+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Although I have great memories going on school camps myself. Things have changed so much since then tho, I just wouldn't trust letting our beautiful daughters stay overnight with anyone other than close family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Although I have great memories going on school camps myself. Things have changed so much since then tho, I just wouldn't trust letting our beautiful daughters stay overnight with anyone other than close family
    Have things really changed? Or are we just more paranoid because we are now parents ourselves so are aware of the possibilities?

In reality (sadly) a child is more likely to be assaulted by close family than a teacher.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (16-04-2016),Ngaiz  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you be be comfortable sending your 8 year old to a school camp for 2 ni...

Yes, we are a scouting family, I am a cub leader and my daughter does joeys, she went on and overnight camp without me the day after she turned 6 and she had a blast, in Cubs we have two night camps every terms and they also do something called Cuboree which is 4 nights camping. We have strategies for kids who miss home/ are feeling anxious or sad. I would feel anxious for my dd as I did before her last camp but I know the benefit of her gaining life experiences is way more than my anxiety is worth.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (16-04-2016),Sonja  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I would ask my ds if he wanted to go first off. If he said yes I would be ok with that in this scenario as I know the kids in his class and all the teachers at his school.

Ds started cubs a few months ago and they were doing a camp this weekend in which we are away so he isn't able to go but in this instance I wouldn't have allowed him to go as I don't know the leaders or the kids well enough yet.
    You can go as a parent helper if you have a wwc card. In our group it is very common for parents to come and help out on their first cub camp. Some parents come every time to help out as its not possible to run them without additional adult support for all the fun stuff like helping prepare meals etc and running activities.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you be be comfortable sending your 8 year old to a school camp for 2 ni...

DS went on his first camp last year at 8yo. We asked him if he felt comfortable to go as we weren't sure he would - he was 100% keen and had an awesome time. He left on the Monday and came home on the Wednesday in the same clothes he left it haha.

Prior to that he'd only had the odd sleepover at grandparents but never at friends houses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Have things really changed? Or are we just more paranoid because we are now parents ourselves so are aware of the possibilities?

In reality (sadly) a child is more likely to be assaulted by close family than a teacher.
    Yes i think things have gotten worse. And its not just teachers id be concerned about but other students and staff at the camp. How often do u hear of s.ex offenders working at schools etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Yes i think things have gotten worse. And its not just teachers id be concerned about but other students and staff at the camp. How often do u hear of s.ex offenders working at schools etc.
    I actually think our children are probably better protected than we were as children. Working with children's checks, police checks, mandatory reporting (this is relevant to us at scouts as well). We have to maintain two deep leadership at all times meaning we can't be alone with one or multiple children, we always have to have two or more registered (this requires police and working with children's check) adults present. There is also a lot more awareness and I feel our children have more awareness about what is ok and not OK, not just an oh well that's an adult so I have to do what they say type of scenario. I also think our access to instant news makes it seem like it's happening more, back when we were younger a lot of it would have gone unreported. I understand that police checks and wwc only count of the person has actually been caught but at least it eliminates the ones that have been from having access to children.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At my school camp there was a camp 'helper' who was a friend of one of the teachers who used to invite the girls to sit on his lap, and if lifting them up would be touch them in inappropriate places as he was doing so. Girls complained, but the teachet who's friend it was was adamant his friend would be doing nothing wrong.
    So, I think that kids were at just as much risk...and my experience hasn't impacted on my kids...they go to camp and have a ball. No stories of inappropriateness. I actually think society is so much more aware these days and more caution is taken to protect our kids.
    School camp is fun. It makes for such great memories and fosters independence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Each to their own. The more awareness the better I agree but I feel uneasy about putting my daughters in a position where they are vulnerable especially at such a young age. I may feel differently as they get a little older ( they are 5 and 2)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think my first school camp was year 3. I think it was 1 night and 2 days and was only 45 mins out of Sydney. Loved it, from memory, and would hope my kids have similar experiences and memories from their childhood too.