+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2yr old boy, Speech delay.

Hi guys! I have a very cheeky little boy who is turning two this month. I'm concerned about his speech. He uses simple words: mum, dad, grandma, grandpa...but not much else. He repeat most words but won't use them on his own, he understands pretty much everything and follows instructions. He uses his own 'language' and points to things when he wants them/needs them. We speak two languages at home.He's a very social and active little boy, very aware of his sorroundings. Just wondering if any other mumma has had similar issues with their LO.
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same concerns with my DS2. He was hardly talking at 2 years old. He understood instructions, just didn't communicate back. Relatives commented, and I'm a nervous-nelly so it freaked me out. But now at 3 and a half he is a complete chatterbox. He got there in his own time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's wonderful to hear! I'm experiencing comments from family/friends too. He'll be starting daycare soon so I'm hoping that will help him too. Did you seem any advice or speech therapy at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worried about it, but my GP told me to relax and not worry until he was closer to 3. I think if I wanted a referral he would have given me one, but I trusted him. And the fact that DS2 obviously understood complex instructions ( "do this, then that, then that" ) gave me comfort it wasn't a hearing problem. He just didn't want/need to talk!

If it is worrying you, push for a referral to a speech therapist. It can't hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've heard that bilingual children typically take longer to start talking so that could be contributing?
    My son is the same (only English though), I figure we'll get him checked out at his 2 year check up and see what the doctor thinks.
    There was a similar thread a couple of weeks ago, I think a lot of people advised seeing a ST sooner than later if there was any doubts since early intervention makes such a difference.