+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 26 month old wont sit on toilet or potty

Hi,

My DS has been telling me for a good three months now he wants to go to the toilet and flush it and is very interested in everything DH and I do toilet wise, however he wont sit on the potty or on the toilet.
    He is also interested in the toilet flushing and what other kids do at daycare.

so a few times we have tried to get him to sit on the potty and we also have one of those step things that go over the big toilet in bright colours so he has a choice to go potty or toilet. He just wont go sit on either.

Ive had him run around in his jocks all morning and he remained dry for three hours. I asked him a bunch of times if he needed to wee and if he wanted to sit on the toilet but he wont do it. I even tried bribing him with stickers but he started crying and said no toilet.

he talks heaps so he would be able to communicate with us and he has been telling us "poo" right before he does it in his nappy so he would be able to tell us. I think the awareness is there.

what can i do to get him to go? Do you think its still too early to toilet train?

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds sounds similar. The only time he has sat on the potty is when I've sung wiggles songs. He didn't use it though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think no as both my older girls were day and night trained by 2yo.

You need to either persist or pick it up later. Choice is yours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a fan of early toileting (DD sstarted using a potty at 10m, out of day nappies by 21m). However my son didn't take to it like her. Like yours, started showing so many readiness signs from 18m onward but wouldn't actually go! We could get him to sit on a little potty but not the toilet.

We went cold turkey just after Christmas when he was 2.5. I would have started earlier but work circumstances made it impossible. It took him about a week to get wees 99% sorted, poos have been another thing altogether. After 3 months though he will tell me when he needs to poo during the day and go on the toilet, but mostly he waits til his night nappy is on or does it in the morning just after he wakes before he comes out to say good morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by someonesomewhere View Post
    Hi,

My DS has been telling me for a good three months now he wants to go to the toilet and flush it and is very interested in everything DH and I do toilet wise, however he wont sit on the potty or on the toilet.
    He is also interested in the toilet flushing and what other kids do at daycare.

so a few times we have tried to get him to sit on the potty and we also have one of those step things that go over the big toilet in bright colours so he has a choice to go potty or toilet. He just wont go sit on either.

Ive had him run around in his jocks all morning and he remained dry for three hours. I asked him a bunch of times if he needed to wee and if he wanted to sit on the toilet but he wont do it. I even tried bribing him with stickers but he started crying and said no toilet.

he talks heaps so he would be able to communicate with us and he has been telling us "poo" right before he does it in his nappy so he would be able to tell us. I think the awareness is there.

what can i do to get him to go? Do you think its still too early to toilet train?
    I am toilet training my 23 month old DS & to get him interested I started reading him an Elmo book on Toilet training every night & now he goes to the toilet now he goes no problems.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MyDino For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-04-2016)