+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think there is no better or more imlortant job in the world than being a sahm or sahd.

If you choose to stay home for the sake of your children i think that makes you a great person

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

Homeschooling4  (16-04-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (16-04-2016),mrsboyts  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think women in general are judgemental about the child-rearing choices we make. Return to work early; you are getting child care to raise your children. Stay at home to look after your children & you are living off government benefits. I am a sahm with a 1,3 & 5yo. 'Society' doesnt value me as a sahm. But I am an Early childhood teacher, so I could run a family daycare in my home with 4 children wno are not my own. Voila! I am making money & am valuable again. Doing the exact same work, with someone else's kids instead of my own. I do volunteer work in my community 2-3 days a week. I still dont know if I'm 'valued' for it - it's unpaid,so my guess is no... but I am working outside the home doing it,so maybe yes?

Either way, we will be judged for what we do by someone. Child care costs the taxpayer a lot,so does FTB, and so does school - according to the thread on educational funding the other day, you are saving the taxpayer appx 10k per child per year to educate them at home. I say it all evens out in the end I would try to ignore stupid comments like hers, or remind her hos much you are SAVING thd government by not using child care or school

ETA - I will be a SAHM until ny youngest is preschool age at the least. Child care isnt right for *my* family, & I personally dont ever want to put my kids in child care. There is nothing wrong with that. Just as there is nothing wrong with homeschooling until a child is 18, or returning to work when your child is 3 months old. Women fought long and hard to give us the choices we have today. Lets be thankful for our choices and embrace them, whatever they may be!
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 15-04-2016 at 23:51.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-04-2016),amiracle4me  (16-04-2016),BornToBe  (16-04-2016),Homeschooling4  (16-04-2016),LoveLivesHere  (16-04-2016),mrswhitehouse  (16-04-2016),MsViking  (16-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-04-2016),Tiny Dancer  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely it was rude.
    Also as an aside it costs the government around $10k in funding per child at school so unless your benefits total more than $40k then you are saving them money (point this out to your sister). So if ftb is all you receive you probably pay it all back out buying supplies etc for their education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    Of course it is rude.

My reply would be "I am a stay at home Mum, but I get zero from the government, not that it's any of your business".
    This is what I would say too. How rude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    Of course it is rude.

My reply would be "I am a stay at home Mum, but I get zero from the government, not that it's any of your business".
    This exactly. I find it extremely rude and offensive as a sahm who receives nothing from the government.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    it's actually none of anyone's business why you would choose to be a sahm. just like it's nobody's business how much your make if you choose to work, or any other personal thing. it's like asking someone what they like doing in bed. it's nobody's business!

I'm shocked anyone would be so rude. they definitely sound uneducated and severely lacking in manners.

I think people (dumb people) think because a sahm is receiving government benefits funded by dumb person via taxes paid, they somehow get to have an opinion on sahm's choice to stay home and be a mum. it's like they think that, indirectly, they're somehow the boss and paying sahm's "wages" themselves and therefore their f.ckbrain opinion "counts".

honestly don't let anyone make you feel less than for being a sahm. it's a tough job. going to work and hiding at your desk for 9 hours a day is much easier.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeschooling4 View Post
    Yes he does.
    Ok. The reason I asked is I thought maybe your sister was upset bc she felt the whole family was on benefits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I suspect the comments may have more to do with her disagreeing with your decision to home school than if you were a Sahm while you're kids attended regular school.

Homeschooling is still largely unheard of in many circles and yes if I'm honest if my sister told me she was homeschooling her kids I'd be shocked. I don't even know why really. I just think I would be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd tell her to mind her own business and worry about her family and her kids.
    I've been given comments on being on Centrelink before from family yes we struggled for many years and dos rely on benefits. But now my husband earns a good income we get zero benefits and pay a fortune in tax so I feel no guilt what so ever my kids were and are always my priority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it is rude. It is also stupid in its inaccuracy. Nobody stays home BECAUSE the government pays them. They stay home for lots of reasons usually related to thinking that being home and being the full time primary career of their child is what's best for them. Government payments (if you get them) are the 'how' not the 'why'. If my sister said this to me I would truly believe that she was just being ridiculous and therefore it would be easier for me to let the comments roll right off my shoulders. X