+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default When does parenting become abusive?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I think people are confusing sending their kids to bed as punishment for not eating dinner and just a general going to bed without dinner as they don't want anything or aren't hungry.

My dd1 can often go to bed without dinner- I always offer her something she will eat, or at last resort a cup of milk before bed, it's up to her if she eats or not. If she is hungry she will. That's not a punishment. That's a choice.

I think the list is pretty flawed actually. Vague and incomplete, and I'm disgusted it implies spanking is ok until it leaves a mark. However, if people are reading this and thinking they do those things listed often then maybe they do need to think about their parenting.

Everyone else can laugh it off as complete toss knowing they aren't abusive or neglectful.
    Re dinner no I'm not confused.

The difference is whose choice it is. If the child chooses to not eat then of course it's ok. If the parent makes that choice then no it's not OK for me and I would never do that.
    Last edited by Sonja; 15-04-2016 at 16:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    The difference is whose choice it is. If the child chooses to not eat then of course it's ok. If the parent makes that choice then no it's not OK for me and I would never do that.
    I'm the same. But as I said, she often goes to bed without dinner- but it's because she doesn't WANT dinner. She eats much better at lunch. I think that's completely different to can be construed from reading the list that it's neglectful if your kids go the bed without dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    I'm the same. But as I said, she often goes to bed without dinner- but it's because she doesn't WANT dinner. She eats much better at lunch. I think that's completely different to can be construed from reading the list that it's neglectful if your kids go the bed without dinner.
    If that's the way people read it then that's silly. It would be abusive to force a kid to eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    LMS, I agree that the list is vague. There could be a great mother thinking she's abusing her child when she sends them to bed without dinner, because they've refused (like in your dd's case). On the flip side, a parent that actually is abusive would get affirmation that it's perfectly acceptable to repeatedly smack their child as long as they don't leave a mark. As a previous poster said, their parent would use it as 'proof' they're not abusive. It leaves way too many variances.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If that's the way people read it then that's silly. It would be abusive to force a kid to eat.
    But that's my point. The list is vague and easy to read things into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It seems silly, but you only have to read some posts on bh from parents that are really anxious to see how people may falsely think they're being abusive 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    But that's my point. The list is vague and easy to read things into it.
    Well if people are parenting based on dr Phil 😳

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

delirium  (15-04-2016),misskittyfantastico  (15-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't put much stock in what "Dr" Phil says. He's not actually a qualified doctor/psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist, etc. He can say things that are relevant at times, but honestly, he's not much more than a talk show host with a degree.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    I wouldn't put much stock in what "Dr" Phil says. He's not actually a qualified doctor/psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist, etc. He can say things that are relevant at times, but honestly, he's not much more than a talk show host with a degree.
    He has a PhD in psychology. No he's not a psychologist but I believe he used to be. Being on tv must pay more 😎

Thanks
    Reviews
    He has a PhD in psychology. No he's not a psychologist but I believe he used to be. Being on tv must pay more 😎
    I'm currently looking at his stats on wiki. According to the Forbes 2015 list, he was the 15th highest earning celebrity in the world 😮