+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rude?

If you're a sahm and somebody said to you "so you're only staying home because the government pays you"
    How would you feel? What would you say?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd be pretty annoyed, but whether or not I would.say something would depend on who it was. It would probably be "well actually I stay at home to look after my kids. But if that's what you want to believe, go right ahead. Nothing I say will change your mind."

If I didn't know them, then I would just roll my eyes and walk away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    well of course it's rude. incredibly rude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I would say that it's a bonus but not the only reason. I would explain that it's great that the government are able to support women to stay at home for as long as possible with their kids.

I wouldn't think It was rude, I would just think that person was uneducated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Of course it is rude.

My reply would be "I am a stay at home Mum, but I get zero from the government, not that it's any of your business".

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're homeschooling 4 kids then you're actually saving the government money.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Homeschooling4  (15-04-2016),Ngaiz  (15-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would need to consider the specific circumstances and whether there was any truth to the statement.

There might be a few cases where that statement is true - for example women on mat leave who would be back at work already if it wasn't for ppl. In those cases I would probably still think they were a little rude and go "yeah - what's your point?".

If there was no truth to the statement if it was a stranger I would probably just give them a look and walk off. Someone I knew I would probably gob off back to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister said this. She doesn't have any kids in school yet. I have four school ages children but we started home schooling last year. She didn't agree with it. She told me I should get a job. I told her I wasn't ready as my youngest is only 2. Before he was born though I was working part time (2 half days a week). If I got a job at night (2 nights) I wouldn't mind for a bit of extra money but I'm in no hurry to work full time.
    She went on to say that if I got a job we would be able to afford to spoil the kids. My children get what they need and what they want within reason. I told her I would rather have less money and more time with my children and family then be working just to pay for daycare and missing out on their lives. I said i enjoy spoiling my children with quality time.
    Last edited by Homeschooling4; 15-04-2016 at 18:28.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like you said all the right things.

Honestly who cares what other people think.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah. You said all the right things.

She is rude. It's probably a case of 'she does not have kids and does not understand' but it still does not excuse what she said (which is rude!).

Nothing wrong with being a SAHP. It is a personal choice.