products with all natural ingredients so it could be worth giving them a try and seeing if they help.

I have super dry and sensitive skin that is prone to patches of psoriasis and breakouts, so not quite the same as your issues but I know how frustrating it can be when your skin is going bananas while you're trying different products to find something that helps! Good luck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ladies. I'll have a look into the moogoo products.