+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't have kids yet, but I'd like to think I would be okay with it. I was never allowed to go on any camps that came up and I felt like I was really missing out. As an adult, I still feel like I missed out on some great experiences. I think it's really unfair to deny your child something like that. I understand the fear, but I still think it's unfair.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it depends on the child.

If the child is comfortable being away from their home for 2 nights, is relatively sensible and has good relationships with their peers - possibly.

My DS is only 5 and has ASD - I don't know what he'll be like when he's 8. I would be most concerned about him absconding from the camp or being bullied by his peers. Actually, there would be a whole lot of things I'd also be concerned with that parents of a neurotypical child wouldn't need to consider. I'd say the chances of me letting him go would be slim to none.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My oldest two are 10 and 8 and yes, I'd send them (I would fret because I'm a pretty anxious soul but I'd still send them.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I think it depends on the child.

If the child is comfortable being away from their home for 2 nights, is relatively sensible and has good relationships with their peers - possibly.
    This

When I was little overnight school camp started in grade 3. It was less than an hour from home and one night. I loved it and would have hated to miss out. But agree it depends on the child.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely. 2 nights is not unusual for a grade 3 camp and they're usually not far away.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We had a play date yesterday with our kindy class and one mum was saying she's very nervous about letting her 3rd class son go on the 3 day school camp next term - it's for 2 nights, 2 X year 3 classes approx 44 boys their 4 teachers plus I think a few camp staff , probably half the mums agreed while the other half thought it would be a great experience - would you be comfortable letting your child go at that age?
    NO. DSD has her first, and second, camps this year and she is 10.
    We aren't 100% comfortable about it but know she will be fine.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would ask my ds if he wanted to go first off. If he said yes I would be ok with that in this scenario as I know the kids in his class and all the teachers at his school.

Ds started cubs a few months ago and they were doing a camp this weekend in which we are away so he isn't able to go but in this instance I wouldn't have allowed him to go as I don't know the leaders or the kids well enough yet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would be fine with it. Last year kiddo went on camp not long after he turned 8 for 1 night. He loved it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you be be comfortable sending your 8 year old to a school camp for 2 ni...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD has severe asthma & has had multiple midnight trips to hospital in an ambulance, &has had some quite close calls. So I would be hesitant for that reason alone - a different environment can trigger an asthma attack. It would depend on how far away an ambulance would be, the confidence of her caregivers/their experience with asthma. I would be open to driving her there &bringing her home to sleep, or DH or I stayong as a parent helper.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post: