+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely I'd do it if my kid was comfortable. Our kids have their first school camp in prep. They are about an hour away and I have no concerns. There are competent adults there to look after them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Would I be anxious about it? Without a doubt, and every day I worried when dd (10yrs old at the time went on her first school 'camp' (not really camping) 5 days!
    We're overseas so things seem a lot more laid back here (I have a problem with laid back ;P) they were on the coast with my not very good swimmer, petrified of water first born- to say nervous, that's putting it extra mild.
    She wanted to go, she had a great time, and I'm glad I let her go.

I've had the opportunity to work with children, I think there are a few teachers on the hub I'm sure they'll agree that kids are very different without parents present, and a lot more self sufficient, so I kept that in mind. I'm very glad she had that experience, she still talks about how great it was.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I start to tear up when I think about DS going on school camp in 2/3 years (either year 5 or 6). To date he's never even had a sleep over. My main concern with a school camp is that whilst he is bright, well mannered etc there are also parts of him that are a little boy. He still takes his 2 teddies and dolly to bed to cuddle and his favourite undies are his mickey mouse undies.

That's not to say I wouldn't let him go, I would just be worried the whole time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I start to tear up when I think about DS going on school camp in 2/3 years (either year 5 or 6). To date he's never even had a sleep over. My main concern with a school camp is that whilst he is bright, well mannered etc there are also parts of him that are a little boy. He still takes his 2 teddies and dolly to bed to cuddle and his favourite undies are his mickey mouse undies.

That's not to say I wouldn't let him go, I would just be worried the whole time.
    FWIW a teddy / soft toy to cuddle was on my year 6's kit list for camp this year. Actually I think I've seen them on grade 8 camp lists as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    FWIW a teddy / soft toy to cuddle was on my year 6's kit list for camp this year. Actually I think I've seen them on grade 8 camp lists as well.
    Yep. We always did too. One year actually we kidnapped them and held them for ransom...we made videos/ransom notes. ..kids thought it was hilarious. And they got them safely returned by bed time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Actually some of the year 5 and 6 kids are currently on an excursion to China - 6 teachers with 28 kids ( only a 1/4 of the kids in those classes went on that excursion ) I think it would be a great experience but I'd be more worried about that I suppose that's he's in a different country and so far away !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Actually some of the year 5 and 6 kids are currently on an excursion to China - 6 teachers with 28 kids ( only a 1/4 of the kids in those classes went on that excursion ) I think it would be a great experience but I'd be more worried about that I suppose that's he's in a different country and so far away !
    Dd1 had the option to go to china grade5. We wanted her to go with her dad as a supervisor but it ended up way to expensive.
    Our grade 6 kids do the 10 day canberra and Sydney trip. Which involves 2 planes to get there.

I don't send dd2 on camp as she has trouble eating in public so it means she won't eat while on camp. She was so sick and lost so much weight after her canberra trip that we decided in consultation with her Dr that it wasn't a good idea for her to go on camps.

No kids or other parents at school knows her why she doesn't go.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes i am happy to sent my kids.
    My two older boys never got to experience school camps as there was a bad experience the year before so they cancelled all school camps! (they are now 21 and 19)
    I now have two younger kids at school and ds is to go on a two night camp at the end of May he is in grade 4! They had a sleep over in grade 1 for one night at Underwater world on the Sunshine Coast then they had a sleep over at school as well in the same year.(different terms) Last year they had a one night camp also... He has had a blast and loves going! Our school is very small so the groups are small and they are all very well looked after

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SammiJane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Camp, yes.
    Trip to China in year 5 without one of us accommodating...h3ll no.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (16-04-2016)