+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be comfortable with it. I remember my first camp was in grade 2. I loved school camps and yes I missed my parents but I was fine.
    School camps are a great team building time as well as awesome for confidence. There are so many benefits. Grade 3 isn't really that young, considering grade 6 is the last year of primary school. I would hate for my kids to miss out on school camps and excursions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    Don't have kids yet, but I'd like to think I would be okay with it. I was never allowed to go on any camps that came up and I felt like I was really missing out. As an adult, I still feel like I missed out on some great experiences. I think it's really unfair to deny your child something like that. I understand the fear, but I still think it's unfair.
    I'm a little offended by this, I don't think it's unfair at all and I don't think it denying an 8 year old anything. There's plenty more years for them to go on camp at an older age. Personally I've never wanted to go camping even as a small child. As PPs have said it really depends on the child.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    OP u was thinking about th very thing this morning but was remembering my first sleep over at school in year 2 thinking that's waaaay too young.

But my DD is only just turned 4, so I'm really not sure.

When you say camp do you mean typical school camp in cabins type camp or actual camping?

I suppose if DD was happy to go, if he happy letting her.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'd be fine if my kids were OK with it. I've been with kids on school camps and they love it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (15-04-2016),TheGooch  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It would depend on the child. The teachers and how far away etc... as general thing I think it would be okay if it was close. (No more than a hour drive or boat ride away)
    Some of mine would have been on at that age but others no way in freaking he'll. My dd2 has been on a camp for a week in another state. But I have learnt camp is harmful for HER so now I don't let her go. She now in grade 9. I won't force my kids to go just because the school say they are compulsory.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6yo will be going on an overnight excursion for one night later this year with school but I will be chaperoning. Everything for us is pretty far, this excursion will be 3+ hours away. (There is nothing within a 2 hour radius from here). If there was a 1 or 2 night camp next year for example, I would be happy to let him go BUT it's a really small school (<30 students) so I personally know every child and every staff member so I would say that helps.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It would depend on my child. My DD had her first school camp last year in grade 4, and that was fine. But she wouldn't have been ready for it the year before.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep, especially with the teachers our school has. Dd was extremly jeleous of the yr 4s getting to go on camp last term (she's yr 3) but she is really looking forward to the yr 3 school sleepover this term.
    I'm glad she wants to do these sorts of things and I will never hold her back, I never wanted to do these things and had anxiety about sleepovers for most of my childhood and looking back I feel I really missed out on some great experiences because of this.

My ds however I'm sure I will be a lot more nervous about with his peanut allergy and not being able to monitor what he is eating but it has to happen eventually.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    I'm a little offended by this, I don't think it's unfair at all and I don't think it denying an 8 year old anything. There's plenty more years for them to go on camp at an older age. Personally I've never wanted to go camping even as a small child. As PPs have said it really depends on the child.
    All I know is my own experience. For me, I felt it was unfair and I feel like I missed out even now. I don't see why that's offensive. I'm not applying this to neuroatypical children or those who don't actually want to go.