+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sunshine Coast Parents- advice please 🌞

Hello,
    DH and I have decided to make the move from TAS to the sunshine coast. We are both head over heels inlove with the coast lifestyle, and are planning to make the move soon.
    We have DS 8yo and DD 5yo.
    We are wondering what areas are best to live in for families (and affordable), any areas to avoid? We would prefer to live as close to the coast as possible. What schools have a good reputation, any to avoid? Our kids currently attend a catholic private school in Tas. However, we are open to public education too. Is the public education system good on sunny coast? Any help will be very very appreciated.
    Thanks so much in advance
    Last edited by sunseeker; 15-04-2016 at 09:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congrats on the decision to move! You won't regret it 😊. I only say this because my DH is from north west Tas and moved here about 10 years ago. His parents followed soon after! I love tassie though, we got married in Hobart.

Where to start... It really depends on the lifestyle you're after and your budget. How close you want to be to beach, shops etc. whether you like a quiet area or a more built up, lively area. Also where you will be working - access to highway and public transport are considerations.

Most of your mod cons, shops and businesses are located in Maroochydore. However I wouldn't personally live in Maroochydore, there are far nicer places to live. I would choose something within 10 mins to Maroochydore - which isn't hard, the coast isn't a massive place and the traffic rarely bad. Similar to tassie really... (Well the cities in tas that is!).

The sunshine motorway is the main road south to north so if you can live somewhere with easy access to this it will make life easier.

Good coastal suburbs IMO:
    Beachside (more pricey):
    Alexandra Headland
    Mooloolaba (busy)
    Twin Waters
    Buddina
    Coolum

Coastal:
    Mountain Creek
    Buderim
    Bli Bli

Caloundra and Noosa are the border suburbs south and north - If you decided to live there, it's about half hour to the 'middle' of the coast. Fine if you work there and/or plan to school there.

School it really depends if you want public or private. Lots of good private schools - although you'd need to contact them regarding availability. Immanuel, Mountain Creek, SC Grammar are the more centrally located schools with good reputations. Mountain Creek for state, Buderim and Bli Bli state primary schools also good but don't have high school - could be good options while you figure out where you want to go.

You can PM me if you want any more info 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and Stella Maris is a good catholic primary school - one of the more affordable private schools. But they don't have high school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much! Wow, that's so funny that your dh is a Taswegian too haha. We are from North Tas. So, much busier than north west coast...but I do feel the same vibe on sc as tas, except it's gorgeous and warm.
    Hobart is beautiful. I lived there for seven years. So pretty. Thanks for the advice. We are currently here checking out suburbs. I think Coolum beach/Mt coolum looks great so far. Do families live in apartmemts/townhouses here? Is that normal? It just seems to live in a house, it is so much more expensive, both rentals and to buy!
    So much excitement. Thanks so much for your help. Greatly appreciated!!! ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Coolum is great - we rented there for 6 months before we bought our current house. Very family friendly, has the essentials but not too busy. About 15 mins to maroochydore.

Yes property is a little overpriced -especially in Coolum. Check Yaroomba and Mt Coolum also, the southern 'sisters' of Coolum. Most families live in houses, there are some townhouses but might be a bit cramped with 2 kids? Probably OK to rent though.

You could also look a little further south to Marcoola - more budget than Coolum - or Mudjimba. Smaller suburbs though so probably not as much choice.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'll second everything that Sunnygirl said

We rented in Mt Coolum for a year and just brought a place at Yaroomba. Love both suburbs.

A couple of extra tips:

Some of the more southern areas (Mudjimba, Marcoola) get some aircraft noise as they are on the flight path but the sunny coast airport isn't very busy - might or might not bother you.

Perigean Springs is a new suburb just north of Coolum and quite well priced. It doesn't quite have the same coastal vibe as other areas IMO but it's very popular, especially with families.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the advice sunny girl and baby no1 on board. Very appreciated advice indeed. It makes the world of difference having advice from locals!
    We are currently staing in marcoola (research holidaying) and the plane noise is quite minimal. Heading to goldy for a week tomorrow... we have been here for a week, and I don't want to go! We love the sunny coast so very much!
    We will check out perigean springs and yaroombla today.
    Any suggestions for our last day here? We have been to coolum water park, noosa, mooloolaba beach and underwater world ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by princessbubbles7 View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice sunny girl and baby no1 on board. Very appreciated advice indeed. It makes the world of difference having advice from locals!
    We are currently staing in marcoola (research holidaying) and the plane noise is quite minimal. Heading to goldy for a week tomorrow... we have been here for a week, and I don't want to go! We love the sunny coast so very much!
    We will check out perigean springs and yaroombla today.
    Any suggestions for our last day here? We have been to coolum water park, noosa, mooloolaba beach and underwater world ☺
    Noosa national park if the weather is fine. I'm in brissy today so not sure if it's raining

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

sunseeker  (18-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by princessbubbles7 View Post
    Hello,
    DH and I have decided to make the move from TAS to the sunshine coast. We are both head over heels inlove with the coast lifestyle, and are planning to make the move soon.
    We have DS 8yo and DD 5yo. 👫
    We are wondering what areas are best to live in for families (and affordable), any areas to avoid? We would prefer to live as close to the coast as possible. What schools have a good reputation, any to avoid? Our kids currently attend a catholic private school in Tas. However, we are open to public education too. Is the public education system good on sunny coast? Any help will be very very appreciated.
    Thanks so much in advance 😊
    Following..

Would love to do this.

Do you have employment there princess bubbles or are you moving before you find something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up on the Sunny Coast and then lived there for a few years after going to uni and overseas for ten years. Now on the Gold Coast but I miss the SC, and this thread is making me miss it more!

I love the Coolum/ Yaroomba/ Peregian area. Peregian village has such an amazing little vibe. ☺️

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (18-04-2016)