+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Each to their own. The more awareness the better I agree but I feel uneasy about putting my daughters in a position where they are vulnerable especially at such a young age. I may feel differently as they get a little older ( they are 5 and 2)
    It's hard to imagine 'letting them go' at 5 and 2, but as kids get older they really let you know that they need independence. And I would have found it so hard to say no to my child who had been soooo excited by the idea, and who would be one of three kids not going (two kids in the whole year said no).
    We always said we'd just be parent helpers and go to camp with our kids...but it turns out they didn't want us to come. It was an experience they wanted for themselves. You worry, of course...about lots of different things...but I don't think the worry ever goes away 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son is in year 3 and I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I'm a primary school teacher and have gone on many school camps with students in year 5,6 &7. We do a lot of planning including risk assessment... Much more thought behind it than any family holiday I would take, so it's not that I don't think they'd be in safe hands with their teachers. It's just that, personally for me, 8 is far too young.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (17-04-2016),PomPoms  (16-04-2016),SoThisIsLove  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We'll let our son go on school camps because as a teacher, I think much can be gained from them, BUT in light of what has happened in our family, whenever he goes on camp, I won't be more than five minutes away. I would arrange accommodation for myself close by so that I could get to him quickly if anything happened. I certainly wouldn't tell him I was going to be so close, as I wouldn't want him to feel smothered, but there's absolutely no way we'd let him ever go away without us being just around the corner from the camp.
    It's not that we don't trust the teachers - they're all magnificent and we trust them implicitly, but the thought of something happening to our son and me being so far away from him makes me feel sick to the stomach.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (16-04-2016),VicPark  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    We'll let our son go on school camps because as a teacher, I think much can be gained from them, BUT in light of what has happened in our family, whenever he goes on camp, I won't be more than five minutes away. I would arrange accommodation for myself close by so that I could get to him quickly if anything happened. I certainly wouldn't tell him I was going to be so close, as I wouldn't want him to feel smothered, but there's absolutely no way we'd let him ever go away without us being just around the corner from the camp.
    It's not that we don't trust the teachers - they're all magnificent and we trust them implicitly, but the thought of something happening to our son and me being so far away from him makes me feel sick to the stomach.
    I thought of you hun, when I said in a pp that I would be hesitant for my asthmatic daughter to attend a camp without me. Stayig nearby is a great idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I thought of you hun, when I said in a pp that I would be hesitant for my asthmatic daughter to attend a camp without me. Stayig nearby is a great idea.
    I TOTALLY understand how nervous you'd feel sending your little one off to camp. After losing Sian, the thought of being so far away from our son, sends me into a panic. I hate that what has happened to us, has made us this way, but it's a real fear. Nearly four years on and I still get anxious thinking about how Sian could have passed away at school or even in the hospital when I'd gone to get her some chips from McDonald's. I feel blessed that I was with her when she grew her angel wings. I was there when she came into the world and took her first breath, and I was with her when she took her last breath and left this world.
    If I was you, I'd absolutely be going as a parent helper or booking accommodation as close as possible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you be be comfortable sending your 8 year old to a school camp for 2 ni...

From a teacher's perspective, they have so much fun! It's a very rewarding experience. It's been sad when I've had a few kids who were not allowed to go, they felt really left out.
    From a mum's perspective, yes I'd be a little anxious haha but I would hide it and be 100% encouraging. If my child didn't want to go, that's a hard one..I would talk to them about all the positives, but not force them.

For those that have children with health issues, I fully understand that you would want to be a parent helper or stay close by.
    Last edited by MyLittleStar; 16-04-2016 at 23:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    OP u was thinking about th very thing this morning but was remembering my first sleep over at school in year 2 thinking that's waaaay too young.

But my DD is only just turned 4, so I'm really not sure.

When you say camp do you mean typical school camp in cabins type camp or actual camping?

I suppose if DD was happy to go, if he happy letting her.
    One of my friends daughters just had an over night camp in adel she's only year one!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our school does a sleep over in the classroom in year 1. In year 2 they Did 2 nights away in cabins and this year ( year 3) they will be doing 3 nights at a farm in tents. We had no hesitations in letting DS go. It's a small school (Steiner) and we know the teachers and parent helpers quite well. Our son loves the excursions.